By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Mass Effect PC spec info - whats the deal?

I agree minimum requirements aren't bad at all. Recommended requirements aren't even bad.

Around the Network

you guys are shocked about the processor. WHAT ABOUT THE HDD SPACE NEEDED.

12 GIGABYTES!

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

There have been times when I have thought that some people don't really understand how weak the XBox 360 and PS3 are when compared to PC hardware that is currently available. My Athlon X2 3800+ and Geforce 7800GT is very similar in performance to my XBox 360, and my PC is well below the hardware that is readily available today.

Sqrl said:

These aren't that different from AC specs and those were also pretty low yet people complained. I think some people just don't realize that the GPUs these minimum spec GPUs are actually 4 years old.

@cwbys21,

Solution for your Ram Problem: 2GB(2x 1GB) DDR2 800 CL5, with Lifetime Warranty - $40 link

PS - You actually want them split up into multiple slots BTW, it allows your motherboard to take advantage of dual channel. Speaking of, make sure your motherboard supports DDR2, or tell me what mobo you have and I can double check but I'm about 99% sure it does.

I would love to tell you what mobo I have, but I have no idea how to find that out.  As for adding more ram, it would probably be best to have 4 x 512 since I already have 2 x 512.

BottledSpringWater said:
Recommended
Processor: 2.6+GHZ Intel or 2.4+GHZ AMD
-------
Why does the processor manufacturer matter?
Why do you need a better Intel CPU than an AMD one?
SOMEONE ENLIGHTEN ME!

Think about it like this, if you have person A and person B.  Each is capable of 2 operations per minute.  Both cannot multiply directly and must use addition; Person A multiplies 2 numbers through repeated addition, and person B uses a modified method similar to what you learned in school.

They are both asked to solve: 100*9=?

Person A: 

Minute 1: 100+100 = 200; 200+100=300

Minute 2:  300+100=400; 400+100=500;

etc... until 4 minutes have passed and they reach 900 as the answer.

Person B: 

Minute 1:  First Digit: 9*0=0; Second Digit: 9*0=0

Minute 2: Third Digit: 1*9= 0+9=9 

1.5 minutes later he has 900

Its sort of a simple example, but computers are not always equivalent in terms of how they go about carrying out the simple tasks at a low level.  Really all the clock cycle rating does is provide a heart-beat for synchronizing tasks so that data moves along as its supposed to and doesn't get ahead or behind its intended location in the process.

If you have questions ask, electronics and computer engineering is one of my majors =) 

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

@ssj12

I agree, wtf is with 12 gb? The DVD9 in the 360 itself only would hold ~9 gb. These better be upgraded textures and what not since PC can be much higher than whatever resolution the 360 is done in.

cwbys21 said:
I think that is pretty high myself. I'm pretty much at bare minimum and my computer is two years old and is pretty good. I realized that I probably would need a newer graphics card here soon but not this soon.
2.8ghz dual core
1gb ram

Why not grab a radeon 3870 or a 9600gt Circa $130 or a little less from somewhere like newegg or tigerdirect and grab another 2gb of ram in 1+1gb configuration? That would cost you round $160-170 and you'll be able to play any of the modern games. I think the radeon 3870 might have longer legs than the 9600gt as far as lasting as an upgrade and its dual slot so the hot air goes out the back like its supposed to. Edit: 2x 1gb would be better, but no higher as you're running into the 4gb limit on 32bit software anyway. I just read that you have 2x512mb. I wonder if this shows how much performance the 512mb of ram limitation eats up on the Xbox360? Also remember that Intel and AMD cpus do more per clock than the cut down IBM powerpc cores in the Xbox360.

Tease.

cwbys21 said:
Sqrl said:

These aren't that different from AC specs and those were also pretty low yet people complained. I think some people just don't realize that the GPUs these minimum spec GPUs are actually 4 years old.

@cwbys21,

Solution for your Ram Problem: 2GB(2x 1GB) DDR2 800 CL5, with Lifetime Warranty - $40 link

PS - You actually want them split up into multiple slots BTW, it allows your motherboard to take advantage of dual channel. Speaking of, make sure your motherboard supports DDR2, or tell me what mobo you have and I can double check but I'm about 99% sure it does.

I would love to tell you what mobo I have, but I have no idea how to find that out. As for adding more ram, it would probably be best to have 4 x 512 since I already have 2 x 512.

Ok well, do you remember where you got it?  There aren't a lot of good ways to find out what mobo someone is using without downloading software and I typically don't trust such software at all.

At least figure out what CPU you have exactly with this: 

Start->Run (this brings up a box) clear the box and type "dxdiag" this is a diagnostic tool. On the first page it should tell you in detail the name of your processor copy that into the thread if you could please. (this is more of a backup plan in case the next thing doesn't get it). Click exit when done.

To Each Man, Responsibility

OK, I have a low profile 256 MB Geforce 8600GT over clocked to 630/1480 MHz. Where would you put its performance for this game according to the graphical requirements?

My processor is a Intel Pentium D CPU 2.8ghz 2CPU
But I don't see how that tells me what the mother board is, unless you have some way to check what mother boards are compatible with that processor?