By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I/o throughput vs memory bandwidth

its AMMO to troll

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
Pemalite said:
SvennoJ said:
Azzanation said:
Pemalite said:

Microsoft and Sony are reserving more SSD space for OS functions thus they don't need to rely on Ram as heavily...

Thus the Xbox Series X will only use 2.5GB of Ram which is a reduction over the Xbox One.
The Xbox Series S will use only 2GB of Ram which is a reduction again, likely due to the 1080P User Interface rather than 2160P.

Well thats an improvement, however 2.5gigs is still a fair chunk of Ram.

Imagine we get the slim interface of 360 and ps3 back. They ran at 1080p, less than 64MB for the OS, 32MB even I think at the end of the gen. 2.5 GB, what a waste!

Those consoles didn't have a 1080P interface, they were upscaled 720P.
In the Xbox 360's case it's UI was 720P upscaled... But many UI elements were actually 480P like the quick guide menu.

But yeah, they had tiny footprints, by the end of the gen the Xbox 360 was sitting at 24MB and the PS3 at 47MB.

Much of that has to do with how the UI was designed, the Xbox 360's OS used a modular-container approach, so only elements like the video playback engine got loaded into RAM when a user loaded the application, so there was always a delay delving a level deeper into the UI.

The Xbox One by comparison tried to keep as much data in memory as possible so launching an app was a bit snappier.

Next-gen the Xbox Series of consoles will be taking a more Xbox-360-like approach to the OS thanks to the SSD increasing the baseline storage performance.

I think the ps3 interface is 1080p, looks sharp to me. The ps3 also had the glass door interface for videos, animated thumbnails, pretty impressive. I still have tons of videos stored on my ps3, all with little clips playing in the menu, so cool. Tech doesn't always get better :/ Game thumbnails were animated as well or at least played music when scrolling over them. The XMB was great, too bad the store was so extremely slow.

I guess most of the reserved RAM nowadays is for always on video recordingand background downloads. The SSD could help reduce the RAM footprint of the OS, but that might take away from the games. They should have had 24 MB RAM, let's see how well the SSD can reduce memory usage from games.

Yeah. I think Sony opted for a 1080P output for the UI, hence its much higher memory usage with less functionality.
But not everything will be 1080P as it's not necessary.

Microsoft managed to get background MP3 support, Voice Chat and so on all while gaming on a paltry 24MB of memory.

Allot of the extra memory usage in next-gen was as you said, video recording, image captures, suspend/resume functionality (Which goes straight to Ram) and caching.

Next-Gen all of that goes straight to disk and not Ram.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

[...]

Yeah. I think Sony opted for a 1080P output for the UI, hence its much higher memory usage with less functionality.
But not everything will be 1080P as it's not necessary.

Microsoft managed to get background MP3 support, Voice Chat and so on all while gaming on a paltry 24MB of memory.

Allot of the extra memory usage in next-gen was as you said, video recording, image captures, suspend/resume functionality (Which goes straight to Ram) and caching.

Next-Gen all of that goes straight to disk and not Ram.

Straight to SSD can be good for low priority tasks and really great for suspend/resume and as a cache, compared to slower storage tech, and most surely is the best solution in next gen HD consoles, that must have a standard equipped mid-sized SSD anyway and find the right balance amongst components costs, but I guess that on PCs, that for their general purpose use often need a larger HDD anyway even when they use a fast, but small SDD for OS and selected tasks, spending little more than 50 euros to add 16GB instead of spending the same or probably more to get a large SSD instead of a small one can be an investment with better performance/cost ratio, not to mention that avoiding or reducing the need to swap thanks to larger RAM can make it acceptable to do it on the faster SSD instead of on the slower HDD withoud significantly shortening its life.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!