By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Epic Games introduces $100 Million "Epic MegaGrants" | $5,000 to $500,000 for UE4 Projects and Certain Open Source Tools

Epic Games introduces $100 Million "Epic MegaGrants" | $5,000 to $500,000 for UE4 Projects and Certain Open Source Tools (No Repayment Required)

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/blog/epic-games-introduces-100-million-epic-megagrants-initiative-investing-in-devs-enterprise-education-and-beyond

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/faq

Have a read of the above. EPIC are going hard after the indies. Here's a snippet from the article. That Fortnite money is going to good use.

"Awards from Epic MegaGrants will range from $5,000 to $500,000 and will cover a wide variety of endeavors to further strengthen creativity and innovation within the 3D community. This includes projects built with Unreal Engine or developers enhancing open-source 3D content creation, whether or not it integrates with or relates to UE4. All Epic MegaGrants recipients will continue to own their IP and will be free to publish however they wish. Submissions will be evaluated, and grants awarded, on a continual rolling basis as funds allow, with no firm deadlines to submit."

Around the Network

Seems like Epic want everyone under Unreal Engine,not exactly an amazing thing to see, because it leads to that nice monopoly people like to fight against, but not entirely fight against.

Also, if I am correct, Grants are meant to be paid back over time in some way or another. Devs get to own their IP, but not the engine that runs it.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

BasilZero said:
Cool incentive

Hopefully this leads to improved indie games

Yeah. Great to see more support for indies. This move could pay off big time in the long run for Epic. 

the-pi-guy said:

Grants are not meant to be paid back.

To be fair, a lot of people already use Unreal Engine.  

Then I wonder just how many years they can keep that up. I'd hate to see it being sued now and dumped later, like a lot of other companies do in time. 

A lot of people also use Unity and other engines, especially over the years. It's nice to see some variety in engine use, than just everyone hailing under EG one engine. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

the-pi-guy said:
Chazore said:

Then I wonder just how many years they can keep that up. I'd hate to see it being sued now and dumped later, like a lot of other companies do in time. 

A lot of people also use Unity and other engines, especially over the years. It's nice to see some variety in engine use, than just everyone hailing under EG one engine. 

What would they get sued for? 

This is moreso a continuation of a program that just ended.  It'll probably end when the $100 million gets sent out.  If it's still successful, they will probably extend it again.  

used*

YEah, but I'd like to see this being extended indefinitely, to a point where it's clearly nonviable to do so (because I strongly believe that it isn't viable long-term, so why focus on the short when your core focus should always be on the long term).