By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Signal soars as FACEBOOK outrages its userbase

Zkuq said:
Dulfite said:

At this point I'm done with social media. I will check things every now and then to see what friends and relatives are up to but I'm not planning to post stuff anywhere right now. Not just about the data but the idea of a company deciding who can post what is disturbing to me. It's their company so they can enforce whatever policy they want, but it's my right to not be on that platform anymore. I'm done with Facebook, Instagram, etc.

Is Signal any better, or just so in the short term before they turn into the monsters they are trying to replace? And will they get shut down by the big liberal media overlords like Parler did?

Uh, neither WhatsApp nor Signal can really be considered social media, and you can't really call Telegram social media either. Think more along the lines of Skype, IRC, and Discord, and you're closer. In case that's not clear enough, here's some more: They're all for instant messaging, whereas social media rarely is about instant messaging.

Oh, interesting! Thanks for explaining!

Around the Network
vivster said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Literally never heard of any of those before. WTF is signal, whatsapp and telegrams?

The western Line alternatives but without the cool mascots.

No bears? What's even the point?

Dulfite said:

Is Signal any better, or just so in the short term before they turn into the monsters they are trying to replace? 

Always a possibility. Whatever happens it can't be worse than would happen if WhatsApp continues to be the only viable player in the market. 

Yes, social media is evil and made the world a worse place to live in. That’s a fact and it should all die. Luckily though Facebook is unable to pull their crap with Whatsapp in Europe because they’re simply not allowed to, so we’re good for now. Obviously however we should be on the lookout for any other trick they try to pull in the future.

Ka-pi96 said:

Literally never heard of any of those before. WTF is signal, whatsapp and telegrams?

You're joking right?

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Around the Network
Eagle367 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

You're joking right?

Nope.

Eagle367 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

You're joking right?

Signal, whatsapp, Viber, etc..  who cares they are modern day yahoo messenger or aim.   Not a big deal.   Only thing different is that they supposedly encrypt messages.   Otherwise it's just a chat/video program.

i hate people not using signal, and then still turning right or left fuck em

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:

i hate people not using signal, and then still turning right or left fuck em

Don't drive in USA.  Happens all the time.  Although have to say safer than people turn signal too early and you think they are turning yet they are going straight till next intersection or lot.

sethnintendo said:
Eagle367 said:

You're joking right?

Signal, whatsapp, Viber, etc..  who cares they are modern day yahoo messenger or aim.   Not a big deal.   Only thing different is that they supposedly encrypt messages.   Otherwise it's just a chat/video program.

Billions use WhatsApp while yahoo messenger and aim are dead. Hundreds of millions use signal and telegram. So your analogy is like saying Nintendo, Sony and Xbox are like Atari.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also