By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Resident Evil 8 Review Thread- 84 MC, 84 OC

Capcom is not back ,W_W,

Around the Network

Became crap after four I guess. Personally the franchise died when going into third person, now first person. Also number eight, let it die already.

Random_Matt said:

Became crap after four I guess. Personally the franchise died when going into third person, now first person. Also number eight, let it die already.

The franchise has been third person since the original. 

Fixed camera angles do not make a game not third person. 

Random_Matt said:

I thought both Revelation games were fantastic.  7 was good, but it was incredible in vr.  Resident Evil 2 remake was also a great game.

rapsuperstar31 said:
Random_Matt said:

I thought both Revelation games were fantastic.  7 was good, but it was incredible in vr.  Resident Evil 2 remake was also a great game.

Revelations was ok, aside from that I think the franchise is pretty dead. 7 sales were so bad, 5 and 6 did significantly better and they were as generic as they come. We will see how 8 sells, but don't expect miracles.

Around the Network
Random_Matt said:
rapsuperstar31 said:

Revelations was ok, aside from that I think the franchise is pretty dead. 7 sales were so bad, 5 and 6 did significantly better and they were as generic as they come. We will see how 8 sells, but don't expect miracles.

This is just objectively wrong ... just like you saying RE "went into third person". 

REVII did have ridiculously high expectations from Capcom at launch that were not met, but it's technically the fourth best selling game in the series when including remasters and the second best selling in the series not including them. 

Resident Evil 5 with Remaster: 12.1 mil 

Resident Evil 5: 10.1 mil

Resident Evil 4 with all versions: 10 mil

Resident Evil 6 with Remaster: 10 mil  

Resident Evil 7: 8.5 mil

Resident Evil 6: 7.7 mil 

Resident Evil 4 (original 6th gen only): 3.9 mil

I feel it's a little stupid to include every remaster available when talking about the most popular games in the franchise. When people have to rebuy a game to experience it again, that's obviously going to affect sales. 

Last edited by AngryLittleAlchemist - on 05 May 2021

shikamaru317 said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

This is just objectively wrong ... just like you saying RE "went into third person". 

REVII did have ridiculously high expectations from Capcom at launch that were not met, but it's technically the fourth best selling game in the series when including remasters and the second best selling in the series not including them. 

I feel it's a little stupid to include every remaster available when talking about the most popular games in the franchise. When people have to rebuy a game to experience it again, that's obviously going to affect sales. 

He may be talking about launch sales for Res 7. While Res 7 did undoubtedly sell well lifetime, it's launch was a disappointment, with Capcom only shipping/selling digital 2.5m copies first week, compared to 4.5m for Res 6 and 4m for Res 5 first week. The small launch shipment caused Capcom's stock to fall several percentage points at the time, as investors were expecting a launch in line with the previous two main series games. 

Yea but I already addressed that. The expectations set were ridiculous. Capcom's expectations were actually so crazy they expected RE7 to sell 4 million day one, which was sneakily changed to 4m in it's entire first quarter (which actually wasn't met either by a few 100k). 

Res 5, the most popular game in the series, didn't even do 4 milion it's it's first week as you claim. RE5 did 4m in it's first two weeks (it launched March 5th in Japan).  

Another thing, RE6 did do 4.5m in it's first week, but it was because Capcom initially overshipped it to hell, hence it ending up being a disappointment for the company despite being their biggest launch ever up to that point. It did 4.8m for all of October (Resident Evil 6 sells 4.8 million in 2012 | GamesRadar+) . Meaning it only shipped 300k more after it's launch date that month. That's bad. That's not being more successful, that's being more unrealistic. And again, RE6 was also considered a disappointment. Capcom has some braindead Square-Enix-with-Tomb-Raider-2013 level IQ when it comes to analysis of RE sales, probably because for a long time it was by far their most popular series so they relied on it a bit too much. They said that the port of RE4 on Wii was a sales disappointment, despite being the 2nd most popular version of the game and selling 2 million.

REVII will probably end up close to if not slightly above RE4 and RE6 when all is set and done, which again, makes it ridiculous to claim it sold poorly. That's without ports or remaster sales to boost it. That would make it officially the second best selling game in the series, remasters and ports or not. Anything else is goalpost shifting, especially when he specifically said "7 sales were so bad". 

shikamaru317 said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

He may be talking about launch sales for Res 7. While Res 7 did undoubtedly sell well lifetime, it's launch was a disappointment, with Capcom only shipping/selling digital 2.5m copies first week, compared to 4.5m for Res 6 and 4m for Res 5 first week. The small launch shipment caused Capcom's stock to fall several percentage points at the time, as investors were expecting a launch in line with the previous two main series games. 

Probably just me thinking that was lifetime actually, my bad.

shikamaru317 said:

Main complaints I'm reading from critics seem to be:

• Too much action, not enough horror, critics comparing it to Res 5 and 6 in that regard
  • Batshit crazy storyline, some critics saying it is the 2nd craziest storyline in the series after Res 6. Several saying it is filled with plot holes and completely ruins the more grounded reboot of the Res franchise in 7 by heading back into the absurdity that Res 5 and 6 had descended into
  • Lots of Ethan hate. Some don't like his dialogue and the voice actor's line delivery, some didn't like the character himself
  • Poor final 3rd of the game
  • Some frustrating boss fights
  • Some annoying side characters

Those sound like pretty big negatives for the game to have a 84 mc score tbh. 

Batshit crazy story and "too much action" honestly dehype me. I was hoping this'll be closer to RE7 than to RE 5-6, but if thats not the case ehhh I might put this one on hold. 

Have they said anything about a VR version in the future? After RE7 and others, I can't go back to playing horror games on a screen.