By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Russia and Ukraine flashpoint

Around the Network

S.Peelman said:

So, in a turn of events no one could have ever foreseen, Putin-opponent Boris Nadezjdin is disallowed to run for president in the next election because too many of the signatures he needed had 'errors'.

Pretend to be shocked.

Lol.

Boris was the anti-war opponent as well I think?

I wonder how the useful idiots in the West explain away situations like these, I've seen how they jump to Russia's defence on NATO but I've never seen how they explain how coincidentally every Putin opponent ends up either locked up, dead or "having errors" in their elections which result in them being kicked out of the running.

What a silly boy that Boris is, oh well, looks like it's Putin again because everybody else "made mistakes" /s.

Understanding the context is crucial. Putin perceives 2024 as a pivotal year, viewing it as a window of opportunity for Russia to potentially shift the dynamics of the war in Ukraine in its favor. He anticipates a temporary gap in Western military support, with ammunition production expected to ramp up only by early 2025. Concurrently, the U.S. election cycle might lead to a less decisive American geopolitical strategy towards supporting Kyiv, and the European Union, facing its own internal disagreements, is unlikely to compensate for this support on its own. Moreover, Ukraine could be grappling with significant internal political challenges, especially with the anticipated resignation of Zaluzhny.

In this scenario, Putin's immediate goal is to convince the West, particularly Washington, to dismiss Zelensky and to encourage a new, potentially more pliable Ukrainian government to enter negotiations with Russia (Putin thinks that this is how it works). However, Putin's aim for these negotiations is not to seek a tangible compromise but to halt Kyiv's military resistance, paving the way for what he sees as eventual capitulation (a regime friendly to Russia and all that follows).

Against this strategic backdrop, Putin badly needs to reach a Western audience. It is probable that during the interview, he will attempt to position himself as a friend to the American people, arguing that it is in the U.S.'s interest to cease its support for Ukraine. He is likely to brand himself as a peacemaker, contrasting his stance with that of the current U.S. administration, which he accuses of prolonging the conflict at Ukraine's expense. Thus, the interview is a platform for Putin to widen his access to American viewers and garner support for his narrative.

Trump’s already back and America has ditched Ukraine. What does Europe do now? – POLITICO

"We're not focused on Plan B," Jake Sullivan, the president's national security adviser, said in Brussels on Wednesday after a NATO meeting with his counterparts. "We're focused on plan A," which he said meant passing a bipartisan aid package that will enable Ukraine to "defend effectively and to take back territory that Russia currently occupies."

What Happens if U.S. Support for Ukraine Collapses? - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

They don't have a Plan B because Lend-Lease has expired.

Around the Network

Ryuu96 said:
S.Peelman said:

So, in a turn of events no one could have ever foreseen, Putin-opponent Boris Nadezjdin is disallowed to run for president in the next election because too many of the signatures he needed had 'errors'.

Pretend to be shocked.

Lol.

Boris was the anti-war opponent as well I think?

I wonder how the useful idiots in the West explain away situations like these, I've seen how they jump to Russia's defence on NATO but I've never seen how they explain how coincidentally every Putin opponent ends up either locked up, dead or "having errors" in their elections which result in them being kicked out of the running.

What a silly boy that Boris is, oh well, looks like it's Putin again because everybody else "made mistakes" /s.

Yeah this is the man who wants to repair relations with the collective West, stop the war and release political prisoners. Can't have that.

I met with General Valerii Zaluzhnyi.
I thanked him for the two years of defending Ukraine.
We discussed the renewal that the Armed Forces of Ukraine require.
We also discussed who could be part of the renewed leadership of the Armed Forces of Ukraine.
The time for such a renewal is now.
I proposed to General Zaluzhnyi to remain part of the team.
We will definitely win!
Glory to Ukraine!

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 08 February 2024

“In the first, most difficult days of the big war, we stood against a vile and powerful enemy. We prevailed together. Our battle continues and changes daily. The tasks of 2022 are different from the tasks of 2024. Therefore, everyone must change and adapt to new realities as well. To win together too.

We just met with the Supreme Commander. An important and serious conversation. A decision was made about the need to change approaches and strategy. I’m grateful to everyone who stands by my side. To the team of the General Staff, the Ministry of Defense, the President of Ukraine. I am proud of everyone in the Armed Forces of Ukraine who protect the future of our children.

All soldiers, sergeants and officers. I bow my head to all those who gave their lives for Ukraine and freedom. We will remember and take revenge for everyone.

Ukrainians will definitely win.

Glory to Ukraine!”

The farewell speech by General Valeriy Zaluzhny.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 08 February 2024