By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - The USA and the paradox of tolerance

What's your opinion on the free speech policy on the USA?

Free speech should be pri... 15 50.00%

Intolerant speech should not be tolerated 15 50.00%

Total:30
John2290 said:
I believe everything short of in person harassment or speech to clearly incite violence or harrasment in person should be free to all. You Ameicans are giving up freedoms and from a country that only recently has distanced ourselves from the Catholic church and still have issues in law to sort out under individual freedoms, I think anyone advocating for peoples feelings over peoples freedoms are idiotic beyond belief and you don't know what you're manifesting in the worlds future, an environment of fear and resentment and possibly real world violence through repeats of history of revolution.

We haven't gotten rid of any freedoms.

An aspect of freedom of speech that often gets ignored is the freedom to respond.  If you say I'm not allowed to criticize someone for being racist, you're stomping on my freedom of speech to do so.  

Around the Network
LuccaCardoso1 said:
pokoko said:

So ... what?  You want people to be arrested if they think that?  Prison?  Fined?  Expand upon this more, please.

It's impossible (and the things that would make it possible are pretty immoral) to arrest someone because of what they think, but if someone goes on Twitter, for example, and writes "I hate Obama because he's black" (that's a grotesque simplification, but you get the point), that person should, at least, be fined.

I think anybody can have his or her personal views and express them appropiately as long as they don't spread hate, violence or discrimination.

Like if i said I don't like being around Muslims because i don't agree with their religion. Should i be fined or arrested? No that's just a closed minded opinion but with all the right to have as long as i don't harass nor attack anyone.

Snoorlax said:
LuccaCardoso1 said:

It's impossible (and the things that would make it possible are pretty immoral) to arrest someone because of what they think, but if someone goes on Twitter, for example, and writes "I hate Obama because he's black" (that's a grotesque simplification, but you get the point), that person should, at least, be fined.

I think anybody can have his or her personal views and express them appropiately as long as they don't spread hate, violence or discrimination.

Like if i said I don't like being around Muslims because i don't agree with their religion. Should i be fined or arrested? No that's just a closed minded opinion but with all the right to have as long as i don't harass nor attack anyone.

Islam is a set of ideas. Being black is nothing more than your skin colour. You can disagree with Islam, but it's impossible to disagree with being black because there's nothing to disagree with.

G O O D B O I

Sounds like something a commie would say. Absolute free speech is far superior to living in the USSR, I'm sure, so yeah free speech should be fully protected!

Sorry, my politics are quite the opposite of Nazism and racism, but I'd rather not give the state the power to determine which speech content is tolerated and which is not.

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
Sorry, my politics are quite the opposite of Nazism and racism, but I'd rather not give the state the power to determine which speech content is tolerated and which is not.

The latter is exactly what you should expect to find in a nazi state, so yeah, that checks out with your politics anyway.

Ka-pi96 said:
Sounds like something a commie would say. Absolute free speech is far superior to living in the USSR, I'm sure, so yeah free speech should be fully protected!

Karl Popper started as a communist, but when he wrote this (and for most of his life after he left the Communist Party), he strongly opposed Marxism and totalitarianism. He's actually one of the most well-known liberal philosophers.

It's not that binary. You don't need to have absolute free speech to not live on a communist dictatorship. Otherwise, the only non-communist country in the world would be the USA.

G O O D B O I

LuccaCardoso1 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Karl Popper started as a communist, but when he wrote this (and for most of his life after he left the Communist Party), he strongly opposed Marxism and totalitarianism. He's actually one of the most well-known liberal philosophers.

It's not that binary. You don't need to have absolute free speech to not live on a communist dictatorship. Otherwise, the only non-communist country in the world would be the USA.

heh, I was right. So he was a filthy commie. Not much difference between them and nazis, they're both evil!

LuccaCardoso1 said:
pokoko said:

So ... what?  You want people to be arrested if they think that?  Prison?  Fined?  Expand upon this more, please.

You would support a fine for somebody saying something you do not agree with? Time to grow up, seriously mate.

OhNoYouDont said:
LuccaCardoso1 said:

You would support a fine for somebody saying something you do not agree with? Time to grow up, seriously mate.

It's not about agreeing or not. You can say you hate Obama because of what he did, you just can't say it's because he's black. There's no discussing in racism, it's not something you agree or disagree with. Racism is just objectively wrong.

G O O D B O I