By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Russia and Ukraine flashpoint

shavenferret said:

Impending shutdown of funding to Ukraine......... so Biden really wants to help but he may not be able to help as much. Perhaps if Ukraine was able to gain greater political standing with say being included into the E.U. it would be able to get more help. I also hope that even if cutting off funding, that the USA could still give valuable intel to Ukraine. Isn't direction of the military controlled by the president? Then if intel is a part of that then even the damn republicans won't be able to stop it until the next president comes in.

The Republicans fucking around is a bit concerning but I don't believe we're quite there yet. There is still a couple billion left in the PDA (I think around $2bn) for Biden to use which was approved last year, I know House removed Ukraine funding from the main budget bill but there is talk that the Ukraine funding will be voted on in separate budget bills. The most recent of which was passed by a vote of 311-117 for $300m in Ukraine funding. However if Government shuts-down which could be likely and Ukraine doesn't get a larger bill passed within the next 45 days then that would be bad. These next 45 days will be crucial for America's support to Ukraine.

I'm assuming intel would be covered by NATO.

If worst comes to worst, there is still Lend-Lease, it has not been used thus far but it was approved already and precisely for a scenario like this, I do not believe Biden needs Congressional approval to send things via Lend-Lease as it has already been passed specifically for Ukraine. The entire purpose of Lend-Lease is to skip bureaucracy (Congress) and send weapons quicker, subject to the approval of the President. The only reason it hasn't been used yet is because it's a loan and Ukraine obviously isn't in a good place to start owing people billions and they won't be for a very long time, America doesn't want to cripple Ukraine with debt obviously, so it's not ideal but still an option.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 05 October 2023

Around the Network

So, seems like Ukraine will get one more Patriot system from Germany in the next Winter after Scholz met Zelenskyy today.

crissindahouse said:

So, seems like Ukraine will get one more Patriot system from Germany in the next Winter after Scholz met Zelenskyy today.

Launcher or system?

Ryuu96 said:
crissindahouse said:

Launcher or system?

A whole system as much as I know from the little info I got from the news. Rumor is that It might be a system which is stationed in Poland atm. 

Ryuu96 said:

"In addition to the question of geodata and possible personnel, German government representatives are also said to have expressed concern that the Kerch Bridge to the Crimean peninsula could be hit with Taurus cruise missiles. According to the information, there have been talks with British government representatives in recent weeks who wanted to convince Germany of the delivery. At the same time, the German side had expressed concrete concern that the bridge in Crimea could be destroyed with German weapons."

DER SPIEGEL

So F*cking What?!?!

How...Just how, are there countries still this cowardly after all this time, after everything we've seen, it's so frustrating.

Ukraine has to show the West for the 1,000th time that Russia is all bark and no bite. I swear Ukraine could drop a Storm Shadow on Moscow itself, on the fucking Kremlin, and even if Russia didn't do anything back to the UK, we'd still have some in the West like "but what about escalation!?!?!" in regards to sending certain weaponry.

How many times!

• Supplying Ukraine and aiding Ukraine was a red line, Russia was meant to punish us for that, they didn't.
  • Tanks were a red line, Russia was meant to punish us for that, they didn't.
  • Long range cruise missiles were a red line, Russia was meant to punish us for that, they didn't.
  • Storm Shadow, a UK missile, just destroyed a fucking Russian submarine.
  • Western equipment HAS entered Russia in the past, Russia did f*ck all about it.

How many goddamn Russian "red lines" does Ukraine have to show to the West that they mean f*ck all?

As a german myself, I thought quite a lot about this. The first thing that comes to mind is the notorious german angst, of course. Deeply rooted insecurity leads germans to be very planning and risk-averse, that's kind of the stereotype and as with many stereotypes, there's truth to that. However, thinking about it further, this line of analysis seems quite one-dimensional. We are in a complicated geopolitical game, after all, and reducing the actions of one player to something as simple as cowardice seems amiss, especially when all evidence suggests that there actually isn't that much to be afraid of, as Ryuu laid out so many times already. Playing into this german angst stereotype, having the world think of germany as cowardly, that might just be what's intended by the german government, as a veil for their true strategy.

Fact is that the war in Ukraine is bad for Russia. Really bad. It's an economic, demographic and geopolitical disaster. A fast victory for Ukraine might be the best possible outcome for Russia at this point, in my opinion. Not for Putin and his cronies, oh no, but for Russia overall, I think so. On the other hand, the worst thing for Russia would be a long, drawn out grind, where no victory can be won, but where the people in charge still can't back down because that would hurt them politically. It's a bit like the US involvement in Afghanistan, a conflict of 20 years and with a monetary cost of mayben 1 trillion USD, depending on who you ask. In the end it was all for nothing, of course. There was no lasting victory, it was just bad for the US (and even more so for Afghanistan, but that's beside the point), a giant waste of life and resources that in turn played into the hands of its adversaries. Every time that conflict was prolonged it was a win for Russia and China, essentially. And I think it's possible that we're seeing the same dynamic here.

My fear is that the secret goal of my country (and maybe the US as well) is to ruin Russia and not to help Ukraine. That they don't want the Kerch Bridge to be destroyed, that they don't want to deprive Russia of its ability to wring itself dry by cutting off the supply lines. Don't stop your enemy while he makes mistakes, something like that is how the saying goes. The more Russia ruins itself, the more incapable and dorsile they might be later on. This might also mean the end of their influence in central europe. And of course their vast natural resources won't go anywhere in the meantime, no matter how many young Russians are getting slaughtered.

Although I'm a bit torn on the resources angle. The thing is, Brittain and France, the two countries that already provided cruise missiles to Ukraine, have one thing in common: They both don't benefit very much from russian resources. France, of course, is well known for its abundance of nuclear power, while the UK has its own gas fields, as well as nuclear and other sources. Germany, on the other hand, well... let's just say we're getting by for now, but our energy prices certainly are a problem. Cheap russian gas would be great for us and since we're so awfully nice not to provide those dreaded cruise missiles, Russia might just be inclined to accept us as customers again. And since they ruined themselves so hard with years of fruitless war, their leverage would be awfully small. Beggars can't be choosers after all. Ideally Russia becomes a third world country that's getting exploited like a third world country. I'm not sure how plausible this line of thinking is though.

What seems more plausible to me is the thought of ruining Russia to weaken its influence on the world. Just geopolitical power plays, fought on the back of Ukraine and its people. One less ally for North Korea, Iran and everyone else in Russias back yard. And one big warning signal towards China, of course. For some, all that might be well worth the price of thousands of ukrainian lives that would otherwise be spared with a swift victory. Kind of disgusting, if true and I actually hope I'm wrong.

Around the Network
crissindahouse said:
Ryuu96 said:

Launcher or system?

A whole system as much as I know from the little info I got from the news. Rumor is that It might be a system which is stationed in Poland atm. 

Awesome news, I just saw Reuters report on it as well.

Germany is working on the supply of an additional Patriot air defence missile system to Ukraine in the winter months, Olaf Scholz said on Thursday.

Really hope this is an actual fully fledged system because I've seen in the past news sites become mixed up between a launcher and the entire system so people thought it was a new system being sent but it was just an additional launcher. Patriot has a great range and is such a capable system that I feel like even only a few more would be extremely significant, it doesn't have to be dozens.

On the flip side, I see Scholz straight up says this, Lol.

"We must of course ensure that there is no escalation of the war and that Germany does not become part of the conflict," Scholz said.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 06 October 2023

Speaking this week, James Heappey, the UK armed forces minister, said Russia’s Black Sea fleet had suffered a “functional defeat”. “It has been forced to disperse to ports from which it cannot have an effect on Ukraine,” he told the Warsaw security forum. The liberation of Ukraine’s waters was “every bit as important” as the counteroffensive last year in Kharkiv oblast, during which Kyiv regained territory, Heappey added.

Andriy Zagorodnyuk, Reznikov’s predecessor as defence minister, said Kyiv had pioneered “a new form of warfare”. It cost $10,000-$100,000 (£8,260-£82,600) to build a sea drone filled with explosives. Released in “swarms”, they targeted Russian ships costing hundreds of millions of dollars. “It’s an extremely asymmetric way of fighting enemy boats. This is true of cost and time. You can’t build a new ship quickly. They are huge platforms,” he said.

Recently, Ukraine has pummelled Russian bases in Crimea. It knocked out at least two S-400 air defence systems and a radar station. In September, Ukrainian special forces seized gas drilling rigs west of Crimea. Next, a missile slammed into Sevastopol’s shipyard. It damaged a Russian landing ship and submarine that was undergoing repair. It was the first time since 1945 that Moscow had lost a submarine in combat. Days later, Kyiv hit the Black Sea fleet HQ.

Ukrainian observers now dream of a new treaty of Paris – the 1856 deal that ended the Crimean War. It led to Russia’s diminishing influence in the region, after its defeat by the British, French and Ottoman empires. The treaty prohibited Russia from putting a navy in Sevastopol. “This war must end the same way, with the Black Sea fleet sunk, and Russia banned by international law from building a new one,” Zagorodnyuk said.

And what about Adm Sokolov? Ukrainian sources are increasingly confident he was killed last month, in the strike using Storm Shadow missiles. “The Russians can prove he is alive by making an interview with him,” Pletenchuk, the navy spokesperson, said.

‘A New Form of Warfare’: How Ukraine Reclaimed the Black Sea from Russian Forces | Ukraine | The Guardian

Ryuu96 said:
crissindahouse said:

Awesome news, I just saw Reuters report on it as well.

Germany is working on the supply of an additional Patriot air defence missile system to Ukraine in the winter months, Olaf Scholz said on Thursday.

Really hope this is an actual fully fledged system because I've seen in the past news sites become mixed up between a launcher and the entire system so people thought it was a new system being sent but it was just an additional launcher. Patriot has a great range and is such a capable system that I feel like even only a few more would be extremely significant, it doesn't have to be dozens.

On the flip side, I see Scholz straight up says this, Lol.

"We must of course ensure that there is no escalation of the war and that Germany does not become part of the conflict," Scholz said.

Yeah, Germany has 12 systems if I'm not wrong. If the system wouldn't be so good then there would be way more needed but when a country is like "12 are enough for the country" then it has to be pretty good. 

But I guess the price tag is enough to realize that lol. 

I hope USA will also send one more even with all the stuff going on there right now. I mean, they probably have like 100 whole systems or something like that...Russia will once again try to freeze people to death this winter with destroying crucial infrastructure. 

Last edited by crissindahouse - on 06 October 2023

Sweden would also send jets to Ukraine if they get their NATO membership which is fair to ask for I guess.