By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS5 controller design patent ,EDIT : Sony patent on gamepad hand detection (improving battery life)

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/ps5-controller-shown-in-patent-images/

A possibly of  PS5 controller design patent  are found in Japanese patent office websites.  It matches the description from Wired Article a while ago that has similarity with Dualshock 5 , Peter Rubbin from Wired mentioned it has a simmiliral (note; same but not identical) to PS4 DS4. Peter said it still has touch pad and light bar ( probably it will look slightly different from DS4)

" The patent specifically highlights a microphone, but comparison images posted online show that there are many subtle design changes between the pictured controller and the DualShock 4.

The controller pictured in the patent features larger triggers, slightly smaller sticks, a USB port and no light bar.

The prototype PS5 controller currently being sent to developers is described as “an unlabelled matte-black doohickey” that looks very similar to PS4’s DualShock 4, but Sony has confirmed some significant additions.

One major improvement added to PS5’s controller is “adaptive triggers,” which SIE says can offer varying levels of resistance to make game mechanics such as shooting a bow and arrow—the tension increasing as you pull the arrow back—feel more realistic.

The PS5 controller, which will switch to USB-C for charging, also includes haptic feedback, with highly programmable voice-coil actuators located in the left and right grips of the pad.

Combined with an improved speaker on the controller, the haptics can enable “astonishing effects,” claims Wired."

PS5 DUAL SHOCK 5 MOCKUP DESIGN

In a series of short demos the publication described in October, a character ran through a platform level featuring a number of different surfaces, which Wired said gave distinct and tactile experiences.

“Sand felt slow and sloggy; mud felt slow and soggy. On ice, a high-frequency response made the thumbsticks really feel like my character was gliding. Jumping into a pool, I got a sense of the resistance of the water; on a wooden bridge, a bouncy sensation.”

Next, a version of Gran Turismo Sport ported over to a PS5 devkit enabled the player to ‘feel’ the difference between dirt and track surfaces.

“Doing the same thing on the same track using a DualShock 4 on a PS4, that sensation disappeared entirely,” the article said.

The PS5 controller’s larger-capacity battery and haptics motors make it a bit heavier than the DualShock 4, it’s claimed. However, product manager Toshi Aoki said the final version will come in a bit lighter than the current Xbox controller “with batteries in it.”

My though :

1. It's very similar with DS4 but now it has Xbox One design element as well 

2. It slightly bigger and fatter

3. The light bar became smaller (probably help to reduce the reflection that always occur on TV)

4.They seemingly spread everything, especially the analog sticks, further away from the centerline, what is likely going to make the touchpad more ergonomic and easier to use.

EDIT: Sony patent on gamepad hand detection  to improve controller battery life by using vibration to detect your hand whether you are holding it or not .

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2019/0344163.html

Last edited by HollyGamer - on 18 November 2019

Around the Network

PS5 has to be the most unexciting console on the planet.

Very little innovation imo. The lightbar should have gone imo, as well as the touch pad which (at least in my own experience) is rarely used in an exciting or useful way. I hope the bigger battery does make it last longer than a single play session. The HD rumble is nice.

Last edited by OTBWY - on 18 November 2019

Its "slighty" thicker in the middle, and the grips look more like they took inspiration from the xbox controller....
Touch Pad looks bigger too.

Odd.... but I guess it ll work out well enough.

Xxain said:
PS5 has to be the most unexciting console on the planet.

Xbox Two?

Atleast PS5 still has some odd stuff it does like VR ect.
Also its "remember history" + being able to play PS1,2,3,4,5 games ect.

I think theres enough that it wont go down as "unexciting" when they unvail it.

Around the Network

did it go to MacDonalds or something?

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

trunkswd said:
JRPGfan said:

Xbox Two?

Atleast PS5 still has some odd stuff it does like VR ect.
Also its "remember history" + being able to play PS1,2,3,4,5 games ect.

I think theres enough that it wont go down as "unexciting" when they unvail it.

Xbxo Scarlett will be backwards compatible with all Xbox One games, as well as the current Xbox 360 and OG Xbox backwards compatible games on the Xbox One. Current accessories will also work on the Scarlett. Source.

From what little we know about PS5 and Scarlett both companies are continuing what they have been doing and make them more powerful and even closer to a PC. 

But its "new" on the playstation side.
While Xbox One already had selected xbox & xbox 360 titles for it.
With the PS5 its supposedly all titles, and its a first time for such.

Stronger battery good. Looks more comfortable good. DS4 is good in my opinion, but if the DS5 is like a level up version of DS4 then that's good enough for me.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

Not sure what everyone is expecting but in Sony's history they barely change their controller design so dont expect much for the DS5 either.

How a controller can still have symmetrical joysticks in 2020 is beyond me