By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Would you like to see a new race in Starcraft 2?

I was going to register in a more appropriate forum, but since there's SC fans here too, I thought what the heck.

So would you like to see a new race in Starcraft 2? I would, although it's hard to come up with a race differing greatly from the others while attaining the superb balance the original game is known for.

I've come up with a 'race' that is essentially comprised of Von Neumann nanobots. The Terran would have had problems fighting the Zerg until they finally came up with a way of creating a self-replicating nanobot (Von Neumann machine) and the ability to control them. They would beat the Zergs easily with the vigorously spawning machines that gather integration/disintegration information from signals sent by the Terran commanders.

The problem would have been in that the scientists created a very progressive evolutionary algorithm to enhance the nanobots' co-operativness. That would lead to an emergent behavior of the nanobots, which results in group intelligence. Just when the Terran are about to disintegrate their useless army, the self-aware assemblance of nanobots would attack them fiercely as a defence. Because the nanobots know the weaknesses and strategies of their builders, the Terran would have to plead assistance from Protoss.

So basically the nanobots would be unique in the way that every unit is built of number of nanobots and all except the self-aware units could be disintegrated to a collection of nanobots. For example, you could start disintegrating buildings (made of nanobots) and end up with X number of nanobots that can be ordered to integrate to form whatever can be formed with X number of nanobots, like fighting units.

The Blizzard team seems to have eliminated some of the things I hated in the game like the colliding and stucking units. They have retained the hilarious ledges and ramps though. What annoyances would you like to see changed in Starcraft?

Around the Network

I'd want to see a new race... However: I Don't believe it'd be relevant.

With all 3 races already included in the first version Blizzard created a game with strong and very different races. All balanced out PERFECTLY! As such... It would probably destroy the PERFECT status of the games balance if they were to introduce a new race. This comes with all 3 races being very different and having next to nothing in common.

Conclusion: I believe it wouldn't be necessary to include another race in Starcraft 2 versus the 3 races available and playable in Starcraft. But only to expand and further improve the rock-paper-scissors plan within the 3 available races.

THE NETHERLANDS

This is going to be very tough for Blizzard, because many people would want to see a new race but if the balance is altered, a storm will rise. Whatever they do, some people are going to get upset.

To think about it, 4 races sounds lame. What about 5? I wouldn't want to see any humanoids though, as there are already the Protoss. It's f'n annoying to see aliens with 2 eyes, one mouth, 2 arms, 2 legs etc. in just about every scifi-movie and game. They should hire people with imagination.

I was happy with the additions to WarCraft 3 so I would like to see at least one new race to StarCraft.

Currently playing:
Wii: MySims | Xbox360: Halo3 / Pac-Man C.E | DS: Scurge | PSP: Ghost in the Shell

"Lesbians, Better then eMail."
~Lanky Man - My Big Fat Independent Movie

As long as balance is maintained... I am already a little concerned it might be getting too complicated for multiplayer. That's fine for single player, but if it takes too long to get up the tech tree in multiplayer matches, it will lessen the replay value. That's one reason I prefer starcraft over warcraft. (Although the first warcraft was nice and quick, but only for two players...)

Around the Network

I think they should keep it for an expansion to Starcraft 2

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

jlauro said:
As long as balance is maintained... I am already a little concerned it might be getting too complicated for multiplayer. That's fine for single player, but if it takes too long to get up the tech tree in multiplayer matches, it will lessen the replay value. That's one reason I prefer starcraft over warcraft. (Although the first warcraft was nice and quick, but only for two players...)

Umm.. are you implying that the number of races affect the time it takes to get up the tech tree?

Yulegoat said:
jlauro said:

Umm.. are you implying that the number of races affect the time it takes to get up the tech tree?

No, that's not what I meant to imply.  I watched the protos demo, and I am a little worried the tech tree might have increased in size making it not as good for a fun quick multiplayer game.   That said, I really should save judgement until the game is out.

For number of  races, I don't care aslong as balance is maintained.

I want to see what's going to happen with the whole Zerg/Protoss hybrid thing. Moreso I want to know who Duran was actually working for (he mentioned he was working for someone else, not Zerg, Protoss OR Terran).

Maybe Xel'Naga survivors? ... :o

Kind to think of it, it would make sense with the whole Starcraft storyline. The Xel'Naga tried to create the perfect race, but neither the Zerg or Protoss met their expectations. The Overmind tried to merge both races to create the perfect race, and Durans motives are still unkown as to why he tried doing it too. Perhaps the Overminds gestures were a foreshadowing? Hmmm... Maybe the Xel'Naga are going to come in as a fourth race, but have their "Perfect" creations with them as an army?

By life end:

• Wii- 100 million+
  • Xbox360- 35~40 million
  • PS3- 30 million
  • PSP- 30~32 million ------------- FAILURE
  • NDS- 85~90 million (Skeptical)  - FAILURE
  • NDS- 100 million+ (Optimistic) -- Success!

jlauro said:

No, that's not what I meant to imply.  I watched the protos demo, and I am a little worried the tech tree might have increased in size making it not as good for a fun quick multiplayer game.

Yeah, I thought that might be possible too, but it may also be that they delete some of the old 'branches' of the tech tree. I'll be severley pissed if they remove Archons and Dark Templars. When using Protoss, I always scattered Dark Templars patroling near and a bit further of my main defense and so the enemy had hard time of attacking if they didn't bring cloak revealers with them. They're also very good for guerrilla attacks. Archons I used as a main attack force and I withdrew them to recharge in Shield Battery as soon as they got hurt. I don't have the same love for any of the other races' units.