By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Smash Bros DLC 5 Presentation announced: 01/16 6AM PT

Hiku said:

Well, not every character can be a guest character. Those licenses aren't cheap. So the latest FE rep makes sense. Even though there are many FE characters in the game.

I imagined the three fingers/question marks could mean DMC3, Three Houses, No More Heroes 3, or 3 individual character reveals. Although the last one seemed very unlikely.

By the way, Capcom's Jan 16 announcement turned out to be a Style Change option for DMC3 for Switch.

Barkley said:

Welp... Fire Emblem character...

Not sure why this was apparently so secretive within Nintendo, nor why he said they'd be surprised.

Did Sakurai say people would be surprised?

Style switching is a game-changer for one of the best games ever made. But I already have the game a couple of times physically.  So unless they patch it in for PS4. Oh well. I hope new players enjoy it tho.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

Well, after the trend of third party characters of IPs that never appeared in smash before, a FE character is indeed a surprise.

Leynos said:
I just woke up and I turned on Youtube expecting some 3rd party thing. WTF is this shit?! ANother fucking FE character? WHO THE FUCK ASKED FOR THIS SHIT?!

Fire emblem fans?

MasonADC said:
Leynos said:
I just woke up and I turned on Youtube expecting some 3rd party thing. WTF is this shit?! ANother fucking FE character? WHO THE FUCK ASKED FOR THIS SHIT?!

Fire emblem fans?

Half the roster is FE. How many more do you need? I like Xenoblade but I am not asking for Rex. Shulk represents the series fine enough. May as well be 25 marths. Worse than Mario Kart Baby Marios and Metal Marios. It's a really lame way to fill a roster. If you want all 8000 FE characters in an FE game then put it in its own fighting game. BTW I like FE games but this is too much.

Hiku said:
JWeinCom said:

Does Nintendo pay licensing fees?  Honestly for a character like Banjo, it seems like Microsoft gains as much or more from him being in Smash than Smash gains from his presence.  

I'm sure the contracts can vary depending on the character or company. Cloud is probably worth more than Pac Man for example. But it's very unlikely that they'd allow their characters, stages and music to be sold for a profit, without getting anything in return other than exposure.

Sakurai has at least commented on the cost of music being very expensive.

"In the latest Famitsu column, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate creator Masahiro Sakurai discussed how music was selected for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Sakurai said some series require Nintendo to “pay a lot of money” just to use them in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Due to the high cost of music, Sakurai and his team are restricted to selecting a few tracks for the expensive series."
https://nintendosoup.com/sakurai-buying-music-for-super-smash-bros-ultimate-is-too-expensive-no-such-thing-as-bad-music/

The "some series" and "expensive series" part highlights how some I.P's are more expensive than others.
And I remember in the previous Terry direct that Sakurai said they picked out 50 tracks, expecting SNK to only approve of a few of them. But they told Nintendo it's ok to use all of them.

So that's an example of a company being flexible/generous with their I.P. And sounds like the license for the music was probably a set price, and not on a per-track basis. Considering the very few Final Fantasy tracks in the game, Square Enix were probably the opposite.

Cool.  Thanks for the information.

As much as I appreciate SNK's generosity, I kind of hate that so many of their tracks pop up when I'm using the music player option.  

Around the Network
Jranation said:
Nautilus said:
What irks me about this choice is not that its another fire emblem(well, its not the main reason anyway), but that Rex wasnt considered for the game because the game released too close to Smash.But then Byleth is considered, with Three Houses being released just 6 months ago?

I mean, I know why Nintendo did this(since FE is quickly gaining popularity ever since Awakening and its becoming more and more of a sales juggernaut), but it still sucks.

Goddammit Nintendo.You better bring Rex with Pyra and Mythra in the next fighters pass.

Or perhaps Sakurai is an Fire Emblem fan...... 

Sakurai loved XC 2.So if that was the decisive factor, he would have put Rex into the game.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Leynos said:
MasonADC said:

Fire emblem fans?

Half the roster is FE. How many more do you need? I like Xenoblade but I am not asking for Rex. Shulk represents the series fine enough. May as well be 25 marths. Worse than Mario Kart Baby Marios and Metal Marios. It's a really lame way to fill a roster. If you want all 8000 FE characters in an FE game then put it in its own fighting game. BTW I like FE games but this is too much.

You just lost my respect!

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Nautilus said:
Jranation said:

Or perhaps Sakurai is an Fire Emblem fan...... 

Sakurai loved XC 2.So if that was the decisive factor, he would have put Rex into the game.

The characters were already decided before the pass even released this was stated when Joker was revealed much like he said about the second pass, a TH rep was always on the way as the characters lend themselves well to a fighting game.

Nautilus said:
Leynos said:

You just lost my respect!

I like Rex but I rather more series get represented than more characters from a series.  One of the few exceptions I think would be Final Fantasy. I'd love to have Tera. I love how DQ did it. One character,multiple skins to represent the different heroes in DQ history.

Leynos said:
MasonADC said:

Fire emblem fans?

It is hard to take you serious like this