By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Pokemon a E-Sport?

For those not familiar, Pokemon has video broadcasted tournaments called VGC: which are double battles with prize money, regional, national, and international competitions, and go on year round. 

I'm not E-Sport expert...but does that make Pokemon an E-Sport? 

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

Around the Network

By definition yes, it should be considered as one.

If it sounds like an e-sport, plays like an e-sport, gathers competitive players like an e-sport, has an audience like an e-sport...

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

I think e-sports is a dumb term in general, but at least with other games you can argue it requires some reasonable amount of coordination and dexterity. If Pokemon is a sport, so is chess.

mZuzek said:
JWeinCom said:
I think e-sports is a dumb term in general, but at least with other games you can argue it requires some reasonable amount of coordination and dexterity. If Pokemon is a sport, so is chess.

Um.

Yeah.

Chess is a sport.

So is Tennis, a single player sport.

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
JWeinCom said:

Um.

Yeah.

Chess is a sport.

I don't believe chess players have ever advocated for chess to be considered a sport.

And if the term sport includes both chess, football, boxing, and starcraft, then the term is too broad to have any practical use.

JWeinCom said:
mZuzek said:

Um.

Yeah.

Chess is a sport.

I don't believe chess players have ever advocated for chess to be considered a sport.

And if the term sport includes both chess, football, boxing, and starcraft, then the term is too broad to have any practical use.

No they do.