Forums - Gaming Discussion - I just beat my first Resident Evil game!

Yes, after all these years, I have finally beaten a Resident Evil game! I always found myself wanting to play a RE game, but for one reason or another, just never got around to it. Most of the time, it was due to Capcom's overpricing (especially the Switch ports), as well as me being overwhelmed due to the amount of titles in the series. I've heard mixed feelings about the 5th and 6th entries, and those opinions further repelled me from the franchise. Though, i've always heard good things about the first 4 games, and I was even considering picking up Revelations when it first came out for 3DS. Needless to say, I never bought any of them.

When Resident Evil 7 Biohazard was first revealed to have a first-person perspective, as well as returning to pure survival horror, my anticipation to play a RE title grew once again. While it may have been three years since then, the 2020 Steam summer sale was incentive enough to finally buy the game and play it! Long story short, the game is fantastic! Loved every moment of it. In my opinion, the first-person view makes things incredibly creepy and tense. I always found myself worrying what was behind me! I've personally never been a fan of third-person shooters, so the new perspective was definitely an incentive for me. Plus, I genuinely feel that it benefits the series more than the traditional third-person/static camera view. From what I can tell, this game seems quite different from previous entries beyond just the change in perspective. Kinda like a "Breath of the Wild of the RE series" due to the developer's willingness to change series conventions, as well as a good entry point for first time players like me. I'm not exactly sure how many plot references there are to previous games, but it did a great job doing its own thing.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. I'm excited to jump into Resident Evil 8 Village whenever it releases! I'm also considering jumping into some of the previous games, but my only worry is whether or not playing RE 7 first will affect my enjoyment of those (since i really like the new style of gameplay).

Around the Network

Now play the real version and finish it in VR..

China Numba wan!!

Congrats man. I don't enjoy horror games like I used to, ( too stressful ) so I haven't played RE 7 yet, in spite of the fact it looks fantastic. I think you should think about the remakes of 2 and 3. Especially the RE 2 remake.

Chinese food for breakfast

COKTOE said:
Congrats man. I don't enjoy horror games like I used to, ( too stressful ) so I haven't played RE 7 yet, in spite of the fact it looks fantastic. I think you should think about the remakes of 2 and 3. Especially the RE 2 remake.

Yeah, definitely! Heard a lot of good things about RE 2 Remake. I'll have to give it a shot sometime!

I'm so proud of you.

Hunting Season is done...

Around the Network

Welcome to the family, son.

mZuzek loves to pre-order

This is the only mainline RE game I haven't played yet. I wanted to play it in VR, but the opportunity never presented itself since I don't have a VR headset.

Last edited by Hiku - on 05 July 2020

That's great! Glad you enjoyed it :)

Resident Evil, in my mind, is one of the great video game franchises. I'd strongly recommend you try the rest of the series, although not every installment is outstanding. Still, among the mainline games there's really only one sub-par outing in Resident Evil 6 and even that isn't bad -- just middling.

I think comparing 7 to Breath of the Wild isn't that far off. Both buck gameplay trends from recent entries and focus on the original template. Outside of its opening hour, which feels more like an Outlast-esque stealth game, Resident Evil 7 feels a lot like the original Resident Evil, minus the change in perspective.

I am very interested in RE8 though. The village reminded me of RE4. So I plan to play 7 before it comes out. VR or no VR.

Hiku said:

I am very interested in RE8 though. The village reminded me of RE4. So I plan to play 7 before it comes out. VR or no VR.

RE 7 in VR sounds awesome! The game is already quite creepy as it is, so I can only imagine how much creepier it would be in VR.