By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Advice on PS4 pro

John2290 said:
Panicradio said:
You and people who plan to buy a 4K TV sooner or later should definitely save the money until HDMI 2.1 replaces the old HDMI standard. It is announced for Q4 2018. It will provide ALOT of improvmements. And even more so the PS5 will undoubtfully support it hardwarewise, too.

Eh, going to plan around the November sales or at the very least Jan sales. I don't want one of those entry level TV's so hopefully I can get one of those 800 ish TV's for 600 or so. I missed a fantastic drop on a near 1000 4k TV for 729 last year and I don't wanna miss a deal like that again. At least I'll be ready.

Btw, does one need a HDMI 2.0 cable for 4k and by any chance is the one that comes with the ps4 pro 2.0? Also, what exactly are these improvements with 2.1? 

It is unlikely that HDMI 2.1 alone will cause prices of 4K TVs to rise significantly. In the end it is "just" the new standard with all the new technical benefits it brings with it.

Improvements of HDMI 2.1 are alot, just check out. Most importantly for console is the FreeSync thats been mentioned before and various sound enhancements.

Serious, when you consider buying a new TV, wait for it. HDMI 2.1 is a 4x faster standard than today's.

Around the Network
John2290 said:
globalisateur said:

This. I also wait for the official release of HDMI 2.1 to buy a new TV with 4K, HDR, and adaptive framerate (freesync). Also it's sill too expensive now.

Hmm, they're not all that expensive. You can get an entry level tV here for about 400, after sales that'll be closer to 300 euro and if you want a brand name Tv with hood reviews 600-800 is doable, maybe 500 ish with sales. That was pretty much the pricing with 1080p right up until 4k TVs started hitting the market. They won't drop much below that until 32 inchers start hitting but there isn't much point in buying 4k any less that 42 inches. 

Also I want 120hz ! Cause HDMI 2.1 allows 4K 120hz. you sure that's cheap ? :P

On the config for the video config you can choose improvements for fullHD displays... and on PSVR I guess all games benefit, they just doesn't have a checkbox to select (since this isn't a case of choosing more res or fps, on psvr)

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

John2290 said:
globalisateur said:

Also I want 120hz ! Cause HDMI 2.1 allows 4K 120hz. you sure that's cheap ? :P

No way in hell next gen will shoot for over 60fps. 

I can already see some relatively simple games with a 120fps mode on PS5. For instance Fornite at 120fps is a no brainer

And with freesync 120hz will be a blessing. Plenty of games already run at a solid 60fps this gen, they'll just have to uncap them in order to have 60-120fps framerates.

You need to dream bigger !

shikamaru317 said:

Well, every game that runs at higher than 1080p on PS4 Pro is super-sampled down to 1080p on a 1080p tv/monitor. This results in a cleaner image than you would get playing the same game on a normal PS4 or PS4 Slim. It's basically like extra anti-aliasing.

It's exactly like Anti-Aliasing.
It's actually how Anti-Aliasing was originally done... However it ended up being extremely inefficient on hardware...
So what GPU manufacturers would later do was have the GPU detect the edges of objects and Super Sample only those parts instead, meaning less work needed to be done.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

The main benefit of Pro is the resolution improvement , so you really need the new screen. In some 3rd party games there is option for higher framerate (like Hellblade or Tomb Rider), but my personal preference has always been higher resolution. 

My Pro is also noticeably more silent than launch PS4, but I believe Slim is the most silent of all PS4 versions. 

The choice of the screen is where I would put focus on. TVs are the only reasonably priced option for 4k  HDR. I swithced to Pro when it launched, and I decided to move from TV to monitor, and I bought Asus 4k 60Hz monitor, no HDR. Monitors have very low input latency, and I have found this solution to fit me best. However, if you are set for TV, I recommend oo check for a low latency version. There are huge differencies, ranging from 20ms to 60ms. Monitors are typically less than 10ms. Input lag is the time between the monitor getting the input from hdmi to the point when it is on screen. This istypically the mid value. There is actually a difference between top, middle and bottom of the screen.

The reason why TVs have higher input lags is the image processing in the TV, and for normal watching of films there is no impact if the TV spends time on optimising the image, but in games of course you want to see real time.