By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Russia and Ukraine flashpoint

Well they can't join NATO whilst at war so I hope it's something like "the moment the war is over, you're in NATO"

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 28 June 2023

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

Well they can't join NATO whilst at war so I hope it's something like "the moment the war is over, you're in NATO"

More likely it's a Membership Action Plan, possibly streamlined to expedite their joining NATO.  I know some have talked about waiving the MAP, but that's unlikely to fly given membership has to be agreed upon unanimously by the alliance.

Nuvendil said:
Ryuu96 said:

More likely it's a Membership Action Plan, possibly streamlined to expedite their joining NATO.  I know some have talked about waiving the MAP, but that's unlikely to fly given membership has to be agreed upon unanimously by the alliance.

You're probably right but that would honestly be disappointing to me, or well, not a surprise? That's about the bare minimum I expect NATO to give to Ukraine (an expedited MAP).

Hopefully Ukraine is at least going to get protection during the application process by a few countries.

Ryuu96 said:
CaptainExplosion said:

You mean Russian brigade, right? If so, then hopefully they all get riddled with bullets.

No. It's a Ukrainian Brigade.

Then hopefully they riddle Russian troops with bullets. Even more Russian troops than usual. Keep it up until there are no Russian troops left alive.

Around the Network

Mercenary leader Yevgeny Prigozhin planned to capture Russia's military leadership as part of last weekend's mutiny, Western officials said, and he accelerated his plans after the country's domestic intelligence agency became aware of the plot.

The plot's premature launch was among the factors that could explain its ultimate failure after 36 hours, when Prigozhin called off an armed march on Moscow that had initially faced little resistance.

Prigozhin originally intended to capture Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu and Gen. Valery Gerasimov, the chief of Russia's general staff, during a visit to a southern region that borders Ukraine that the two were planning. But the Federal Security Service, or FSB, found out about the plan two days before it was to be executed, according to Western officials.

Gen. Viktor Zolotov, commander of the National Guard of Russia, a domestic military force that reports directly to President Vladimir Putin, also said authorities knew about Prigozhin's intentions before he launched his attempt.

"Specific leaks about preparations for a rebellion that would begin between June 22-25 were leaked from Prigozhin's camp," Zolotov told state media on Tuesday.

Western intelligence agencies also found out early about the plans by Prigozhin, Putin's former confidant, by analyzing electronic communications intercepts and satellite imagery, according to a person familiar with the findings. Western officials said they believe the original plot had a good chance of success but failed after the conspiracy was leaked, forcing Prigozhin to improvise an alternative plan.

Still, the intelligence raises questions about the extent of Putin's authority after Moscow failed to prevent Wagner troops from marching almost all the way to Moscow despite the Kremlin's knowledge of the conspiracy, people familiar with the matter said.

Prigozhin's plot relied on his belief that a part of Russia's armed forces would join the rebellion and turn against their own commanders, according to this intelligence. The preparations included amassing large amounts of ammunition, fuel and hardware including tanks, armored vehicles and sophisticated mobile air defenses days before the attack, according to Western intelligence findings.

Made aware of the leak, Prigozhin was then forced to act sooner than planned on Friday and managed tocapture the southern Russian city of Rostov, a key command point for the invasion of Ukraine. The ease with which Wagner's troops took the city of one million that is home to a large military airport suggests that some regular forces commanders could have been part of the plot, according to Western intelligence.

Western officials said they believe Prigozhin had communicated his intentions to senior military officers, possibly including Gen. Sergei Surovikin, commander of the Russian aerospace force. It couldn't be determined whether Surovikin passed this information on to the FSB, or how the agency found out about Prigozhin's plans.

Surovikin was the first senior commander to condemn the plot on Friday and urge Prigozhin to stop his men. Forces under Surovikin's command carried out airstrikes on the Wagner column, the only such attack by regular troops against the insurrectionists.

Wagner’s Prigozhin Planned to Capture Russian Military Leaders - WSJ