By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What about choosing resolution and graphics fidelity before downloading?

Pemalite said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

I mean, I understand many games give us the choice of first choosing the assets quality and just then start downloading the patches to increase resolution and textures 

But from my experience those are the minority. I actually don't have a good TV, 1080P is the best I can go, so no reason to me expending local storage and consume time downloading 4K assets I can't really make use of 

I wish we could have more controls over this issue 

I think it's a false assumption to assume that downloading "4k assets" won't bring any benefits to a 1080P user.
There were 7th gen games which had 4k or higher resolution textures despite the fact that games often sat around the 720P resolution mark.

Even 4k resolution games downsamples to 1080P, which provides a very clean and crisp image on a 1080P panel as it's essentially a very expensive form of "anti-aliasing".

So yes, even at 720P/1080P you do want higher quality assets... Because we aren't at a point where games look photo realistic even at 720P.

If storage becomes an issue... I am of the mindset of just expanding my storage.

don't you mean inexpensive since making assets at a higher res saves on duplication and helps in future proofing those assets .

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:

"4K textures" aren't textures for 4K screens. It's just a size of 4096x4096.

There are instances where those texture numbers will correlate with the screen like UI elements.
But in general, that's not true. If you zoom in on an object, you might only see 1/8th of it, so you're only seeing 1024x2048.
The idea of '4K assets' is largely a misnomer.

Many games don't have different sets of assets for the resolution. Xbox Series games might in some cases, but it's not the norm. Other consoles don't do that, and PC tends to have texture quality as a separate setting from resolution, because they don't have to correlate.

Or the textures just get mip-mapped.

Basically mipmaps are small, pre-filtered textures that represent different levels of detail of a texture map, they are stored in sequence of larger-to-smaller which results in a mipmap chain.
That means as you get closer/further away from an object the mipmap will vary on resolution.

It actually also increases quality as when you over-sample a texture you get lots of aliasing artifacts on the texture map.

All in all, I try to keep it "simple" people aren't going to know the difference between texture resolution and output resolution on this forum, but try to tell them they are disconnected from each other.

mjk45 said:
Pemalite said:

I think it's a false assumption to assume that downloading "4k assets" won't bring any benefits to a 1080P user.
There were 7th gen games which had 4k or higher resolution textures despite the fact that games often sat around the 720P resolution mark.

Even 4k resolution games downsamples to 1080P, which provides a very clean and crisp image on a 1080P panel as it's essentially a very expensive form of "anti-aliasing".

So yes, even at 720P/1080P you do want higher quality assets... Because we aren't at a point where games look photo realistic even at 720P.

If storage becomes an issue... I am of the mindset of just expanding my storage.

don't you mean inexpensive since making assets at a higher res saves on duplication and helps in future proofing those assets .

Nope.

You don't duplicate assets for different resolutions.

You build a single asset and the resolution varies, the resolution can assist in bringing out micro-details in assets.

Either way, super-sampling is an inefficient (but extremely high-quality) version of anti-aliasing, it's why we sample the "edge" of polygons instead in order to try and remove aliasing artifacts rather than render a game at multiples higher resolution.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--