By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does anyone know of free online courses in Game Design (without credit card)

If you want to learn how to make games, Unity provides a lot of good resources for game development: https://learn.unity.com/

Around the Network
dx11332sega said:

I'm in a mood to create a game and would like to share some idea's in that game if not then I'll sign up online next month to an actually course though, I don't want to forgot what I have in my mind . It's really cool

You can be "self taught" as a programmer, however it'll be that much harder.
To a certain degree, even when taught, with material to follow, and teacher to ask anytime you run into trouble, it can be a b**** to learn to program.

I tried, and ended up realiseing, I was never ment to be a programmer.
If you want to develope your game, and you need to teach yourself how to do it.... you need more than a spure of the moment, idea, or wish to do it.
It will likely take you years of read and trying, things, likely with crappy results.

What you could do instead, is get "Dreams" on the PS4/PS5, and fiddle around with that.
If your not willing to be serious (dedicated with years of work/reading) you' ll likely get futher, and do better, just playing around in Dreams and seeing if you can realise what you want in there.

Buy a good textbook or watch free online videos on it. Don't feel you need to pay lots of cash for an education, there are free resources.

Good luck!

Start simple. Even if it is something as simple as RPG Maker or GB Studio. The games you want to make are complicated and require understanding of the basics. You'll subconsciously learn fundamentals that are used in game development and when you pick up something like a Game Maker or Unity, you'll have some of those fundamentals locked down and be able to implement them within the constraints of each engine.

Even if perhaps you don't want to jump into a Unity or Game Maker or Unreal, I also recommend learning to program for something like the GameBoy. Take a look at MVG's video:

You won't learn this stuff overnight. Or even in a year or two. A lot of indie devs spend years making even one small scale game. It's a time consuming process so take comfort in realizing that you don't have to understand everything to make something. 

Good luck on your endeavors! 

Bulk Slash is legit my favorite SEGA Saturn game. I see it as a prototype to Zone of the Enders in gameplay. Not so much the dating part of it. A more recent indie game kinda reminds me of it. Project Nimbus.

With games like Dreams and Game Builder Garage probably the easiest thing to try. Start simple and progressively improve.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
forest-spirit said:

If you want to learn how to make games, Unity provides a lot of good resources for game development: https://learn.unity.com/

As does Unreal: https://learn.unrealengine.com/home/dashboard