By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Lost Judgment may be the final game in Sega's Judgment series, due to disagreement with talent agency over PC release

shikamaru317 said:
Captain_Yuri said:

The article already makes it sound like they cancelled the series after Lost Judgement so I doubt it will be #2. If anything, #3 is the most likely:

I am doubtful of that personally. Cancelling a successful series over a single missing platform seems extreme, unless that platform is your lead platform in sales. While we have no baseline to compare Judgment sales on PC to, since the remaster of the first Judgment wasn't on Steam, we can look at the sales for past Rya Ga Gotoku studio games on Steam to get an idea of the sales potential:

  • Yakuza 0: 1-2m range on Steam Spy (I think it was bundled more than once with other Sega games for a cheap price)
  • Yakuza Like A Dragon: 200-500k range (the first ever Yakuza series game to release day one on PC)
  • Yakuza Kiwami: 200-500k range
  • Yakuza Kiwami 2: 200-500k range
  • Yakuza 3 Remaster: 100-200k range
  • Yakuza 4 Remaster: 50-100k range
  • Yakuza 5 Remaster- 50-100k range

While Yakuza 0 had strong sales, it seems to be an outlier, with numbers driven artificially high by bundling and late life discounts (it's currently on sale for 75% off at $5 for instance). The others are all less than 500k sales so far. I'm just not sure if it's worth cancelling a series over those sales numbers on PC, when they can release Judgment games on PS5/PS Now, Xbox Series/xCloud, Stadia, Luna, and maybe Switch 2 once it releases. Maybe they will choose to create a new main character for future Judgment games instead, but I personally think they'd be better off just skipping Steam and leaving PC players with the option to play on Streaming with PS Now, xCloud through Gamepass, Stadia, or Luna. I mean obviously that would suck for PC gamers, to be forced to play the game on Streaming, but it's better than not being able to play the game at all, and better than cancelling the whole series over a single platform. 

500k for a niche series like Yakuza isn't exactly low either but this isn't even just about that. Having a talent company dictate what you can do with your business is bad for business. What if one day, the Talent company decides xbox is too western for their liking? Or they hate the Cloud for some reason reason? Or other terrible decisions? That might sound stupid but the reason it's not coming to PC is in itself stupid. On top of that, Sega themselves says that PC is vital for them so it's pretty clear that they see the PC sales as strong sales. It's not like they are getting rid of the writers or the game developers or anything like that. They are just changing the main characters and rebooting the series. Judgment is also not their main series either, it's their spin off series. It's better for them to start a new series without all the nonsense than be strong armed by a Talent company with backwards thinking.

I am pretty sure if they limited the PC version to cloud, virtually no one would touch it on PC. I think most would rather skip the game entirely than to try a cloud version as cloud on PC has never been successful. Personally as a person that owned Yakuza 0 and bought Yakuza Like a Dragon on day 1 on Steam, I'd certainly skip the cloud version.



             

                               Anime: Haruhi                                                                                                           Nsfw Anime Thread                                     

Around the Network

While the talent agency seems a bit insane and overprotective, some of their concerns aren't completely unfounded. In my experience, if a game reaches PC then those models are going to be used for porn 10/10 times.

We could argue how much "damage" will be done to his image considering any reasonable person will know that he and his agency aren't supporting those things but it's definitely going to happen.



Spike0503 said:

While the talent agency seems a bit insane and overprotective, some of their concerns aren't completely unfounded. In my experience, if a game reaches PC then those models are going to be used for porn 10/10 times.

We could argue how much "damage" will be done to his image considering any reasonable person will know that he and his agency aren't supporting those things but it's definitely going to happen.

Except we don't need the game to be on PC in order for people to make porn of the model. You can easily find porn models of Playstation exclusives like the last of us and god of war and etc that never made it to PC.

In fact you can already mod other Yakuza games on PC with his model:



             

                               Anime: Haruhi                                                                                                           Nsfw Anime Thread                                     

Do these idiots know modding exists on consoles too? In fact it already has been done to Judgement. The game will get modded either way. The only way it won't get modded is if it's streaming only.



Captain_Yuri said:

Having a talent company dictate what you can do with your business is bad for business. What if one day, the Talent company decides xbox is too western for their liking? Or they hate the Cloud for some reason reason? Or other terrible decisions?

Yeah, that's a very important part. Having an outside company dictate what you can or can't do with your own products is a big problem. I'd say it's a hill to die on even. If it were me I'd blacklist them and refuse to do any business whatsoever with anybody associated with that company until they change their policies.



Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
konnichiwa said:

They can release it on the cloud or a version that doesn't work with mods.

Yeah, that is what I see happening if the talent agency doesn't back down, Sega won't cancel a successful series over this. They will either drop Steam and release only on the stricter, more difficult to mod Windows Store, or drop PC entirely and go Cloud only on PC, with Google Stadia, Amazon Luna, and Microsoft xCloud releases. Either that or they will refocus the series on a new main character, but I don't think they will go that far, it's easier to just drop PC, they will still get strong sales from Cloud, PS5, Xbox Series, and a possible Switch 2 release. 

If it's that easy to just drop the biggest platform out there, why not do it for all their other IP's, heck why doesn't everyone else just drop support?.

Reason why I'm asking is because I honestly want to push your viewpoint to the extreme, because I believe it's more of a folly to sugest "just drop PC, it'll smooth things over", as if people on that platform forget.

It would be far easier to just create a whole new character, that way the actor can either voice the new character (without the stupid likeness crap, honestly that was stupid to begin with), or someone else can do so in his stead, and that talent agency can go fuck itself in the process, and all without having to drop an entire platform, over mere modding.



Ka-pi96 said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Having a talent company dictate what you can do with your business is bad for business. What if one day, the Talent company decides xbox is too western for their liking? Or they hate the Cloud for some reason reason? Or other terrible decisions?

Yeah, that's a very important part. Having an outside company dictate what you can or can't do with your own products is a big problem. I'd say it's a hill to die on even. If it were me I'd blacklist them and refuse to do any business whatsoever with anybody associated with that company until they change their policies.

That's what should be happening, but OP seems to believe it makes sense to dick over a platform of millions, while comparing Steam sales and discount numbers like some sodding boardroom exec (no offence Shiki, but that's fucking dumb and obnoxious to suggest).

What's better?; dicking over a platform of millions of users, a lucrative one at that.

or

Dick over a tiny talent agency (yes tiny, because it's not the biggest talent agency on the entire planet with the power to dictate Hollywood, so yeah, tiny, and in Japan no less), forcing them to correct their shitty way of business. 

The latter becomes the more logical choice, because it's of a smaller number, one IP, one actor they take issue "for" over a platform containing millions of users and multiple storefronts. 

Last edited by Chazore - on 13 July 2021