By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Russia and Ukraine flashpoint

RolStoppable said:

Darth Putin the master strategist. This reminded me of something I had intended to post for a while.

One of the most delicious ironies of this war is that Putin's troll farms have acted with the intent to break up the EU in the past. They even succeeded in the UK where the misinformation tipped the scale slightly in favor of the Brexit. But in many ways, the UK's newfound independence contributes to breaking Russia's neck in this war.

While Russia's revisionist history states that the Soviet Union was the only country that was truly fighting against fascism and the nazis - bolstered by Stalin's lie that the West may have given asylum to Hitler, knowing full well that the Soviets had obtained Hitler's corpse - there's some legit pride in the UK's own history. They were the last bastion of Europe who fought off the nazis which ultimately allowed the D-Day to happen in 1944. I think this history plays a part in the UK playing the leading role in weapon support for Ukraine, because once again the UK can take the center stage in the battle against fascism. I am not talking about the volume and value of weapon packages, but the types of weapons that get provided. The UK is giving the decisive pushes.

Would this same thing have happened, if the UK hadn't been freed from the EU where Germany and France dictate the direction? I very much doubt it. What Putin didn't expect is that splitting up the EU did not result in an abandonment of the same values.

The moral of the story: I can't let an opportunity slide to say how much Germany sucks and drags down the EU. France too. What a bunch of wusses. At least Austria is upfront with its support for fascism and doesn't beat around the bush.

Austria and Russia are worthless shit stains. I hope Moscow burns with Putin trapped in it.

Around the Network

You mean Russian brigade, right? If so, then hopefully they all get riddled with bullets.

CaptainExplosion said:

You mean Russian brigade, right? If so, then hopefully they all get riddled with bullets.

No. It's a Ukrainian Brigade.

Around the Network

------

Then it turns out that Vladimir Putin actually paid for the mutiny with taxpayers’ money: the president admitted this week that the “private” military company Wagner was in fact funded entirely by the state all along, and that it received 86.3 billion rubles ($1.01 billion) from the state budget between May 2022 and May 2023. Another 110 billion rubles was spent on insurance payments to mercenaries. Prigozhin’s catering firm, Concord, earned 80 billion rubles supplying food to the military during the same period. 

No Return for Yevgeny Prigozhin—or Russia - Carnegie Endowment for International Peace

The companies hit with sanctions on Tuesday included Central African Republic-based Midas Ressources SARLU and Diamville SAU, Dubai-based Industrial Resources General Trading and Russia-based Limited Liability Company DM.

The United States also issued an advisory highlighting risks raised by gold trade in sub-Saharan Africa due to what it said was increasingly concerning reporting related to the role of illicit actors, including the Wagner Group.

Sergei Lavrov, the Russian foreign minister, said this week "private military contractors" would remain in Central African Republic (CAR) and Mali, the two countries in sub-Saharan Africa where Wagner has the biggest presence. The group has been accused of widespread atrocities in both countries.

US Targets Wagner by Sanctioning Gold Companies Suspected of Funding Group | US Foreign Policy | The Guardian

Genocide Enablers.

Ukraine Accuses Local Man of Directing Missile Strike That Killed 10 at Popular Pizza Restaurant | AP News