By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Let's predict the price of PS5 and XBOX Series X

Depends on what Sony and Microsoft want out of these next-gen consoles. What is considered a competitive and reasonable price point for these consoles? How much are they willing to sell these consoles at a loss? How many games sold per console would help mitigate such a loss? Would PSN and Xbox Live/Gamepass mitigate the loss?

Around the Network

Do we really need two threads for this?

Ps5- $650
Xsx- $700
Prices in Australian dollars

Ck1x said:

Where do people come up with $100 difference is beyond me! Microsoft went with a larger gpu but other components are more conventional and then Sony has a smaller set-up but is choosing to run it at the red line (which you can't do for free). The cooling solution in the PS5 will be expensive, not to mention all of the custom hardware this thing will pack and expensive controllers. 

I saw someone state well Sony is making their own SSD for PS5, that sounds like a more expensive route than going with a company that does SSD drives as their main business. Sure the results Sony achieved are faster, but again it's not a free item to tally. The build of materials for both systems will most likely be super close to each other and I see them most likely both being $500 at launch...

Isnt it just a new model NVMe Samsung SSD? (not yet released)

Sony isn't makeing their "own SSD", their going with a new SSD made by Samsung soon to release to public (as far as I understand).

Infact with the playstation 5, you will be able to buy normal off brand SSDs, that are rated as "good enough" and slot into upgrade slots for more storage space.

The "only" real differnce between sony and microsoft, is sony made sure the machine isn't bottlenecked when moveing data around.
Also newer isnt always more expensive, to produce. Maybe Sony got a good deal with samsung? and what they paid for their SSD is basically the same as what Microsoft is paying for theirs.

Microsoft is the one that requires you to buy "their own" version of a SSD.
On the upside, that hot-swapable ssd slot, seems pretty cool. You can just pull it out, like a memory card, and plug a new SSD in.
This is likely to make SSDs for microsoft more expensive imo.  This is like those proprietary memory cards sony had with the vita.
That sh*t was expensive, and sony learnt their lesson.  Seems microsoft is about to go down that road with their SSDs slotable storage.

"The cooling solution in the PS5 will be expensive"

If you go small + fast, or Wide + slower, you still both end up around the same place.
Theres no reason to assume that the 12 Tflop Xbox series X, wont produce as much heat or more than the playstation 5 at 10,3 Tflops.

So basically... no real differnce in cooling costs should be there.
That said, I like xbox cooling solution, with the 1 big fan moveing lots of air..... its likely to be more elegant than the playstation one.
Cost wise, I think both will be around the same.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 12 April 2020

200 Bison bucks as long as they launch on a Tuesday.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

PS5 399 USD and Xbox Series X 499 USD