By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The absolute worst game clichés

Jonathan Nolan likes game narratives the best. Do you agree?

No way! 3 37.50%

Nah 2 25.00%

I don't think so 3 37.50%

Total:8
FentonCrackshell said:
As an avid RPG player I must say that “the chosen one” narrative is my most hated. Although many of my favorite games have this (Dragon Age: Inquisition, Dragon’s Dogma, etc.) I really don’t like it. I love it when I have a character (love it even more when I can create a character) who’s just there to help and ends up being the hero. Also, extra point for a choice between good & evil. Always a good playthrough as human male. Then evil playthrough as random race female.

I don't mind it though I agree that it's refreshing when you just happen to become the hero instead of following fate/destiny/whatever. The original Fallout nailed this since you just happen to be the one guy the leader of the vault sends outside. Ironically enough, they changed this with Fallout 2 where your character is literally called "Chosen One" lol.

Around the Network
Spike0503 said:
FentonCrackshell said:
As an avid RPG player I must say that “the chosen one” narrative is my most hated. Although many of my favorite games have this (Dragon Age: Inquisition, Dragon’s Dogma, etc.) I really don’t like it. I love it when I have a character (love it even more when I can create a character) who’s just there to help and ends up being the hero. Also, extra point for a choice between good & evil. Always a good playthrough as human male. Then evil playthrough as random race female.

I don't mind it though I agree that it's refreshing when you just happen to become the hero instead of following fate/destiny/whatever. The original Fallout nailed this since you just happen to be the one guy the leader of the vault sends outside. Ironically enough, they changed this with Fallout 2 where your character is literally called "Chosen One" lol.

Well I guess the first game you’re also “the chosen one” seeing as how you were chosen to go outside lol. 

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

In regards to #3 on the OP, Bioshock does an amazing job using that one. *spoilers* When you're instructed to start putting on Big Daddy armor it is very obviously not a good idea, and Atlas points out how obviously insane you'd have to be to do it. But at the same time, what options do you have aside from putting down the controller?

FentonCrackshell said:
Spike0503 said:

Well I guess the first game you’re also “the chosen one” seeing as how you were chosen to go outside lol. 

Haha, good point!

One of the most annoying cliches that seem to be popping up these days is the wardrobe fails that don't show enough skin on female characters, unless it is purely their artistic vision to make said choice. Luckily we still have Japanese developers.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261