By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Research help (CG, Xbox, PS2 polygon specs)

I need some more data on what the highest in game poly count was for those consoles. These were what the console were claiming when released. 

GC – 12 million
PS2 – 75 million
Xbox – 125 million

So far I have the actuals around these numbers

GC - 20 million from - factor 5

PS2 - around 10 - 16 million no solid sources though

Xbox - 10 - 12 very little info

Thanks for the help?

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."

Your theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, your methods are sloppy, and your conclusions are highly questionable! You are a poor scientist. Especially if you think the moon landing was faked.

ioi + 1
Around the Network

Xbox:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units#Console_graphics_processors

Gamecube:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_ATI_graphics_processing_units#Console_graphics_processors

Pixel and vertex fillrate is probably more important than polygon count.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

Those are the hypothetical numbers or before other architecture is introduced. I was looking for real developer numbers.

Your theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, your methods are sloppy, and your conclusions are highly questionable! You are a poor scientist. Especially if you think the moon landing was faked.

ioi + 1
kenzomatic said:
Those are the hypothetical numbers or before other architecture is introduced. I was looking for real developer numbers.

They tend to be secretive about these things...

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

lol@ the PS2 number. I remember the ridiculous amount of hype around that machine. Showing a FMV video of Final Fantasy VIII and saying it was in game graphics, the old man face. If sony knows how to do something well, it's feed the public BS. It worked too.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Around the Network

y is the PS2 potential and actual difference so great?

dsoverpsp said:
y is the PS2 potential and actual difference so great?

Because it's a twisted real number. That number can be achieved if you use flat polygons with no lighting at all. But who would make a game like that anyway? Also, the CPU on the PS2 was very good for that kind of things, but as it did pretty much everything else too, better results could never be achieved. It was a faulty design.

OT:

Nintendo never revealed the raw polygon output of the GC, and calculating the real-world performance of all of them, depends on many factors. It's estimated that the Xbox had a very similar real-world polygong count to the GC, a bit higher probably. The PS2 in any case was the lowest (plus everything else looked worse) 

Still could use some help

Yes this was a former Section 8 topic 

ioi + 1