Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony aquires "Insomniac Games"

This makes sense.

Its also yet another sign that for all its mis-steps, MS has some very positive impacts on Sony - no way this happened without MS' buying spree.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

Finally. It looks like spider man success made that happen.

think-man said:
About time! Doea that mean Sony now owns Sunset Overdrive?

should be. i wonder if the other VR / mobile games are owned by Insomniac too. Ports would allow them to get smaller/ other stuff out between presumably the next ratchet and Spider-man titles.

VideoGameAccountant said:
CGI-Quality said:

Because it was expected, it is unlikely to be anything related to Microsoft, but it is pointless to debate because no one will ever know. 

Well, if you look above we have at least Daniel Ahmad saying what I'm saying. That said, I fail to see how it being expected would mean it's not because of Microsoft. It was expected because Microsoft has been buying up studios and Sony has said soon after they will do the same. Again, if Sony was bolstering their portfolio then they wouldn't buy Insomniac because they work with Sony regardless. Thus, the only reason to spend the capital to buy them was to defend against someone else buying them. 

And debating these things is kind of the fun of message board discussions.

I think this is a bit of a strange take on the situation. Firstly, the entire MO for Sony is to work with a studio before buying them. Saying Sony would not buy Insomniac only to bolster their portfolio is just a complete misreading of how Sony usually acquires studios compared to how MS is doing so now.

Also, there was no way Insomniac was ever in threat of being bought off by MS that Sony would have to defend against losing them. Sony is pretty much the only publisher Insomniac has seen actual long term success with, and don't forget that Sony were the ones who offered a Marvel IP to them ad they chose Spider-man. They were pretty much gifted it due to their working relationship with Sony. There was no way they were going to lose access to SM or Ratchet just to go with MS.

If Sony wasn't a company known to acquire studios, the claim that this was somehow driven by MS would hold water. But, because this is the type of thing they've been doing since the PS1, it's par for course, especially being Insomniac. If it was another company, particularly one known to work closely with Xbox, you'd hear a different tune from me. Unless we have a laundry sheet of them reacting to them, there's nothing to suggest it has anything to do with them.

twintail said:

Well, if you look above we have at least Daniel Ahmad saying what I'm saying. That said, I fail to see how it being expected would mean it's not because of Microsoft. It was expected because Microsoft has been buying up studios and Sony has said soon after they will do the same. Again, if Sony was bolstering their portfolio then they wouldn't buy Insomniac because they work with Sony regardless. Thus, the only reason to spend the capital to buy them was to defend against someone else buying them. 

And debating these things is kind of the fun of message board discussions.

I think this is a bit of a strange take on the situation. Firstly, the entire MO for Sony is to work with a studio before buying them. Saying Sony would not buy Insomniac only to bolster their portfolio is just a complete misreading of how Sony usually acquires studios compared to how MS is doing so now.

Also, there was no way Insomniac was ever in threat of being bought off by MS that Sony would have to defend against losing them. Sony is pretty much the only publisher Insomniac has seen actual long term success with, and don't forget that Sony were the ones who offered a Marvel IP to them ad they chose Spider-man. They were pretty much gifted it due to their working relationship with Sony. There was no way they were going to lose access to SM or Ratchet just to go with MS.

Indeed.

I melted; dreams do come true.

Around the Network
Barozi said:
Sony hopes to get a bigger cut of the Spider-Man money, yet the choice to purchase now was pretty bad. Should've done that after the disaster that was Fuse.

As an Insomniac fanboy, I still put all the blame on EA for that one. They were probably hoping Insomniac were going to go under and need someone to save them (by destroying them) afterward.

CGI-Quality said:

If Sony wasn't a company known to acquire studios, the claim that this was somehow driven by MS would hold water. But, because this is the type of thing they've been doing since the PS1, it's par for course, especially being Insomniac. If it was another company, particularly one known to work closely with Xbox, you'd hear a different tune from me. Unless we have a laundry sheet of them reacting to them, there's nothing to suggest it has anything to do with them.

twintail said:

Indeed.

Agreed. More likely the studio saw how every game after going full on multiplat ended in disappointment, and they were most likely not doing so hot financially before PS4 Spider-Man, so decided it was time to come home to Sony. That and it guarantees them the Spider-Man license going forward.

Xxain said:
This is not even slightly Interesting. Why buy a studio that by choice, would only develop for your consoles anways?

In short: to keep them away from Microsoft. Microsoft has been buying companies left and right and has indicated they will buy more. Sony (and likely Nintendo) are looking at this as Microsoft taking resources away from them. It's only natural they would go after a key studio that they couldn't afford to lose first. There will be more acquisitions like this. This is honestly the least surprising one as many people predicted this. 

Not a chance in hell that Insomniac would take an offer from MS. These are not forceful takeovers on MS's part

Not at all surprising, this has been a long time coming.

Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

So I guess we can expect more Spider-Man. We'd better get to play as Miles in Spider-Man 2.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames