By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony ramping up censoring of Japanese games, now forcing all Japanese games to go through Western content inspections

I remember someone once telling me that Sakura from Naruto was a better heroine than Nami from One Piece, and legitimately brought up Sakura showing less skin as a reason. It was totally baffling and inane to me, but sometimes I wonder if it's not rare for people to put a bigger focus on design and aesthetic more than the actual content behind those designs.

To me, and just taking this news as is, this is a disappointing decision by Sony. Not only because its caving to crybabies who these games aren't appealing to in the first place, but because added regulation is likely going to make things harder for smaller devs who might not have the resources to fund another round of regulations, and only get by with a loyal fanbase who likes the type of aesthetics these games are aiming for.

Of course, I can understand why Sony would do it, given today's political climate, but that doesn't make it any less disappointing to me.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Around the Network
Slade6alpha said:
Good on Sony. Don't need to see that stuff.

As if they were forcing you to play those games otherwise.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Mar1217 said:
Man, we've been a long way since the localization controversy of #FE TMS ... Nintendo has pratically open themselves to everything and now Sony tries to do the exact contrary of what they promoted at the beginning of PS4's life.

Still doesn't change my stance that if it's inputed mindlessly into the game with no reason than just for the hornies out there, then I certainly won't cry over such things.

Well yeah, if not enough people like the content enough to purchase a game, then the developer won't earn a good profit or even amass a net loss. At that point, they either change things up to make their products more appealing to the consumers or close down.

Amazing! It's difficult to express how happy this news makes me!

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Well if the Switch did not have Japan on lock before, it certainly will now!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

Ok. Now Sony needs to die. Seems like their Politically Correct movie division infected SCE. They're really getting ahead of themselves again.

I understand the screening western audience because it's a fucking loss cause but for fucks sakes leave the other regions alone. This conformist behavior is killing everything.

Wow what a stupid thing to start doing.

I can't believe I live in an era where Sony censors and Nintendo doesn't care. And I REALLY can't believe it reversed in the span of like a year and a half.

Super_Boom said:
I remember someone once telling me that Sakura from Naruto was a better heroine than Nami from One Piece, and legitimately brought up Sakura showing less skin as a reason. It was totally baffling and inane to me, but sometimes I wonder if it's not rare for people to put a bigger focus on design and aesthetic more than the actual content behind those designs.

...So who's the better heroine?

Super_Boom said:

To me, and just taking this news as is, this is a disappointing decision by Sony. Not only because its caving to crybabies who these games aren't appealing to in the first place, but because added regulation is likely going to make things harder for smaller devs who might not have the resources to fund another round of regulations, and only get by with a loyal fanbase who likes the type of aesthetics these games are aiming for.

Of course, I can understand why Sony would do it, given today's political climate, but that doesn't make it any less disappointing to me.

Better sales of the uncensored version should eventually make things right. I recall many years ago Mortal Kombat 1 being censored on SNES. The Genesis version ended up outselling it so Nintendo relented and MK2 released uncensored.

Wallets speak louder than words. Sony's just gonna have to learn.

KLAMarine said:

PC will always be best platform: even if games get censored, modding means censorship can be undone.

Yes but by Sony forcing "PC" content, they're covering both bases. Smart.