By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Should I get a new power supply?

Hey guys, my power supply has served me since 2009, it's a good model modular OCZ 700 watt, but I'm wondering if it is time to replace it. I'm not a power user but still, 12 full years is a lot.

If I decide to get a new one, what should I get? Seasonic are still one of the best? Calculators say my current PC uses 250 watts on max load, so I'm thinking doubling it and getting a 450-550 watt 80 Plus and I don't need modular anymore. I don't plan on any upgrades in future that would require a more beefy psu.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Around the Network

I'd say that, after 12 years, your PSU deserves a well earned rest.

Seasonic is still one of the best brands out there, if not the best, but Corsair also has good power supplies (many of them built by Seasonic). The wattage of the unit is entirely up to you and your needs, but keep in mind that graphic cards nowadays aren't known for its good efficiency.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Yeah 12 years is a bit long and can't imagine it'll keep chugging for more than another year or two, just get yourself a nice efficient modern PSU, and as you say 450-550 Watts is enough for people who aren't getting 3080 TI's.

I have a Be Quiet Straight Power 11, 550 Watt, 80+ Gold PSU.

But you can just grab a Corsair 80+ Bronze PSU like the CV550 if you want to spend less.

I haven’t looked into power supplies for over four years, but there’s always been a decent amount of reviews on them. I used to use the tomshardware psu tier list as a starting point a lot back in the day, but it’s been a few years for me too.

I used to go for 80+ silver quality that were as good as gold or platinum for what I wanted to do with it, but even then I’m probably exaggerating the importance of that standard when there’s other things to review with these units.

Probably best to replace in the next six months if you can find a good deal so you can keep the old PSU as a back up instead of waiting until it fails.

New PSUs should have support for about three generations worth of newer sleep state standards too if that’s helpful to you in any way.

Looks like I will be getting the Corsair CV550, I will wait till the holidays craze ends.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Around the Network

Here is a power supply tier list:

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-148/

Obviously you don't need to get the best but you can use it as a reference.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

My psu is 10 years old. How do you know when it’s time is up?

snyps said:

My psu is 10 years old. How do you know when it’s time is up?

I generally replace mine when the warranty expires cause if the power supply causes certain components to fry, then some companies will re-reimburse you depending on if it's under warranty. But the power supplies that I buy come with 10 year warranties anyway.

Typically though, power supplies will make sounds or stop working for when it's time to replace them in my experience.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:

I generally replace mine when the warranty expires cause if the power supply causes certain components to fry, then some companies will re-reimburse you depending on if it's under warranty. But the power supplies that I buy come with 10 year warranties anyway.

Typically though, power supplies will make sounds or stop working for when it's time to replace them in my experience.

Thanks for the info. Just my web browser crashes a lot. It improved when I replaced the thermal grease. Though the other day, the fans all whirred loudly on boot up, no video. I twisted the cpu fan a little and it resolved. 

Seems like it’s not my psu. I should probably make a new build. 

Best of luck.