By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Building a new PC in a month. Looking for advice. Buying parts Oct 11th.

Random_Matt said:
OP get a seasonic or corsair PSU

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Yg6V29

I did that yesterday. Going for a 650 watt seasonic PSU. 

Around the Network

I think this will be my final update. Found a decenly priced monitor with Freesync. Changed the 580 t0 4GB VRAM to save a bit of money. Besides 8 GB VRAM is overkill for 1080p. 

Pemalite said: 
Cerebralbore101 said:

Did some research on PSU units, and decided to go for a well known brand with more wattage. Apparently PSU units perform best when they only have to output 60% to 80% of their total wattage. Changed the 580 GPU to one that was recommended by logicalincrements.com. 

Edit: I went back to the 3200 RAM, and am using a different board. Boards that support 3600 RAM speeds are expensive. Now using a 1TB SSD. 

Correct.
Power Supply Units have an "efficiency curve". - That will of course change depending on the load (I.E. Gaming vs Desktop), temperature (I.E. Fans spin up using more energy, PSU efficiency goes down the hotter it gets.)

For a single Radeon RX 580 and a Ryzen 2700X however, you shouldn't need anymore than a quality 600w-700w unit. And please get a quality unit, it should outlive your PC that way.

I would invest in a quality motherboard anyway. - The DDR4 speed will impact CPU performance, which will impact turn times... So don't underestimate it, I would go with a smaller SSD (500GB~) if it meant faster Ram, but that's just me personally.

How's my current power supply? Is EVGA reliable? Is Gold Standard quality enough? Or should I drop an extra $50 on Titantium/Platinum? 

Cerebralbore101 said:

I think this will be my final update. Found a decenly priced monitor with Freesync. Changed the 580 t0 4GB VRAM to save a bit of money. Besides 8 GB VRAM is overkill for 1080p. 

Pemalite said: 

Correct.
Power Supply Units have an "efficiency curve". - That will of course change depending on the load (I.E. Gaming vs Desktop), temperature (I.E. Fans spin up using more energy, PSU efficiency goes down the hotter it gets.)

For a single Radeon RX 580 and a Ryzen 2700X however, you shouldn't need anymore than a quality 600w-700w unit. And please get a quality unit, it should outlive your PC that way.

I would invest in a quality motherboard anyway. - The DDR4 speed will impact CPU performance, which will impact turn times... So don't underestimate it, I would go with a smaller SSD (500GB~) if it meant faster Ram, but that's just me personally.

How's my current power supply? Is EVGA reliable? Is Gold Standard quality enough? Or should I drop an extra $50 on Titantium/Platinum? 

If I were you, I'd go with the 8GB variant of the 580. Not just because the extra memory (not as overkill as you may think), but also because most 4GB boards have slightly lower clocks for the memory, so you're losing not only capacity, but also performance.

A Gold rated PSU is more than enough. The extra price of higher rated models aren't worth it unless your electricity is very expensive. If you want to spend more money on a PSU, do it by going with a fully modular unit.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

I agree with JEMC.

Any reputable brand (I.E. EVGA/Corsair/Seasonic) and so on will be reliable... Well. They certainly won't be a Shaw which can catch on fire or explode.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

JEMC said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

If I were you, I'd go with the 8GB variant of the 580. Not just because the extra memory (not as overkill as you may think), but also because most 4GB boards have slightly lower clocks for the memory, so you're losing not only capacity, but also performance.

A Gold rated PSU is more than enough. The extra price of higher rated models aren't worth it unless your electricity is very expensive. If you want to spend more money on a PSU, do it by going with a fully modular unit.

Well the 8GB version is now the same price as the 4GB version. So whatever is more cost effective. 

Around the Network

I don't know why you would get a 4 GB graphics card over an 8 GB one. Do you want your build to be obsolete in a year? The RX 580 8GB were had for $349.99 during the mining craze (cheap) but you can probably find one for $299.99 or less now.

OhNoYouDont said:

I don't know why you would get a 4 GB graphics card over an 8 GB one. Do you want your build to be obsolete in a year? The RX 580 8GB were had for $349.99 during the mining craze (cheap) but you can probably find one for $299.99 or less now.

I changed it back to the 8GB version, since the prices for both are the same (At least any models with good reviews). 

Just bumping this thread, since I'll be buying parts on Thursday.

Hey! It's been more than a month simce you bought your parts. How's the PC going? Are you happy with it?

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.