By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - anyone els ehaving issues with twitter?

Seems you can log in but not see any tweets by people you follow. Also, a day's worth of tweets is missing. I go to the support page and

"Our support team is experiencing some delays for reviews and responses right now, but we encourage you to report all potential issues" so you can't report anything

So just curious if anyone else having an issue.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

Seems to have been an outage starting an hour ago, my notifications area is completely empty.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

mZuzek said:
Yeah, apparently everyone's having issues.

A good thing if you ask me. Twitter sucks and it's ruining people.

I actually find it a useful way to keep up with a filtered stream of relevant news about topics/things that interest me, and to easily get in touch with developers and other creators.

What do you find so terrible about it?

Feed is back but still can't tweet

How are people tweeting? It still won't send shit through

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
curl-6 said:

I actually find it a useful way to keep up with a filtered stream of relevant news about topics/things that interest me, and to easily get in touch with developers and other creators.

What do you find so terrible about it?

Mostly the fact that it's become the most prominent site on the internet, to the point where its uses have gone far beyond the basic social media stuff. Just about every piece of news comes from Twitter nowadays, everything must be on there, and... well, it creates a lot of problems when it becomes that big.

Limiting every tweet to 280 characters already means it's not a good place for any kind of meaningful posts, and that's only made worse by a lot of other factors. The fact that it relies on a feed is bad enough, as that format uses an algorithm to decide on the things you're gonna be seeing, so it can and will and is used for manipulation. But then that algorithm is also made even worse by how replies to tweets are shown: the order in which they appear isn't based on how many likes a reply has, or when it was posted. It seems to be a completely arbitrary order each time, as it's also determined by an algorithm, and that algorithm prioritizes controversial responses above everything, which is why you end up with a lot of interactions like

> "I'm not the biggest fan of that game, didn't really do it for me"
> "Fuck you and your mom"

It's like... Everything is designed to cause conflict and extremism. Why? Because conflicts garner more attention, more attention means more interactions, more interactions means more activity, more activity means more ad exposure, more ad exposure means more money. It's no wonder the political state of our world has gone to shit in the way it has.

Another stupid thing that happens a lot in the age of social media is that people don't care about bringing others to justice anymore. Someone in your group said something racist? Well, block the guy and remove him from the group. Someone has been exposed as a rapist? Time to block the guy and ask Twitter to remove his account. As long as they're not on Twitter anymore, it's not a problem, right? (...) This sort of thing, cancel culture as they say, it's becoming more and more common and it's a joke. People who commit crimes should be punished under the law, not banned from Twitter.

There's more too, but anyways, you get the point. In this day and age, these things happen in every social media, that's true, but Twitter being the most prominent one means it's the one that's causing most problems, and also I believe it does it worse than most others, even if all of them are guilty of it.

Fair enough. I guess I just stay away from the outrage/cancel culture/politics/drama stuff for the sake of my own sanity, I only follow gaming accounts like Nintendo, Monster Hunter, etc so it works for me. I just find it a convenient way to keep up with the things that interest me.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 15 October 2020

Maybe it’s good to take a break. It’s the “front lines” of the console war lol. Let’s just say you better go in with a thick skin.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

It's just the main way I keep in touch with some people I have known online for over a decade. I and someone else was trying to talk about something and it was just annoying is all. I follow gaming and wrestling stuff and a lot of retro gamer stuff so I don't see the really nasty side of twitter people claim it is.