By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Shoppers are rushing to buy PS4 and Switch in a panic because of coronavirus

What do you think

It's a smart move 10 76.92%

they better chose Toilet paper instead 0 0%

they forgot to buy Xbox One 3 23.08%

Total:13
starcraft said:
mjk45 said:

I agree but the pricing should not change this quickly the new stock in april is fine just depends on when they ordered it but any price hikes now is just gouging and should be stamped out look at the petrol price it goes up straight away but takes weeks to drop, btw I thought Hollygamer was from Indonesia.

Might be but she quoted an Aussie retailer haha.

There may be an element of gouging but...like compared to petrol and food and power I just dont think getting on top of console price responses to demand should be a priority.

How dare you. Request a permaban for this heresy. 😂

Around the Network
starcraft said:
ironmanDX said:
Not unexpected. Victoria seems to be on way to a total lock down.

How are you guys going with work?

I work for the ATO and we're currently trialling 500 staff to work at home...

Hopefully it isn't needed...

I dunno, a lot of experts saying the country should lock down.

I am still working for now.

What do you think? 

Apparently we're tracking rather close to Italy in infection rates... 

If we did a shut down for 3 weeks to eliminate it in our country and keep the borders closed... I'd be for it. 

Bandorr said:
To be expected. Specially if you were quarantined with someone.
Wonder how many of those purchases were for kids stuck at home.

I'd have considered getting one if I had a kid that was home 100% of the time while I was still trying to work.

I wouldn't think most purchases aren't for young kids, as I feel most parents would already have tablets for them.  Nothing distracts a kid easier than youtube and simple app games.

I wouldn't call it "panic buying" unless people are panicking about boredom.  Most people are going to be at home for a while.  A natural result is both video games and streaming services are going to benefit.  This is all basically a result of limited supply, because people are going to be bored.

During this time of a pandemic crisis people are finding ways to temporarily alleviate the situation, and some are crying that the X-box ISN'T the choice for it??? This goes beyond fanboyism.

Around the Network

Gas prizes have been getting lower around here. Every single time time i fueled my car it has been a bit lower for the past few weeks 

Chicho said:

Gas prizes have been getting lower around here. Every single time time i fueled my car it has been a bit lower for the past few weeks 

That's because global demand is down because no one is going anywhere these days.  Also, Saudi Arabia and Russia are in a oil war right now because Saudis wanted to cut production to drive up prices but Russians refused to curb output. Saudis went all out and ramped up production trying to hurt oil producers in USA and Russia since they can pump oil out at cheaper price than most countries (easier to get to their supplies).  So there is a one two punch going on that tanked oil prices.

Why no mention to Xbox? Unless it is japan its sales should also have rose with the other 2 consoles.
But yes it is expected that people would buy the consoles to enjoy their quarantines and also people expecting shortages due to corona they will anticipate their purchase as well.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

LivingMetal said:
During this time of a pandemic crisis people are finding ways to temporarily alleviate the situation, and some are crying that the X-box ISN'T the choice for it??? This goes beyond fanboyism.

We could joke that with PS4 and Switch out of stock people though "boredom or buy Xbox" and choose the first =p.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

This is kinda crazy. My daughter wants a Switch and Animal Crossing for her birthday and they're pretty hard to find, even here in the states. The big day is 30 days away so I hope I can find one. Did not anticipate this at all!