By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The biggest improvement of Fighter's model from Smash WiiU -> Smash Ultimate

Kirby's cast of course.

Kirby looks a lot different with the new lighting engine, while Dedede and MK received great overhauls of their model.

WiiU

Ultimate

Last edited by Mar1217 - on 15 August 2018

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network
melbye said:
They look the same to me

Are you serious? I mean why don't you take a look at the hair between those two models it will give you a small hint of huge improvements. 

The biggest change is the lighting. That is night and day better than Smash 4. Animations are are vastly improved. Textures, shaders, and overall level of detail are also higher, but not as improved as the lighting and animations. And most models probably have a somewhat higher polygon count, but that is probably the least significant upgrade.

Of course Dark Samus would see a huge improvement. Your model is going to get a lot more attention when it goes from assist trophy to full-fledged playable character.

LGBTDBZBBQ said:

Wii U

Switch 

The improvements are massive, from an upscale 3ds KIU model to a new model in Smash Ultimate.  

Honorable mentions 

For some reasons DK Ultimate version looks worse than Wii U version.

Care to give us a comparison between Ultimate DK and Wii U DK?

CaptainExplosion said:

LGBTDBZBBQ said: 

For some reasons DK Ultimate version looks worse than Wii U version.

There's quite a difference in the design, so it's understandable why some prefer the old one. Personally though, I always thought DK was one of the ugliest, if not the ugliest character in Smash 4, I find the new design to be infinitely better.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
CaptainExplosion said:

There's quite a difference in the design, so it's understandable why some prefer the old one. Personally though, I always thought DK was one of the ugliest, if not the ugliest character in Smash 4, I find the new design to be infinitely better.

Seems they smoothed out his fur for Smash Ultimate.

mZuzek said:
curl-6 said:

And actually I'd say Dark Samus is the bigger upgrade.

For sure, but it's an unfair one too. Going from an assist trophy to a proper character, it was always going to be a massive improvement since obviously assists won't be given as much care.

I also think Bowser looks ugly, by the way. People say it's because of the new lighting engine and while that might be true, Bowser's colors do look weird in every single shot he's in. It also doesn't look at all like a new model to me, just retextured from Smash 4.

Personally I'd say the biggest improvement was Zelda, but if redesigns don't count, then Zero Suit Samus.

She was an aberration, now she looks like an actual person.

Edit: oh and of course, cue "they nerfed boobs" hate. Oh, the internet.

Not really a fair comparison for ZSS.  I don't think she actually changed that much.  It's just that that particular move had a really awkward animation.  They actually changed it a bit in Ultimate, so she doesn't extend her left leg forward as much, or bend forward in a weird way.