By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - WTF is the prediction league?

Quite often I get a notification on VGChartz and when I click on it the prediction league is the reason.

Let me be clear. I don't know what it is, I've never made a contribution to it and I never want to.

Is there anyway I can opt out of this? And what is the prediction league anyway?

Around the Network

The prediction league, as its name suggest, its a competition amongst VGChartz user to guess/predict when will Konami announce the release of Suikoden VI.
So far, everybody is losing. Everyone, in general. Like, in life.

How to Play

Each week we will create prediction rounds for Japan, America and Others. In each round you must submit your predictions using our entry form for the mix of software and hardware provided for that round. VG Chartz will provide a list of software and hardware for players to predict sales of (generally expected to be the top performers for that week). To qualify for a given contest, your entry must be received before the closing date. Occasionally, VG Chartz will post some one-off prediction rounds covering sales over a quarter or a year. These rounds can be entered in exactly the same way as the weekly rounds.

Betting on your predictions

Each prediction you make per round has a minimum bet that you must place of vg$5. For predictions you feel more confident about you can bet more against, for predictions you are less confident about you should bet the mimimum amount. Your total bet amount over the predictions in a round cannot exceed your current wealth - i.e it cannot make you bankrupt to place the bet.

Think wisely about your predictions - use the charting and comparison tools provided by the website to look over historical data and place your money wisely on the predictions you think will pay out the most!

Your Winnings

Winnings are determined by your prediction accuracy. Prediction accuracy for a each prediction is calculated as the difference between your prediction and actual figure / actual figure. The prediction accuracy for each prediction is divided by the average accuracy across all users for that prediction and then this ratio is multiplied by your bet on that prediction. This is totalled up over the 15 predictions. An example is the best way to illustrate. Example:

You predict a game will sell 175,000 copies for the week and the game actually sells 200,000. So, we take the difference between your prediction and the actual sales and divide it by the actual sales 25,000 / 200,000. The result, 0.125, represents the percentage your prediction was off from the actual (12.5% off). Subtracting this number from 1 (one represents being wholly accurate) tells us how close or accurate your prediction is to the actual: 1 - 0.125 = 0.875 or 87.5% accurate. Note that if your prediction is off by more than the actual amount (i.e., off by more than 100%), your accuracy will be 0% representing the fact that you were simply not accurate in your prediction (e.g., you predict 100,000 and the actual is 30,000). Your accuracy is then divided by the average accuracy for that prediction, in this case say 50% (100,000 as the average prediction) to give (87.5/50) then multiplied by your original bet. So if you bet vg$10 on this prediction, you would win 10 x (87.5/50) = vg$17.50 (a net profit of vg$7.50 against the original bet). This is repeated across all your bets and totalled up.

How do I turn off the notifications to this?

Profile Settings -> Preferences -> "Receive Notifications for the following events:"

SOURCE : https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/235335/prediction-league-thread-first-round-with-the-ps5-and-xs-prepare-for-mayhem-ha-ha/1/

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

BraLoD said:

It's Kirby's way to bother us all.
Told several times it should be disabled by default but they only added the option to opt out, which I'll keep refusing to do as it makes no sense to need to opt out of something I never choose to be part of to begin with.
So yeah, go opt out of it and don't be idiotic stubborn as me.
I'll keep the resistence tho, don't worry.

fun fact talon left again, so noone can disable them

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Idk but the dude that runs it is a real piece of work

Around the Network

This is the first I'm hearing of it and I don't think I ever got a notification.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.