By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Arstechnica: Physical console games are quickly becoming a relatively niche market

Chrkeller said:

All digital is a question of when, not if.

I'm 100% digital on ps4, ps5 and xbox one. Only place I am not digital is the Switch, because Nintendo's sharing program between multiple consoles is complete and utter junk.

I personally don't get the fear of digital.  I bought digital books on the Kindle over a decade ago...  they are still readily available on my device.  

I have been pretty much all digital for years unto now, the reason Sony's pricing in Australia example Horizon forbidden west PS4 standard version digital AU $109.00 retail AU $79.00. so it's back to physical for those big day one releases

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
Conina said:
SvennoJ said:

Oh btw https://gamerant.com/games-removed-steam-why/

These games were pulled also from physical shelves.

If you bought them on Steam all these years they were offered, you kept them, can play them and redownload them:

Yeah this is what I meant. I've never had a game pulled from my Steam library. Sure you titles that are removed from there but its never from my personal library. You can even get activate keys from third party websites on games that were removed from Steam.

Elsewhere though I've not had such luck.. I've had games removed from from Google, Apple and Amazon stores. With no recourse.

I'll remain physical myself as I like physical game collecting, but the digital shift is a good thing for the environment so I don't mind it. As long as physical remains an option, I don't mind if in 10 years physical represent like ~5% of a game's sales.