By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony looking to buy more studios

Studio acquisitions are all the rage nowadays. Microsoft can't put on a conference without announcing a handful, and Sony got in on the act a few months back when it revealed that it had purchased Marvel's Spider-Man developer Insomniac Games. It looks like that's just the beginning for the PlayStation brand, however, as the company has now gone on record stating that it is pursuing more opportunities.

As part of its latest earnings call, where it also announced that the PlayStation 4 is now the second best-selling home console of all time, the hardware manufacturer said that it will "continue to pursue growth investment opportunities to enhance content IP". In other words, Sony is in talks with more studios in order to bolster its first-party line-up that little bit more.

We've known for a while now that the Japanese giant has been planning on acquiring developers ahead of the launch of the PlayStation 5, which it proved after buying Insomniac Games. The question now becomes: Which other studios could it purchase? We definitely think there's something going on between Remedy and Sony, while the masters of the remake, Bluepoint Games, is another top candidate. Housemarque, developers of Resogun, could be another potential target.

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2019/10/sony_is_looking_to_make_even_more_studio_acquisitions_ahead_of_ps5

Probably Bluepoint, or another 2nd party dev. 

Around the Network

Wouldn't be surprised if it was Kojima Studios or Supermassive Games.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Sony should buy Sega...so they'll have Atlus too :P

(so many Sega games are Sony console exclusives anyways, but allow Sonic to go on multiplats)

Well it is old new, just that Sony have said it again =p

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

It would be interesting to see Sony buy and invest in new studio, but I would love so see them going multi-platform with them. More than likely not gonna happen, but that certainly change the landscape of things.

Around the Network

Good. They should do exactly that. Hopefully a big studio.
They should just go ahead and buy Konami since they are clearly not interested in console gaming anymore.
That way we can get our Suikodens, Castlevanias and Silent Hills back.

These acquisitions always makes me nervous. I just hope its not Capcom.

Frequent mergers and acquisitions are actually a sign of an industry in trouble. A healthy company can grow on its own merits, but a less healthy company can look like it is growing by merging with or acquiring another company. This is not a knock against Sony per se, as this sort of thing is happening all over the game industry. It is just to say the game industry has some important underlying issues which it needs to address or else it will be in big trouble in a generation or two.

Bluepoint games would be a good acquisition.

Aquire Arrowhead already. With the recent growth spurt and AAAmbition i dont think they can sustain a healthy status of independence in this day and age.

Hunting Season is done...