By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Sony’s Funimation acquires anime streaming service Crunchyroll for $1.175 billion

Tagged games:

Do you subscribe to a anime sub service?

Yes - Crunchyroll 6 17.65%

Yes - Funimation 2 5.88%

Yes - Other 2 5.88%

No 24 70.59%

Total:34
zero129 said:
DonFerrari said:

Which monopoly will they achieve if HBO, Prime, Netflix and several other streaming services have anime content and Sony isn't buying anime studios and similar, they are buying a streaming service, which other companies can make a new one.

Yes but how much of that Anime content becomes owned by Sony and then pulled from the other services. I guess its not bad for someone who would be new looking to sign up for an anime service, but for say people who is subbed to HBO mostly for the anime section it would be a lose.

But i guess i thought this was a bigger thing then it turned out to be as like you said Sony just owned the service not the shows?.

None, Sony doesn't own the content, they own streaming channels that have contracts to provide the content.

But sure we would need to see how much this will affect all services and if the contracts crunchyroll have (and people mentioned they only get scraps compared to others) will make it harder for anime content to be on HBO or others, I find it hard to happen, sure specific animes you may follow on your subs may stop being there but that doesn't mean HBO can't look for other content to put on their channel even if that mean older ones.

Crunchyroll itself already lost a lot of content because of other subs (Prime, Netflix, HBO and mainly Funimation I believe), probably they were the ones that paid less for content because they paid for more sources. But some animes I wanted to watch were removed on the last 2 years because someone outbid them, and Japanese drama were reduced by like 70% or more. Since funimation isn't available in Brazil I can't tell how good is their library, but Prime have a good library and Netflix although having a lot of anime only a few interested me.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
zero129 said:
DonFerrari said:

None, Sony doesn't own the content, they own streaming channels that have contracts to provide the content.

But sure we would need to see how much this will affect all services and if the contracts crunchyroll have (and people mentioned they only get scraps compared to others) will make it harder for anime content to be on HBO or others, I find it hard to happen, sure specific animes you may follow on your subs may stop being there but that doesn't mean HBO can't look for other content to put on their channel even if that mean older ones.

Crunchyroll itself already lost a lot of content because of other subs (Prime, Netflix, HBO and mainly Funimation I believe), probably they were the ones that paid less for content because they paid for more sources. But some animes I wanted to watch were removed on the last 2 years because someone outbid them, and Japanese drama were reduced by like 70% or more. Since funimation isn't available in Brazil I can't tell how good is their library, but Prime have a good library and Netflix although having a lot of anime only a few interested me.

Yeah that doesnt sound to bad at all. I guess seeing other people on the webs kinda blow it out made me worried, i was thinking along the lines of Sony now owns 90% of the japan anime market but i see its not the case. And to be honest with the way you explained it it sounds like a good thing that Sony now owns Crunchyroll

I do hope crunchy receives more content in Brazil now that they belong to Sony, or that we get Funimation or at least a sub for both on a better price. Let's wait to see what happen, but I also hope you don't get cut out of content because of the deal.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."