By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will Switch pass Wii/PS1?

End of 2021. It pretty much has to if Nintendo wants to feet their current forecast for this FY anyways.

Also, I think it would be easy for Switch to pass them by the end of the year. Probably sells close to or about 4 million July-Sept, which would put Switch less than 10M away from Wii & PS1 heading into Oct-Dec.

Around the Network

Q3/2020 + Q4/2020 were in total 18.43 Million. (July 1st to Dec 31st)
Even if it will be like 20% less in 2021, then it still is 14.74 Million. Even this number would be enough to pass Wii and PS1. The chance of Switch not passing PS1 and Wii by End of 2021 is really really small in my opinion.

Is this a repeat thread from years ago, as otherwise I dont see the point of the redundant third option.

Would have been better to have December/Jan/Feb as options (before the recent adjustments November would have also been viable for passing the Wii).

Based on current VGC figures it will probably pass the Wii in last 2 weeks of December, & PS1 maybe in last week of Dec or if not in early January.

In a month the Switch will pass the 90 mark, so if it doesn't reach the 100m mark by the end of Christmas, it will reach it in January 2022.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Wii in December, there's no doubt about that.
PS1 likely also in December, but there's a chance it's in early January.

Around the Network
yo33331 said:
HigHurtenflurst said:

Is this a repeat thread from years ago, as otherwise I dont see the point of the redundant third option.

Would have been better to have December/Jan/Feb as options (before the recent adjustments November would have also been viable for passing the Wii).

Based on current VGC figures it will probably pass the Wii in last 2 weeks of December, & PS1 maybe in last week of Dec or if not in early January.

It's repeated thread yes, because the old one is 2 years old, and doesn't include PS1, also we now have more recent numbers and everyone can make easier predictions for the period. However the answers are these because probably no one would pick the november option, the december is the most likely but the december option is the same as end of the year. I will edit the other two options just for you, by quarters and will leave the second quarter choice as well, for some switch nay-sayers.

Ah ok, makes sense if you were just using the same poll options as before, but given the event is so much closer to happening it's odd to have such wide windows to choose from, kinda defeats the point of having a poll if there are only 2 sensible options.

Will pass them by end of December for shipments and likely to outsell Wii for sell-through in December, but I think they’ll need another month to pass the PS1 sell-through sometime during January.

yo33331 said:
DaAndy said:

Q3/2020 + Q4/2020 were in total 18.43 Million. (July 1st to Dec 31st)
Even if it will be like 20% less in 2021, then it still is 14.74 Million. Even this number would be enough to pass Wii and PS1. The chance of Switch not passing PS1 and Wii by End of 2021 is really really small in my opinion.

actually by the site estimates, switch has sold 17.2M for the second half of 2020 and -20% of it will be 13.76 which with the lifetime sales by the week of july 3rd - almost 88M makes around 101M+ which is not enough to pass PS1 or Wii

Sorry, I had not mentioned i went with official Nintendo numbers.

The poll would be more interesting if it had more options, specifically earlier ones. Switch will definitely pass Wii and PS1 by the end of the year. The question is whether will it do it in November or December.

December 2021.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

The poll would be more interesting if it had more options, specifically earlier ones. Switch will definitely pass Wii and PS1 by the end of the year. The question is whether will it do it in November or December.

Even if Switch matched it's amazing 2020 sales for the rest of the year it wouldn't do it by the end of November, we just had a quarter that was down 23% sell-through compared to last year, and there's no system sellers from nintendo releasing before the end of September either so next quarter will probably be down too. December is needed.

Last edited by Zippy6 - on 07 August 2021