By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How would you feel if Sony's approach to next gen was along these lines?

Posted this over on reddit but always lurking here too so curious what you guys  think?

Buying order: Switch, better pc

Around the Network

So... basically cheaper gamepass?

There is already a thread meant for discussing a response to Game Pass. Considering the lack of on-topic discussion in that thread, could be worth sharing your concept there.

Free online multiplayer isnt happending.
Theres too much money in it....

Microsoft is turning free-2-play games online, free (not locked behinde gold), to equal out with sony & nintendo.
However I doubt any of them, will ever drop online fee's to play big AAA games (not just f2p ones).

"Free games to keep (forever), each month"  with playstation plus, would be the best additional and most realistic of happending.
Xbox does it that way right? why cant playstation seriously?

And here I thought people were against the concept of gaming as a service.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

I'm probably missing something, but I'm not sure how "PlayStation Infinity" would functionally differ from "PlayStation Now". Regardless, I'll always welcome a return to free multiplayer.

Currently Playing (So the world might be mended):

PlayStation 4: PlayStation 3: PlayStation Portable: PlayStation Vita:
Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (Raid Mode) Tokyo Jungle Valkyria Chronicles III

Soul Sacrifice: Delta

Transistor (Platinum run) Doom 3: BFG Edition PC:

Natural Doctrine

Salt & Sanctuary Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD Death's Gambit
Deadly Premonition: DC Deus Ex: The Fall

MP shouldn't ever been locked behind paywall, but that won't change because that brings a lot of money with little cost.
Infinity would be PSNow improved then? Doesn't care much but would see how that would change Sony game design with great concern.
PS+ would go back to what it was on PS3 but permanent keep of the games and cheaper? Good, but would have very few subs by looking at PS3.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DPsx7 said:
JRPGfan said:

Free online multiplayer isnt happending.
Theres too much money in it....

Microsoft is turning free-2-play games online, free (not locked behinde gold), to equal out with sony & nintendo.
However I doubt any of them, will ever drop online fee's to play big AAA games (not just f2p ones).

"Free games to keep (forever), each month"  with playstation plus, would be the best additional and most realistic of happending.
Xbox does it that way right? why cant playstation seriously?

It would be a pretty big bomb to drop on the competition if they did go free.
At least just the MP, the rest of the benefits would still be there under a pay wall.

They are mixing the Gold & Gamepass, so that everyone that plays xbox online (on a xbox) will also be a gamepass user.
This effectively means, that any online player on xbox, doesnt ever have to buy another 1st party game (as long as your subscribed to play online).

They made it clear, this was their direction.
So the "at least just the MP" wont happend.

Unless they make Halo a free to play game entirely, or sell only the campagne, while the multiplayer part of the game, is a f2p game.

So paying to play online (on xbox) unless its a f2p game is still going to be a thing.
Theres too much money in it for them not to do so.
Also they already put out their stance, on this, when they talked about xbox gold + gamepass merging into one.

I agree fully free online play, for all games, (f2p, or big budget AAA, or 1st party ones) would be a nice competitive offering.
Sadly non of the 3 have suggested going that route.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 02 August 2020

You could have just wrote PS Now instead of Infinity. I do like the idea of PS Plus going back to a purely value/marketplace discount membership. Hopefully that’s what Gold is doing, where Sony could potentially follow suit.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

I would wonder what's going to increase in price to offset the loss of revenue. More paid dlc instead of free updates and micro transactions? Higher priced hardware (console and controllers)