By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch mini v Heat

If Nintendo wants to make the smallest Switch possible, they have to ignore docked mode.

The smallest possible Switch won't be capable of running in 'docked' (high res) mode due to heat.

If a Switch-mini can only output at 720p when docked ie portable and docked are equivalent, will Switch sales suffer?

Will consumers choose docked mode with better graphics over portability?

Answer: NO!

Prediction: Switch micro/mini (the smallest form factor Switch) will output at 720p not 1080p when docked. It will still 'Switch' but it will stay at HH-resolution/fps.

Sales will go up not down.

Last edited by Pyro as Bill - on 12 January 2019

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network

Why would Nintendo make a smaller Switch? So far there has only been three rumors regarding a Switch revision: a redesign that could be smaller or bigger (like they use to do), a handheld only variant and a Switch Pro. And of those, only the handheld only model would have to actually be smaller.

Besides, there are things Nintendo could do to avoid overheating problems, even with a smaller design.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:

Why would Nintendo make a smaller Switch? So far there has only been three rumors regarding a Switch revision: a redesign that could be smaller or bigger (like they use to do), a handheld only variant and a Switch Pro. And of those, only the handheld only model would have to actually be smaller.

Besides, there are things Nintendo could do to avoid overheating problems, even with a smaller design.

Nintendo could add built in controls and knock 40% off the size of the current Switch whilst keeping everything else the same.

To make things smaller and as portable as possible, they have to remove the added heat from docked mode.

Add a more efficient chip and Switch can be shrunk further if docked isn't a concern. Docked mode hurts the portability of a more portable Switch.

If the choice is between outputting in HH-mode (720p) v docked mode (1080p) consumers will drop the extra resolution for increased portability.

Nintendo has cleverly chose the 'worst' of all possible hybrids. Tabletop and removable controllers is the middle-ground. It's Mario in SMB2 or Ryu in SF2.

Soon there'll be a choice between Mario, Peach and Toad or Ryu, E Honda and Chun Li.

You could argue that the portable-Nintendo console gamers are the 'real' Nintendo gamers. Nintendo ignoring them would be the biggest mistake they've ever made.

If you take the view that the portable market are the 'real' Nintendo fans then WiiU ports aren't ports but sequels.

shikamaru317 said:

The simplest way to deal with heat would be to use a Tegra X2 instead of a Tegra X1, X2 is a 16nm chip compared to 20nm for X1, so you can tune via clock speeds to either have more graphics and processing power than the Switch's X1 at the same power usage, or the same graphics and processing power with lower power usage. Using X2 should allow them to make a Switch Mini/Handheld that is smaller and has better battery life, but also with the option for docking it and achieving the same resolution as a standard Switch when docked (dock presumably sold separately to help cut down on costs and hit a $250 or $200 price point that will have mass market appeal).

Even if they used TX2 (which i assumed), the smallest possible Switch is still one that ignores/doesn't have to worry about the heat from docked mode.

Pyro as Bill said:
JEMC said:

Nintendo could add built in controls and knock 40% off the size of the current Switch whilst keeping everything else the same.

To make things smaller and as portable as possible, they have to remove the added heat from docked mode.

Add a more efficient chip and Switch can be shrunk further if docked isn't a concern. Docked mode hurts the portability of a more portable Switch.

If the choice is between outputting in HH-mode (720p) v docked mode (1080p) consumers will drop the extra resolution for increased portability.

Nintendo has cleverly chose the 'worst' of all possible hybrids. Tabletop and removable controllers is the middle-ground. It's Mario in SMB2 or Ryu in SF2.

Soon there'll be a choice between Mario, Peach and Toad or Ryu, E Honda and Chun Li.

You could argue that the portable-Nintendo console gamers are the 'real' Nintendo gamers. Nintendo ignoring them would be the biggest mistake they've ever made.

If you take the view that the portable market are the 'real' Nintendo fans then WiiU ports aren't ports but sequels.

If you really think Nintendo will use integrated controls, you must be kidding.

Now, if heat is of that much concern for you, there are other ways to do it, one being the use of an X2 chipset like shikamaru said.

But another option could be as simple as going with a thicker console. You see, the actual Switch design doesn' t have much room for a good cooling solution, but with a thicker design airflow would be greatly improved on any mode, plus with the added benefit of giving the user better grip. Now, would it need a new dock? Yes, but that's not really a problem since they will be able to sell it as an accessory.

Besides, as I said, we don't know if they're going to make a smaller design.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
JEMC said:

I'm not suggesting 'stick-on analog controls'. I'm saying adding controls doesn't add much to the console therefore the joycon setup is only useful for tabletop or as a 'free' 2nd controller. This is a great bundle for some Nintendo fans but there are better.

Now, if heat is of that much concern for you, there are other ways to do it, one being the use of an X2 chipset like shikamaru said.

That doesn't change the fact that 'the smallest possible Switch won't be capable of handling the heat from increased res/fps in docked mode'. HDMI will allow a clone (720p) without added heat. Most consumers will choose this over a model that has better gfx when docked.

But another option could be as simple as going with a thicker console. You see, the actual Switch design doesn' t have much room for a good cooling solution, but with a thicker design airflow would be greatly improved on any mode, plus with the added benefit of giving the user better grip. Now, would it need a new dock? Yes, but that's not really a problem since they will be able to sell it as an accessory.

Thicker =  less portable. I'm only talking about the most portable Switch possible (without reducing gfx).

It would be the biggest mistake they've ever made to assume that Switch is as portable as traditional Nintendo-HHs. Switch is a great way to try and convince them to play on their TV and it will get some converts but not all of them will make the Switch to 1080p if 720p is good enough.

FYI, 720p on a 6'" screen looks better than 1080p on a 60" screen. If the screen gets smaller, then the graphics will look even better. Resolution isn't really a factor in this situation.

Pyro as Bill said:
JEMC said:

I'm not suggesting 'stick-on analog controls'. I'm saying adding controls doesn't add much to the console therefore the joycon setup is only useful for tabletop or as a 'free' 2nd controller. This is a great bundle for some Nintendo fans but there are better.

Nintendo cares A LOT about controls. They're not going to give sub-par experience, worse than the one the Switch offers right now, just to make their machine a tiny bit smaller. That doesn't mean that they won't get rid of the joycons, although I doubt they will as it would make it incompatible with some games, but that doesn't mean that they're going to get rid of the traditional controls.

Pyro as Bill said:
JEMC said:

That doesn't change the fact that 'the smallest possible Switch won't be capable of handling the heat from increased res/fps in docked mode'. HDMI will allow a clone (720p) without added heat. Most consumers will choose this over a model that has better gfx when docked.

As I already said, there are ways to improve the cooling even on a smaller design. For starters, the use of an X2 chip at the Switch's X1 level of performance would result in a much lower power consumption, allowing Nintendo to use a simplified cooling system.

Pyro as Bill said:
JEMC said:

Thicker =  less portable. I'm only talking about the most portable Switch possible (without reducing gfx).

It would be the biggest mistake they've ever made to assume that Switch is as portable as traditional Nintendo-HHs. Switch is a great way to try and convince them to play on their TV and it will get some converts but not all of them will make the Switch to 1080p if 720p is good enough.

Thicker does, in no way, mean equal to less portable. We're not talking about a Switch revision that's twice as thick, only two or three extra millimeters would do the trick.

And the Switch's biggest problem when it comes to portability is its batery life, and then, the size.

In any case, Nintendo knows that they do when it comes to the build quality of their consoles. If they decide to go with a smaller version of Switch, they'll launch a properly cooled product.

JEMC said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Nintendo cares A LOT about controls. They're not going to give sub-par experience, worse than the one the Switch offers right now, just to make their machine a tiny bit smaller. That doesn't mean that they won't get rid of the joycons, although I doubt they will as it would make it incompatible with some games, but that doesn't mean that they're going to get rid of the traditional controls.

Joycons are going to be compatible with every model of Switch. The ability to stick them on the side of the console is a bonus for HH-gamers.

As I already said, there are ways to improve the cooling even on a smaller design. For starters, the use of an X2 chip at the Switch's X1 level of performance would result in a much lower power consumption, allowing Nintendo to use a simplified cooling system.

I've never noticed the fan running in HH-mode. If HH doesn't use the fan then that proves the current Switch could be even smaller (built in controls= - 40%, - fan/heatsink =-?%). 

Thicker does, in no way, mean equal to less portable. We're not talking about a Switch revision that's twice as thick, only two or three extra millimeters would do the trick.

And the Switch's biggest problem when it comes to portability is its batery life, and then, the size.

I disagree. I think size is a bigger barrier than battery life.

In any case, Nintendo knows that they do when it comes to the build quality of their consoles. If they decide to go with a smaller version of Switch, they'll launch a properly cooled product.

Yeah, no though.
They should be able to make a small enough Switch that can output at 1080p while docked.

Nintendo should be able to do this easily enough with an X2 SoC.
Either a stock chip, or a 7nm shrink should be able to get the job done if they try.