By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What did the Sega-CD II cost around the time of the Sega Saturn launch? (Sega Neptune question)

Does anyone know how the cost of the Sega CD (and, especially, the Sega CD II) evolved over the course of its life?  I can find launch pricing, but I'm a little uncertain of how its pricing evolved as it matured.

What I'm trying to imagine is what a CD-based Sega Neptune would have cost.  The Sega Neptune is a cancelled Sega console that was a Genesis and 32X in one.  No pricing for it is known, aside from the fact that it was planned to sell for less than $200 USD.
A CD-based version of the Neptune could have been interesting.  I'm curious how close to the Sony Playstation's $299.99 USD price point such a device could have been (or could it even have been below that?).
While the Saturn was undeniably more powerful than the Neptune, some games showed that the 32X might have been able to come close enough for some consumers, especially if it had a price advantage, and especially since it was offering backward compatibility with Sega Genesis games.  It's interesting to imagine an alternate universe where Sega saw the writing on the wall that the Saturn was going to be too expensive, too hard to develop for, and released only the 32X and the Neptune (especially a CD version of the Neptune).  This would have maintained better consumer goodwill, and left them in a stronger position going into the Dreamcast.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said: 

I'm pretty sure my parents paid $149 for the one they got me and my brother in 1994, was $229 at launch in 1993. Not sure if it dropped any more after that.

$149 + something less than $200, with the economies of scale of putting it into one system rather than separate systems, and it sounds to me that they maybe could have got the price down to $299.99.  Interesting.  Thanks for the information!

Sorry OP, but this would have been a huge disaster. Doubling down on two proven failures would have been insane. There's an old saying: When you mix a bucket of ice cream with a bucket of shit, you get two buckets of shit. And both the Sega CD and 32X, again, sorry, both fall into the latter category. Combining them and focusing on this Neptune platform in lieu of the Saturn would have almost certainly tanked Sega as a hardware manufacturer years sooner than it actually happened. I honestly......There's so many reasons. Nobody was supporting either platform as it was. It wouldn't have even sniffed the 3rd party support the Saturn received. Under powered. Already both commercial flops. Existing libraries largely thought to be poor. Even the Saturn, for it's shortcomings, was at least a success in Japan.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."