By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Live Movie Downloads

cleveland124 said:
I'm surprised no one has brought up the most important problem with HD off of live. It's that it's not really HD. If the average download it 5.5 gigs and the average movie SD DVD holds 8.5 gigs, that doesn't raise any questions to you? Until HD downloads reach Blu Ray quality I won't care.

I'm going to call BS on that. HD is a resolution not the quality therein. There are a number of lossy formats that will provide an extremely small file but an extremely high quality image. It wont be as high quality as blue ray but it will still look really really good.

Around the Network
Krusnik said:
FaRmLaNd said:
Digital distribution makes sense form a content creators perspective. They don't need to press the physical media, they don't need to ship it, they're under no obligation to create loads of extra content. Its makes more sense from a creators point of view then a consumers. The overarching philosophy being make more money by doing less.

QFG [quoted for garbage]

Really?! This is what i call tunnel vision. The last time i checked DD would also benefit the consumer as well from the spin-off effect of the reasons you listed. Reduced manufacturing and operational cost, would result in cheaper games as the saving would be passed along. Also how could you forget the impact it would have on the environment. With all the talk today on "going green" one would think you'd consider the resources put in to manufacture instruction manuals and disc cases. Both of these processes directly contribute to ozone depletion.

In case anyone doesn't know this by now i'm am a huge proponent for Digital Distribution [more an environmentalist though], to me, the sooner it becomes the the standard the better.

QFB (for bullshit)

I never stated that it wouldn't be a positive to the consumer. I just said its a change thats makes a lot of business sense from a content creation perspective. I hardly think a statement like yours was warranted at all. I mean it isn't ruddy rocket science! Of course the removal of manufacturing costs is better for the environment. Thats doesn't need to be explicitly stated for it to be true.

Futhermore, your obviously an early adopter. Your opinion isn't the mainstream one. The digital download sector is getting bigger. But it wont overtake physical media for a number of years. That is the reality. Many people often state that they like the phyisical media. I don't care eitherway. My work goes on whatever format is most popular. I'll be happy when DD becomes more mainstream. It'll save me a lot of money, and it'll minimise environmental impact.

FaRmLaNd said:
Krusnik said:
FaRmLaNd said:
Digital distribution makes sense form a content creators perspective. They don't need to press the physical media, they don't need to ship it, they're under no obligation to create loads of extra content. Its makes more sense from a creators point of view then a consumers. The overarching philosophy being make more money by doing less.

QFG [quoted for garbage]

Really?! This is what i call tunnel vision. The last time i checked DD would also benefit the consumer as well from the spin-off effect of the reasons you listed. Reduced manufacturing and operational cost, would result in cheaper games as the saving would be passed along. Also how could you forget the impact it would have on the environment. With all the talk today on "going green" one would think you'd consider the resources put in to manufacture instruction manuals and disc cases. Both of these processes directly contribute to ozone depletion.

In case anyone doesn't know this by now i'm am a huge proponent for Digital Distribution [more an environmentalist though], to me, the sooner it becomes the the standard the better.

QFB (for bullshit)

I never stated that it wouldn't be a positive to the consumer. I just said its a change thats makes a lot of business sense from a content creation perspective. I hardly think a statement like yours was warranted at all. I mean it isn't ruddy rocket science! Of course the removal of manufacturing costs is better for the environment. Thats doesn't need to be explicitly stated for it to be true.

Futhermore, your obviously an early adopter. Your opinion isn't the mainstream one. The digital download sector is getting bigger. But it wont overtake physical media for a number of years. That is the reality. Many people often state that they like the phyisical media. I don't care eitherway. My work goes on whatever format is most popular. I'll be happy when DD becomes more mainstream. It'll save me a lot of money, and it'll minimise environmental impact.

Then you'll have more farmland FaRmLaND. :)

selnor said:
cleveland124 said:
I'm surprised no one has brought up the most important problem with HD off of live. It's that it's not really HD. If the average download it 5.5 gigs and the average movie SD DVD holds 8.5 gigs, that doesn't raise any questions to you? Until HD downloads reach Blu Ray quality I won't care.
Your an absolute gimp. The SD movies for download are 1.7 roughly. MS are are awesome compression. They always have been. Yes it's true HD. File size has nothing to do with HD. It's the information contained within. Aso 6 hours of extra features is why BD films are 15 gig. On the net where I download any HD film to my PC non compressed they are 7 GB. You really have no idea. 

Thanks for directly attacking my character. You know HD downloads are not the quality of blu ray. Yes, downloads use compression tools, but surprise, blu ray disc also uses compression tools. Maybe download uses better tools but downloads are no where near the quality of blu ray. If 5.5 gig was enough for HD movies we'd have HD movies on standard dvds. And most blu rays are using the dual layered 50 gig discs now. And maybe there is 6 hours of content of the film, but most of the bonus content is not in 1080p due to the disc restrictions. Are HD downloads good looking? Sure, but not blu ray quality.