By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4: A Love Letter To The Single Player Gamer (spoiler free reviews)

What Was Your Favorite Single-Player Sony Exclusive? (timed/console exclusives included)

Bloodborne 4 10.81%

Uncharted 4 3 8.11%

God of War 6 16.22%

The Last of Us: Part 2 4 10.81%

Horizon: Zero Dawn 4 10.81%

Persona 5/Royal 4 10.81%

Final Fantasy VII Remake 4 10.81%

Ghost of Tsushima 4 10.81%

Days Gone 0 0%

Other 4 10.81%

Total:37

If you're like me - you love playing single player games.  Getting lost for hours on end in large open worlds to escape reality for a while.

For the most part - that's what Sony's exclusives are known for.  Story driven, narrative focused games in fantasy settings - and boy did they deliver with the PS4!

Here's how I would score them - hopefully it convinces you to give them a shot if you have not already played them.

The Must-Haves (10/10)

Bloodborne - a horror masterpiece!  My first Soul's game.  I remember giving up on it after a couple of months of getting my ass kicked- only to come back to it and finally beating it.  The hardest game I've ever played - but so rewarding once you figure it out. Really hoping for a sequel one day.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - a fitting end for Nathan Drake.  There was a lot of concern with Amy leaving Naughty Dog during production (and a lot of false rumors going around) - but Neil and Bruce delivered another epic adventure that beautifully closed out Nathan's journey.  There are rumors of Sony working on another outing.  That, along with the movie release on the horizon, maybe we will see the return of the Uncharted series on the PS5 in the near future.

God Of War - talk about a reboot!  The single camera shot throughout the entire game was groundbreaking.  The story itself was brutal and emotional, and the world was so beautiful and exciting to explore.  Really looking forward to next year's Ragnarok sequel.

The Last Of Us:  Part II - Naughty Dog really took a chance on this one.  I understand it wasn't the game that everyone wanted - but to me that was perfectly fine.  I'd rather have a developer take risks and make a game that they are passionate about then try and make a game that has to appease everyone.  What they created was one of the most emotional rollercoaster rides I have ever experienced in gaming.  The only thing that came close was the original Last of Us.  The story, the gameplay, the animation, music, level design - everything about this game was perfect and groundbreaking - and set a new high bar in the industry.  Can't wait to see what Naughty Dog does next on the PS5!

Near Perfection (9/10)

The Last Of Us:  Remastered - was just as great as the original Last of Us - but didn't really bring a whole lot new to the table.  Still one of the best games ever made.

Until Dawn - really disappointed that Sony didn't market this more as it was one of my favorite games of the generation.  A playable 80's style slasher film that plays out by the choices you make where all 8 characters can live or die by those decisions.  Great story and replay ability.  Fun fact:  one of the actors would later go on to win an Oscar for best actor (Rami Malek for Bohemian Rhapsody)

Uncharted:  The Nathan Drake Collection - BluePoint did a great job with updating the trilogy.  It was fun playing again through these adventures getting ready for Uncharted 4's release.  Not a lot of new content - but still worth the value to replay these great adventures.

Ratchet & Clank - Pixar level animations in a fun, exciting universe to explore.  The Rift Apart sequel is looking very promising as well.

Horizon:  Zero Dawn - Aloy's first adventure was bold and daring - and really showed off the technical capability of Guerrilla Games.  Fighting the robot dinosaurs and trying to solve the mysteries of what happened to this world led to a fantastic adventure and great start to a new franchise.  Forbidden West should pick right back up where this one left off and continue to grow and bring this franchise to a new level on PS5.

Ghost of Tsushima - such a beautiful world to explore with a great story and combat system.  My only gripe with it was that it was a little too easy - especially towards the end.  I highly recommend playing with the Japanese voiceover on as it felt like you were playing through the classic samurai movies.  Haven't got a chance to try out the recently released Legends expansion - but have heard great things and look forward to trying it out soon.

Persona 5 / Persona Royal - Persona 5 was a great game - just not really my type of game.  I played through maybe 30-40 hours of the original - enough to know that it was a solid JRPG - but that type of grinding just isn't my style.  I've heard really great things about the Royal expansion - so maybe I'll revisit it in the near future.

Final Fantasy VII Remake - Square really delivered on this one.  I wasn't a big fan of the original - felt the turn based system was boring and could never really get into it.  The remake's combat system however was exciting and the story itself was epic and enthralling.  Hoping to hear an update soon on Part 2.

The Last Guardian - one of the most underrated games of this generation in my opinion.  Sure the controls and camera work can be a little clunky at times - but if you stick with it you'll be fortunate to experience one of the greatest stories ever told in videogames. 

Shadow Of The Colossus - another Ueda game that BluePoint masterfully remade.  If you never played the original I highly recommend this one.

On The Verge Of Greatness (8/10)

Infamous:  Second Son - the gameplay was great, the graphics amazing and learning and using the new powers was exciting.  The only thing I had against this game was that the main protagonist Delsin was so lame - especially compared to the original game's protagonist Cole. Got a sort of hipster / Antifa douche vibe from him throughout the entire game.  

Marvel's Spider-Man - don't get me wrong - this was a great game, and playing as and swinging through the city as Spider-Man never felt better - just felt like Insomniac played it a little too safe on the story side.  Nothing really surprised me.  Hoping they take more chances on the Miles Morales expansion and inevitable sequel.

Detroit:  Become Human - the story and gameplay were great - but there were still some of those awkward David Cage moments that derailed some of the scenes.  Love the replay value though with all of the different paths and endings.

Days Gone - there were a lot of early technical bugs - but fighting through the hordes was intense and the story was fantastic.  I have no doubt Sony Bend is already working on a sequel - and can't imagine how big and epic the hordes will be with the PS5's SSD capabilities.

Uncharted:  Lost Legacy - loved Chloe and Nadine's chemistry and thought the story was great - but felt that they rehashed too much from Uncharted 4.

Nioh/Nioh 2 - almost as hard as Bloodborne - but felt that the enemy variety wasn't there.  Still a fun, challenging series with a wonderful combat system.

Gravity Rush 2 - playing as Kat and soaring through the air was even more thrilling than the original gravity rush - just felt like the story was a bit all over the place.  

Death Stranding - say what you will about the "combat" and walking sim jokes - but no one can tell a story like Kojima!  I have never played a game that had me so enthralled from start to finish.  It really was a once in a lifetime experience - highly recommend to any scifi fans out there.

Could Have Been Something Special (7/10)

Killzone: Shadow Fall - a PS4 launch game that was a graphical showcase for the system - however the story was just not as good as the originals and didn't grasp me.

The Order:  1886 - another hidden gem in my opinion.  The graphics, gameplay and story were all top notch (especially working with a young Nikola Tesla) - the only thing wrong with this game was that it was just too short.  Think it only took me 6-7 hours to beat.  Really hoping that they one day make a sequel.

I'm sure there were plenty of other single-player games that I may have missed.  What other games did you play that you enjoyed?  Comment below.

Around the Network

I love singleplayer games. I voted Uncharted 4. With Cyberpunk delayed, TLOU2 will probably end up as my GOTY but I think Ucharted 4 has the edge.

Also because UC4's mp was a lot of fun. Factions 2.0 didn't make it in the TLOU2 package.

Heard so many good things about Ghost of Tsushima and together with Demon's Souls that will be the first game I play on PS5.

Voted Bloodborne because that game is indeed a masterpiece and one of the best games of the last 10 years and whoever disagrees well... you just cant take those kind of opinions seriously obviously. In no particular order: Uncharted 4, FFVIIr, GOW and Horizon would come after.

That said, a number of these games like Horizon and the Niohs have released on PC, so I dont know about "Sony exclusives". Leaving exclusivity aside, Nier:Automata would've been my pick. Thats my favorite game of the gen by far. Makes Nier and Drakengard look like child's play, and those two were already fantastic.

Jpcc86 said:
Voted Bloodborne because that game is indeed a masterpiece and one of the best games of the last 10 years and whoever disagrees well... you just cant take those kind of opinions seriously obviously. In no particular order: Uncharted 4, FFVIIr, GOW and Horizon would come after.

That said, a number of these games like Horizon and the Niohs have released on PC, so I dont know about "Sony exclusives". Leaving exclusivity aside, Nier:Automata would've been my pick. Thats my favorite game of the gen by far. Makes Nier and Drakengard look like child's play, and those two were already fantastic.

I mentioned timed and console exclusives were included in the poll heading.  They may be on PC - but you can't play them on Xbox or Switch if you're not into PC gaming.

UC is my favorite series, but for me GoT was the best game of the gen.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Spider-Man. I'm surprised it isn't in the poll.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 28 October 2020

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Spider-Man. I'm surprised it isn't in the poll.

Even though I like Days Gone, S-M is certainly much better regarded than it (and some other games on the poll).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

God of War, FFVIIR & Spider-Man

This is my fave PS4 single-player console exclusive.

Last edited by Leynos - on 29 October 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I voted for Horizon probably because I did not expect it to be THAT good. UC4 was great, but that was expected.