By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 6/14 of SIE's WWS only produced 4 games this generation. Should they improve?

twintail said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
Idk what dirt Yamauchi has on Sony execs but it must be substantial for him to remain atop Polyphony even with the shit job they’ve done with Gran Turismo. Amazing that Evolution can be shit canned after Driveclub but PD remains.

This thread just reminds me of how safe Sony has played it this gen compared to PS3 and PS2.

I remember reading that Yamaguchi has another role with in the PS division outside of being the CEO of Polyphony. Besides, his studio makes money, something that couldn't be said of Evolution who were not canned only because of DriveClub, but because of the Motorstorm series too. They were an unprofitable team that couldn't deliver even when Sony let them create their passion project DriveClub.

How has Sony played it safe compared to the PS3?

Probably by not making the 6 games losing money, 2 breaking even and 2 bringing the money. Since all their games are now great success they are playing safe... last gen Sony was mocked by all the games that weren't blockbusters.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

I love GTS, looking forward to GT7 even more, PD is a studio of dream, not a studio of money. GTS is a game for Yamauchi himself after all he's done for PlayStation and fans, he just wanna make a game for himself and people like him, it's never about money, it's about dream, which some one will never understand.

It is true that this gen we have gotten less games from Sony studios compared to last.

I do hope next gen is better in this regard however didnt sony say something along the lines of focusing on quality instead of quantity?, this sounds great but also worries me because i dont know exactly what it means, are they gonna:

A) Stop making little games like Astro Bot and The London Heist and focus on making big AAA games next gen? (will we finally see Japan Studio making a big AAA JRPG?)

OR

B) It simply means what we already saw this generation getting less games from their big studios.

Last gen they could do quantity and quality (just look at Naughty Dog games last gen), and its sad to know that because game development get longer and longer every gen this doesnt seem to be possible anymore.

Intrinsic said:
Zoombael said:
Others should do better. Microsoft should do better. EA should do better. Valve should do better. PC gaming should do better. VGC should do better.

Sony doesnt need to do better.

errrrrr.... ok?

think you're missing the point of the thread.

Do i? The OP asks if people think SWWS should do better next gen. You re suggesting the only viable option is to trod along with the popular opinion. Although Sony studios represent highest standards.

When possible the development process should happen without delay and every shortcut taken. But rushed? Not in any case.

Myiamoto: "A delayed game is good eventually, a rushed is forever bad."

Are there good reasons it takes em longer then usual to develop games? Honestly, i dont give a damn. I rather risk increased waiting time than an increase in mediocrity. There is a whole lotta more gaming industry apart from Sony. A lot that has betterment necessary.

Hunting Season is done...

twintail said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
Idk what dirt Yamauchi has on Sony execs but it must be substantial for him to remain atop Polyphony even with the shit job they’ve done with Gran Turismo. Amazing that Evolution can be shit canned after Driveclub but PD remains.

This thread just reminds me of how safe Sony has played it this gen compared to PS3 and PS2.

I remember reading that Yamaguchi has another role with in the PS division outside of being the CEO of Polyphony. Besides, his studio makes money, something that couldn't be said of Evolution who were not canned only because of DriveClub, but because of the Motorstorm series too. They were an unprofitable team that couldn't deliver even when Sony let them create their passion project DriveClub.

Cool! Let him stick to that, he's god awful at being a game director lately. Also, I'm going to guess that if you give Evolution the GT name, they'd make money as well.

Sony played it safe for the same reasons others have listed ITT. Less games overall and even the ones they have made have been very safe and not much in the way of risky. It's smart on Sony's part, they saw what Nintendo was doing with the WiiU and what Microsoft was doing with Xbone and they rested on all the de facto standard support they get from Japanese companies. They had a lot of new IP's last gen and risky updates to older IP's like SOCOM and Warhawk. Not much of that at all this gen and even the new IP's they made like Horizon, were not risky in the slightest.

Around the Network
twintail said:
estebxx said:

It is true that this gen we have gotten less games from Sony studios compared to last.

I do hope next gen is better in this regard however didnt sony say something along the lines of focusing on quality instead of quantity?, this sounds great but also worries me because i dont know exactly what it means, are they gonna:

A) Stop making little games like Astro Bot and The London Heist and focus on making big AAA games next gen? (will we finally see Japan Studio making a big AAA JRPG?)

OR

B) It simply means what we already saw this generation getting less games from their big studios.

Last gen they could do quantity and quality (just look at Naughty Dog games last gen), and its sad to know that because game development get longer and longer every gen this doesnt seem to be possible anymore.

Is it true though?

You can't really cut gens with a hard line like that and not take into account when games released, cancellations and other stuff.

I think you just see them doubling down on what they did for the PS4. PSVR stuff is still going to be experimental as it moves to AAA budget games. Quality doesn't mean that stuff like Astro Bot goes away, they just get more money/ time to be made. 

So far YES

Looking at the high profile AAA first party games of last gen versus this gen its very obvious which delivered more.

Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, Media Molecule, Insomniac and Polyphony Digital released more AAA games last gen and the other studios released about the same.

You said this:

You can't really cut gens with a hard line like that and not take into account when games released, cancellations and other stuff.

To which i say:

This same reasoning applies to the PS3 as well which renders that entire point as irrelevant, unless you wanna pretend that the PS4 was the only one that suffered from inconvinient release dates that took time away from game development, games being cancelled and as you put it "stuff".

Not to mention even if you were correct this doesnt dissprove my point at all which is that we got less games this gen, all this does is provide reasons as to why but it doesnt change the final outcome which is we got less games, to conclude my point is vey simple: we got less games this gen and i hope we get more the next one.

Last edited by estebxx - on 02 September 2019

LudicrousSpeed said:
twintail said:

Cool! Let him stick to that, he's god awful at being a game director lately. Also, I'm going to guess that if you give Evolution the GT name, they'd make money as well.

Sony played it safe for the same reasons others have listed ITT. Less games overall and even the ones they have made have been very safe and not much in the way of risky. It's smart on Sony's part, they saw what Nintendo was doing with the WiiU and what Microsoft was doing with Xbone and they rested on all the de facto standard support they get from Japanese companies. They had a lot of new IP's last gen and risky updates to older IP's like SOCOM and Warhawk. Not much of that at all this gen and even the new IP's they made like Horizon, were not risky in the slightest.

New IPs are always risky. As is changing how a classic like GOW plays. The difference is, Sony focused on quality over quantity and still has a better output in both categories for their system than their main competition, XBO.

I don't see this changing next gen, either.

Last edited by thismeintiel - on 02 September 2019

thismeintiel said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

New IPs are always risky. As is changing how a classic like GOW plays. The difference is, Sony focused on quality over quantity and still has a better output in both categories for their system than their main competition, XBO.

Nah. They made an Ubi clone with a female lead and marketed the hell out of it. Nothing risky about that. Same with God of War. They changed it to a modern formula that has been proven many times to be successful. 

Quality over quantity is just an excuse. And a weak one, too. Last gen they had both. This gen they can only have one? 

LudicrousSpeed said:
thismeintiel said:

Nah. They made an Ubi clone with a female lead and marketed the hell out of it. Nothing risky about that. Same with God of War. They changed it to a modern formula that has been proven many times to be successful. 

Quality over quantity is just an excuse. And a weak one, too. Last gen they had both. This gen they can only have one? 

Lol. Except they do have both. Like I just stated, if you want a company that needs to address both their quality and quantity, look no further than Xbox.

It’s cute and predictable that you’re turning this into console warz, but that’s not the discussion going on.