By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumor: Sony having thermal and performance issues with PS5, considering 6-12 month delay

Not sure it is the most credible source. You'd think Sony would have all this sorted out months ago. Either by making the PS5 itself a big bigger or some other way.

Sony has stated PS5 is on track to release this holiday.



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
Doctor_MG said:
Captain_Yuri said:
There are so many problems with the comment that I am gonna just say: I doubt it...

Also we did see a launch title... It's called Godfall

https://www.godfall.com/

I don't think any Godfall footage has been from PS5. It's all been on PC. 

method114 said:

The main thing that makes me thinks this is fake is that he puts all the blame on Sony being over confident. What does that have to do with them failing at heating issues? They were so overconfident that they just failed at completely designing it and instead just netflixed and chilled? Doesn't make sense. If this is happening it's not because Sony was to overconfident it was just a huge mistake on their end.

I could see overconfidence being an issue. All of the leaked documentation shows that the initial plans were for 9.2TFLOPS. It's completely possible that they quickly boosted frequencies of the console when there were grumblings of the Series X having over 12TFLOPS of performance. When you look at the clock speeds it makes perfect sense. 2.23Ghz with the 36 CU's is 10.28TFLOPS, but it if you decrease it to 2GHz brings it exactly at that 9.21TFLOPS of performance that was originally leaked. Overclocking would definitely cause more thermal issues, especially since they are doing it for both the GPU and the CPU. Which, it's not uncommon for a manufacturer to increase clock speed to get more performance out of an unlaunched console. The Xbox One did this, as an example. 

This was my first thought which is why I wont outright dismiss it. Here's the thing though if that's the case it seems more likely to me that Sony would hold off on the Dev talk they had claiming 10.28 TF (plenty of excuses with Cornoa going on) and correct the heating issue first. Then if they are unable to do that just release the system at 9.21 TF without the OC and heat issue resolved. Having the most powerful system has never guaranteed a win in this industry it would be silly for Sony to freak out so much about it.

In fact looking at history your more likely to lose.



kazuyamishima said:
So Sony is doomed Again??

it wouldn't be the start of a new gen without Sony being doomed



trunkswd said:
Not sure it is the most credible source. You'd think Sony would have all this sorted out months ago. Either by making the PS5 itself a big bigger or some other way.

Sony has stated PS5 is on track to release this holiday.

As if they would say otherwise.



Xxain said:
trunkswd said:
Not sure it is the most credible source. You'd think Sony would have all this sorted out months ago. Either by making the PS5 itself a big bigger or some other way.

Sony has stated PS5 is on track to release this holiday.

As if they would say otherwise.

If it wasn't on track they maybe wouldn't have released the statement at all.



Around the Network

There's something wrong about the ps5, too much secrets and lack of real information, this is not looking good for sony.



34 years playing games.

 

Unless we hear something else from Sony, this just strikes me as very disingenuous wishful thinking (other sites seem to agree as well). Not a strong source at all. Locking until something like this carries more weight than a simple tweet and mere speculation that will do little else than needlessly ruffle feathers.



                                                                                                                                                           

Doctor_MG said:
Captain_Yuri said:
There are so many problems with the comment that I am gonna just say: I doubt it...

Also we did see a launch title... It's called Godfall

https://www.godfall.com/

I don't think any Godfall footage has been from PS5. It's all been on PC. 

method114 said:

The main thing that makes me thinks this is fake is that he puts all the blame on Sony being over confident. What does that have to do with them failing at heating issues? They were so overconfident that they just failed at completely designing it and instead just netflixed and chilled? Doesn't make sense. If this is happening it's not because Sony was to overconfident it was just a huge mistake on their end.

I could see overconfidence being an issue. All of the leaked documentation shows that the initial plans were for 9.2TFLOPS. It's completely possible that they quickly boosted frequencies of the console when there were grumblings of the Series X having over 12TFLOPS of performance. When you look at the clock speeds it makes perfect sense. 2.23Ghz with the 36 CU's is 10.28TFLOPS, but it if you decrease it to 2GHz brings it exactly at that 9.21TFLOPS of performance that was originally leaked. Overclocking would definitely cause more thermal issues, especially since they are doing it for both the GPU and the CPU. Which, it's not uncommon for a manufacturer to increase clock speed to get more performance out of an unlaunched console. The Xbox One did this, as an example. 

The whole system and heat solution was designed with the permanent boost philosophy, transfer from TDP between CPU and GPU. That wasn't developed in 1 month to beat MS. It would be asinine to delay 12 months a launch because your 1 month boost didn't work out but you still will keep it.

This seems more like a wishful thinking than rumor itself.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."