Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dante will be available in SMT III: Nocturne HD Remaster! but via paid DLC...

Good.
People who don't want Dante can avoid the DLC. Those who want him have the option to buy him.

And for those that want this for free, they can contact Capcom and work out a free licensing deal for Atlus.
But don't talk to Capcom during a full moon, or you won't be able to pursuance them.

Last edited by Hiku - on 12 August 2020

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
I guess Capcom made Atlus and the people interested in the prospect of a living meme pay the price harshly.

I'll just buy the game without the DLC then.

Yea because Atlus would never have outrageous DLC practices .... 

In reality it's probably an issue with both companies. 

Hiku said:

Good.
People who don't want Dante can avoid the DLC. Those who want him have the option to buy him.

And for those that want this for free, they can contact Capcom and work out a free licensing deal for Atlus.
But don't talk to Capcom during a full moon, or you won't be able to pursuance them.

During a New Moon, Capcom is the one given you cash instead.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Mar1217 said:
I guess Capcom made Atlus and the people interested in the prospect of a living meme pay the price harshly.

Dante was not in this version on PS2. This is adding Dante to a different version of the game.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Mar1217 said:

*Looks at the way they handled P5,P5R and the Dancing games DLCs*

You'd be completely right, though Crapcom is in the mix sooooo .... I honestly, can't bring myself to think it was Atlus entire decision here :P

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network
Leynos said:

Dante was not in this version on PS2. This is adding Dante to a different version of the game.

Oh I know, I'm more or less fine with it being the Raidou version. 

Mar1217 said:

*Looks at the way they handled P5,P5R and the Dancing games DLCs*

You'd be completely right, though Crapcom is in the mix sooooo .... I honestly, can't bring myself to think it was Atlus entire decision here :P

Well what I expect is that Capcom just asked for royalties for having their IP in a video game, which honestly isn't unfair, that's just how crossovers work 99% of the time (except I think possibly the original SMT3 Maniax ironically ... I've heard there was some kind of deal due to Kaneko's DMC3 designs but I have no idea). I'm guessing that Atlus was the party which decided that instead of eating the costs and paying the royalties whilst making money back on the copies of the remaster sold, they should sell it as DLC - they make more profit that way and Capcom still gets the money back they want for the character. It's not entirely unfair or anything, I just think that's what's most likely to have happened, rather than say Capcom outright wanting Dante to be $10 DLC (unlike say Smash). That's just a theory though, but I think it makes the most sense. 

Ok I think this may need some further clarification.

What I was saying in my previous post was that if a guest character costs money (as is usually the case), expect them to want to try to make that investment back somehow. If its risk based, they may fall short, break even, or profit.

If the guest character was offered to them for free (which isn't realistic) then there would be little reason for them to charge money for it. But since that's likely not the case, and we don't know the conditions of the contract, it's hard to say that it should be free if we can't articulate why. So I never expect them to be. If they are, nice. If not, better luck next time.

20 years ago when characters were licensed out, there was no way to monetize on them through DLC.
Today, DLC sales change the value of the exact same character, in the exact same game. And either company may suggest that DLC sales are a part of the deal.

That can mean Capcom increasing the licenses fee proportional to the projected DLC profits for Atlus.
Or Capcom could charge a license fee and get a portion of the DLC sales. Or charge no license fee but instead get 100% revenue form the DLC sales, etc.

I don't know if this deal reasonable, because I don't know the details.
I wouldn't be surprised either way, given these companies track record. But if a DLC price is set higher than you'd expect, that's not necessarily just greed, but can also be because they don't estimate it would sell well enough to make them the amount they're aiming for at a lower price point.

Last edited by Hiku - on 12 August 2020