By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Returnal - Do I just suck?

Not to sound judgy, but you likely do need to work on combining shooting and dodging better... The first biome took me not even 2 hours to beat, and it only got faster as I got better at it in which I actually tried to slow myself down for the sake of reviewing the game and smelling the roses as opposed to what felt like I was blasting through it (pun intended!). That's not me bragging about myself, but that's my reference point for Returnal lol

The most infuriating difficulty curve for me was Nioh 2... Some of the bosses were just straight up cheesing, I swear! I'd GET to the boss fine, but killing them usually required me to summon help 90% of the time because after about 5 deaths, I was like "oh fuck this!"... haha!

EDIT: Forgot to add that because I felt I beat it too quick, I even took the time to get the secret ending Yes, NOW I'm bragging with this edit! lol

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
Around the Network

The first boss is pretty easy. Follow the main path, avoid the blue and yellow rooms. Be patient and keep your distance. For the second boss, do not use the shortcut. Explore the main path of the first and the beginning of the second biome. For the third. Explore the entire first and second biome, then follow the third biome main path.

ZyroXZ2 said:

Not to sound judgy, but you likely do need to work on combining shooting and dodging better... The first biome took me not even 2 hours to beat, and it only got faster as I got better at it in which I actually tried to slow myself down for the sake of reviewing the game and smelling the roses as opposed to what felt like I was blasting through it (pun intended!). That's not me bragging about myself, but that's my reference point for Returnal lol

The most infuriating difficulty curve for me was Nioh 2... Some of the bosses were just straight up cheesing, I swear! I'd GET to the boss fine, but killing them usually required me to summon help 90% of the time because after about 5 deaths, I was like "oh fuck this!"... haha!

EDIT: Forgot to add that because I felt I beat it too quick, I even took the time to get the secret ending Yes, NOW I'm bragging with this edit! lol

The start of Nioh 2 is very difficult. The game was thinking for those who already knew the first game. But there is a lot of customization. You get strong very fast. In Returnal you need to evolve as a player.

Bandorr said:
epicurean said:

The Souls games were just patterns too. Its just it was easier to get to them and you didn't have to try and level up everything first.

At the same time, like I said, maybe I just suck at this one. 

What do you use? Like what weapon do you use? What traits do you prefer? What alt-fire are you comfortable with?

I hate the shotgun. I'm obsessed with the handgun. It has the best range, a good clip, and a very easy to use overload.

I took a level 1 handgun with homing missiles to the end of world three because it is THAT powerful.

I avoid any artifact or parasite that increases the time I need to dodge.

Dodging is very much the most important part of that. You take no damage while dodging. Plus you move quickly so when the boss does the dash attack I just dodge out.

I'm not sure of the weapon name, but essentially the machine gun. I feel like I'm decent at the dodging during the boss battle but some of the rooms get really hectic and I cant see projectiles coming at me from all angels (or I'm too zeroed in on what's attacking in front of me). 

I tend to avoid almost all the infected stuff, because it seems like usually the debuff is worse than the buff. Maybe that's what's hurting me. 

I admit I don't use the alt-fires well, or enough. I guess I like the lightning one, as it seems to go off quick, but I tend to just go with whatever the most powerful weapon I can find has. I do, also, hate the shotgun, but will use it over the level 0 handgun.

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

ZyroXZ2 said:

Feel free to brag. Apparently this is just a game I suck at. Just never happened to me before so I'm at a loss. I remember getting pissed at one of the bosses in Seikero (sorry, can't remember spelling), but I kept at it and eventually got it down. I'm just not used to being so inept from the start in a game.

Around the Network
epicurean said:
pitzy272 said:

The only trick I know of about increasing health is going back to the ship and sleeping in your bed. But...this used to give you almost full health, and you could do it more than once, and now they just released a patch that significantly nerfed this.

So after all the complaints on difficulty, Housemarque releases a patch that makes the game even harder. Wteff? Haha

Oh man, I didn't know you could do that. Ugh, could've helped me. 

Yeah, I only found out about it after it was already nerfed. Even nerfed though, it should help you a little with the health issue.

Some of the people in this thread have suddenly made me feel bad at games. I’ve always been decent at Housemarque games. Not sure what it is about this one that makes me struggle. :/

WizardHsc said:
ZyroXZ2 said:

The start of Nioh 2 is very difficult. The game was thinking for those who already knew the first game. But there is a lot of customization. You get strong very fast. In Returnal you need to evolve as a player.

I don't know what Nioh 2 you played, but there was no outpacing the cheese of some of the bosses...  Nioh 1, however, you're correct: I built up quickly and could solo most of those bosses.  Nioh 2 was just ridiculous and relentless attacks with wide 270 degree attack sweeps lol

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
Bandorr said:
epicurean said:

I'm not sure of the weapon name, but essentially the machine gun. I feel like I'm decent at the dodging during the boss battle but some of the rooms get really hectic and I cant see projectiles coming at me from all angels (or I'm too zeroed in on what's attacking in front of me). 

I tend to avoid almost all the infected stuff, because it seems like usually the debuff is worse than the buff. Maybe that's what's hurting me. 

I admit I don't use the alt-fires well, or enough. I guess I like the lightning one, as it seems to go off quick, but I tend to just go with whatever the most powerful weapon I can find has. I do, also, hate the shotgun, but will use it over the level 0 handgun.

The rooms can be hectic yeah. Specially lockdown ones.  I do not hesitate to run out of a room if I can. The machine gun is a good one. I am actually a big fan of the lightning one but I'm not sure the range of it. 

I use the handgun because it gets you maximum range. More range to dodge, more range to run away.

Some debuffs are very bad, others I don't mind too much.

Also keep an eye on your consumables.

Have you found/beaten the house yet? You get a very powerful item when you do that. And then in the next playthroughs you can re-buy it.

If you can get 5 "ether" there is a room that lets you spawn there with all your stuff if you die one. So that is equally powerful.

If you can beat Demon souls you can beat at least the first world. You just get used to what weapons you like, traits. What debuffs are risky etc.

There is an ability to regenerates when you get low integrity that is worth I'd say almost any debuff.

Yeah, beat the house. Where  can i rebuy that item? Or is it only on the very next playthrough? I've also gotten it as a drop once, but I wasted it.

Oh, also, do you not get the grappling hook or the ability to go under water in the first level? I hate all those things that are there but you can't get to.

ZyroXZ2 said:
WizardHsc said:

I don't know what Nioh 2 you played, but there was no outpacing the cheese of some of the bosses...  Nioh 1, however, you're correct: I built up quickly and could solo most of those bosses.  Nioh 2 was just ridiculous and relentless attacks with wide 270 degree attack sweeps lol

I don't know how you played Nioh 2. But I played as Sekiro. Focus on defense and counterattack at the right times. You can finish the game smoothly. The optional DLC bosses are the only really difficult ones.