By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - 3080 had an unfair launch. Only those with bots got to buy a card.

Yeah fuck them. It was rigged. Zero cards were even listed for sale for five fucking seconds. Hell, not even one second. The cards simply went from "Coming Soon" to "Sold Out" instantly. Not even a literal millisecond. Apparently they pulled some caching crap where nobody gets to buy a card unless you have a bot farm. I didn't even get to put the 3080 into my cart, and try to buy it. And I was hitting refresh like a mad man. Might as well have handed every single card to the scalpers on a silver platter. And by every single card I mean all 400 of them. Because that might as well have been their fucking stock.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/iujhh9/rtx_3080_it_never_was_in_stock/

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 17 September 2020

Around the Network

I believe it's 6AM PST as the official time from Newegg and Nvidia but there are places that are already sold out.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

According to computerbase sale starts the same time NDA dropped yesterday today. Could be different for other countries.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Both Bestbuy, and Nvidia's site are not updated. It's past 6am. WTF?

Cerebralbore101 said:

Go into the actual shop, sold out. They locked out IP addresses, or cherry picked the first few auto notifies they received when that went live. My notify was never given and the function never changed on site.

I'm done with this company, thought at least they could give everyone a equal chance of getting to least the basket.

Around the Network
Random_Matt said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Go into the actual shop, sold out. They locked out IP addresses, or cherry picked the first few auto notifies they received when that went live. My notify was never given and the function never changed on site.

I'm done with this company, thought at least they could give everyone a equal chance of getting to least the basket.

Yeah fuck them. It was rigged. Zero cards were even listed for sale for five fucking seconds. Hell, not even one second. Apparently they pulled some caching crap where nobody gets to buy a card unless you have a bot farm. I didn't even get to put the 3080 into my cart, and try to buy it. And I was hitting refresh like a mad man. Might as well have handed every single card to the scalpers on a silver platter. And by every single card I mean all 400 of them. Because that might as well have been their fucking stock.

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 17 September 2020

Cerebralbore101 said:
Random_Matt said:

Yeah fuck them. It was rigged. Zero cards were even listed for sale for five fucking seconds. Hell, not even one second. Apparently they pulled some caching crap where nobody gets to buy a card unless you have a bot farm. I didn't even get to put the 3080 into my cart, and try to buy it. And I was hitting refresh like a mad man. Might as well have handed every single card to the scalpers on a silver platter. And by every single card I mean all 400 of them. Because that might as well have been their fucking stock.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/iuj23f/rtx_3080_sold_out_on_nvidiacom/

Same for so many people, I just believe they notified a select few. Or they never had stock to begin with, fuck knows and fuck cares now to be honest.

It's highly sought after. You just gotta find that magical retailer that still has one for some reason. From the first reviews I've seen it seems the FE isn't worth it anyway.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Random_Matt said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/iuj23f/rtx_3080_sold_out_on_nvidiacom/

Same for so many people, I just believe they notified a select few. Or they never had stock to begin with, fuck knows and fuck cares now to be honest.

Best of all, the aftermarket cards don't have as good cooling as the founder's edition, and cost more. This means that aftermarket cards will have worse benchmarks, for more money. I wouldn't be surprised if they upped the price on these cards in the future and used this "paper launch" to justify the price increase.

Oh well. Guess I'll stick with my 2070 Super until two years from now. I remember getting it last year in preparation for Cyberpunk. In hindsight it was a great choice, because the 2080 would have been turned into a waste by the 3080 launch, and the 3080 got a "Paper Launch".

Cerebralbore101 said:
Random_Matt said:

Best of all, the aftermarket cards don't have as good cooling as the founder's edition, and cost more. This means that aftermarket cards will have worse benchmarks, for more money. I wouldn't be surprised if they upped the price on these cards in the future and used this "paper launch" to justify the price increase.

Oh well. Guess I'll stick with my 2070 Super until two years from now. I remember getting it last year in preparation for Cyberpunk. In hindsight it was a great choice, because the 2080 would have been turned into a waste by the 3080 launch, and the 3080 got a "Paper Launch".

The prices already gone up, already said this was Nvidia's plan. Moores law is dead wasn't lying about this, one example is the EVGA FTW here is almost £1000. The majority are £749.

If AMD are going to do the same, then it is a hobby I cannot continue, I'm not going to be mugged.