By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Scarlet Nexus demo won me over. Anybody else?

I enjoyed the demo so much I played it 4 times already and I am the type guy that rarely finishes a demo. Very fun game but I could not stop thinking about Astral Chain. If I had to sum this game up from the demo it would be Astral with a bigger budget and psychic powers in place of Legions. 

Good:

- Game looks great. Awesome character/enemy models, smooth animation and richly detailed environments. Not one frame drop.

- Like Astral Chain, SN has simplified combo trees to put more focus on powers of the group. Whether you pick the guy or the girl your power is telekinesis. As you flow through your combo tree you can squeeze the R2 trigger to smack an enemy over the head with the various stuff littered throughout the battlefield. The time it takes to throw and the power depend on what the object is. There are also special objects that require you to squeeze the L2 trigger instead that initiate little quick time events that have you beat the enemy senseless in such satisfying ways. 

- You are not alone in this fight. You can choose 2 other party members that will join you on the battlefield but your entire platoon is connected through a system called SAS that allows you to access each others powers. Like Astral Chain. You are going to need all these powers because every enemy has different patterns that your basic power will struggle with. As an example there is a flying type enemy that moves at super sonic speeds that make it difficult to hit but by sharing the Hyper speed power you can fight them at their speed. 

Bad

- If you have watched just one anime or read one manga you have seen every character this demo has to offer. Personality or design, it doesn't matter, they are all so blaaaaaaand. Dialog is filled with cheesy anime jokes we have heard a millions times before and loads n loads of exposition that adds nothing. 

- Prompt overload. L2 and R2 button prompts will be all over the screen because every object that can interacted with in regards to telekinesis will be highlighted and then on top of that you have finisher prompts, team attack prompts .. ext. Can get very messy in tight areas. 

- While they visual look great, the stages are just hallways that connect battlefields. There a plenty of opportunities to go off the beaten path and use those powers to score items but it all just feels so.... empty to me. Astral Chain did this better as it had a variety side activities that you could do as you completed the main task. The stages in Astral chain were also just more interactive as well... things were happening around you as you progressed. It is just demo though so I will hold out. 

Definitely a purchase for me. Anybody feel same or different?

Around the Network

I ordered it because I am a sucker for these kind of games. The story and characters probably don't have any depth and are mostly an excuse for the combat. Which is absolutely fine for these types of games. Also the two protagonist and party set up is kind a cool.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Yes, it did tho I was already in. It reminds me so much of Astral Chain. One of my fave games last few years so it convinced me further. My most hyped game currently and only 1 more week to go! The only other 2021 release I am just as excited for is SMTV.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Downloading right now, I didn't know there was a demo. I never got into any "Souls like" game. FromSoftware set the bar too high. Scarlet and Nioh are on my list to try next. I can't say I'm expecting too much.

Astral said:

Downloading right now, I didn't know there was a demo. I never got into any "Souls like" game. FromSoftware set the bar too high. Scarlet and Nioh are on my list to try next. I can't say I'm expecting too much.

Scarlet Nexus is not a Souls game. If you have played Astral Chain then you will know what to expect. Hell, Kingdom Hearts in a closer comparison.

Around the Network

Was already sold on this one since the announcement and had it pre-ordered before the demo dropped. Well, the demo didn't disappoint and just made me more convinced that making a pre-order was a good decision,

Xxain said:
Astral said:

Scarlet Nexus is not a Souls game. If you have played Astral Chain then you will know what to expect. Hell, Kingdom Hearts in a closer comparison.

Oh... In my mind Scarlet Nexus and Code Vein got mixed together as one game. I was confused haha. Nevermind then.

Loved Astral Chain. I'll keep an eye on it.

People questioned Nintendo showing Mario Golf in their direct, as it's such a close release, but that was actually a good reminder for me and I'll likely pick it up now. I wonder if Microsoft did Scarlet Nexus a disservice not showing it at E3, as it's been part of their next-gen/cross-gen marketing before, and it feels like it's being forgotten about already.

Good reviews so far.

Amazon been slow lately so I won't get mine until next week. So replaying Metal Gear Rising now.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!