By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony first Party games sales, A huge leap from PS3 era. ( Entered Ninty Level ) Update: GOW at 10m & Uncharted 4 16M

CGI-Quality said:
VideoGameAccountant said:
Two things I want to point out. The 16 million for Uncharted 4 should probably be removed as it's VERY dubious. Sony's official information only has the game at 8.7 million after 266 days after launch. Sony does update other games that keep selling. Horizon shows up through 672 days with 10 million. We're saying the game doubled in sales and sold another 8 million a year after it came out? Maybe it's all bundels but I'd say that it's probably closer to 8, not 16.
See pg 9
https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/18q4_supplement.pdf

On the sales, one thing to keep in mind is that all of these titles are releasing late into the system's life, after the system already has a large install base. In other words, they didn't move the system, more likely the system moved them. It seems more like 3rd party games pushed the system and then Sony's first party games road the wave thereafter. Fun fact, Bloodborn, released in 2015, has only sold 1 million according to Sony. We'll get a better idea when Gen 9 gets moving into high gear if their first party line up is really moving units or if the rising tide lifted all boats.

Sony's official info has Uncharted 4 well over 10 million (though no exact figure is given, the graph reveals plenty). And, you're really reaching if you're trying to diminish the achievement of these games because 'they didn't sell the system, the system sold them'. 

Btw, Bloodborne sold 1 million within its first month (you spun that as well). We are now 4 years after the launch of the game, with no idea what its lifetime total is, but one can reasonably assume it sold plenty more after May 2015.

You are talking to a guy who was on a crusade one year ago on this website to make people believe that PS4 will never reach Wii's sales and never top 100M and gave his "data" to prove it.

I thought he was gone because he was totally wrong. 

I expect Epic necrobump when PS4 will be officially over 100M this year. 

Last edited by Keiji - on 21 May 2019

Around the Network

The last of us done a mario kart 8 in that it's port outsold the original, just crazy.

Fun fact, Bloodborne, released in 2015, has only sold 1 million according to Sony.

Fun fact, Bloodborne, released in 2015, sold 2 million in less than 6 months according to Sony (link).

We don't know how many additional units it has moved the past 4 years but thanks to the trophy leak gamestat calculated that Bloodborne's player count is over 12M (link). Of course player count doesn't translate to sales but trying to insinuate that its sales are close to 1M is ignorant at best, trolling at worst.

Replicant said:
Fun fact, Bloodborne, released in 2015, has only sold 1 million according to Sony.

We don't know how many additional units it has moved the past 4 years but thanks to the trophy leak gamestat calculated that Bloodborne's player count is over 12M (link). Of course player count doesn't translate to sales but trying to insinuate that its sales are close to 1M is ignorant at best, trolling at worst.

If my english was better, I would have said the same thing.

RolStoppable said:
Keiji said:

I'm just saying a theory and I don't troll : is the fact that soon the best selling consoles of all time are PlayStation 2, DS and PlayStation 4 make some Nintendo fans kind of angry with Sony domination. So if now we are saying great things about Sony exclusives software, it's kind of too much for them.

I'm okay to edit the thread title and remove "(Entered Ninty Leve)" even if the OP make this like a compliment and with no bad intentions. 

Are we now supposed to pretend that Sony fans have acted civil in this thread while Nintendo fans have not?

The OP made a claim, it was challenged and proved to be wrong as the top 10 lists for the PS4 and Switch have shown. If the OP didn't want comparisons with Nintendo systems like Switch, Wii or DS, the title should have been more specific.

Bad intentions are debatable. While there might have been none, the second error of the title is that it talks about a leap over the PS3 era which clearly implies a PS3 vs. PS4 comparison, but the OP didn't keep it honest and combined the sales of The Last of Us for PS3 and PS4 to make the numbers more impressive than they really are. This kind of action shows that the focus of the thread was and is on a comparison between Sony and Nintendo.

Given that you yourself have taken issue with the false claims of VideoGameAccountant in the past and the present, you should hold yourself to the same standard. So when facts are brought to the table in this thread and Sony's best isn't in the same league as Nintendo's best, then that should be accepted by you instead of coming up with theories about angry Nintendo fans.

Lastly, if any sort of comparison between Sony and Nintendo qualified, there might have as well PS2 vs. GC been used. Suddenly the whole "entered Ninty level" achievement of the PS4 rings hollow because Sony has been there before when data is picked according to how it suits the desired conclusion.

Wow... so many lies in just a post....impressive Rol.

The OP claim has never been proved wrong. Top 10 list for Switch and PS4 shown they're a tied in number of games selling more than 10M. OP's claim was Sony's game now can compete with Nintendo's games in sales.

The Last of Us is a game from 2013 (PS4 version from 2014). Mario Kart 8 is a game from 2014 (Switch version from 2017). Horizon Zero Dawn, Mario Odyssey and Zelda Breath of the Wild are games from 2017. Pokemon Let's Go, Super Smash Bros Ultimate, God of War and Spiderman are games from 2018. All the games listed here in this thread that has surpassed 10M from both companies have launched basically in the same period of time, so no advantages.

The ranking of sales is as it follows:

Mario Kart 8 (+ DX version) > The Last of Us (PS3+PS4) > Uncharted 4 > Super Mario Odyssey > Zelda Breath of the Wild > Super Smash Bros Ultimate > Spiderman > God of War > Horizon Zero Dawn > Pokemon let's Go.

If the comparison is PS3 era to PS4 era why in the world The Last of Us sales combined between PS3 and PS4 and are dishonest?? The Last of Us launched the same year PS4 was announced and launched. Your nitpicking is something else. You can do the same thing for MK 8 and Zelda BOTW counting WiiU sales if you want. It won't change the result....

Facts were brought to the table numerous times and Sony's best is indeed in the same league as Nintendo's best this gen (or era if we are precise to the thread title). I don't know what numbers are you seeing...Like i said, 5 home console games from both companies in the last 6 years surpassed 10M as of today, and both still have more games that can reach that milestone too.

Why are we going to use PS2 and GC numbers when the thread is explicitly saying that Sony games are "entering Nintendo levels" NOW, precisely because they weren't before.

I don't really understand Nintendo fans here and their superiority complex with anything Nintendo vs Sony. Seriously..., it was just a compliment and you are trying so hard to make it sound as it was some kind of insult when it was not... at all.

Last edited by colafitte - on 21 May 2019

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
colafitte said:

Wow... how many lies in just a post....impressive Rol.

The OP claim has never been proved wrong. Top 10 list for Switch and PS4 shown they're a tied in number of games selling more than 10M. OP's claim was Sony's game now can compete with Nintendo's games in sales.

The Last of Us is a game from 2013 (PS4 version from 2014). Mario Kart 8 is a game from 2014 (Switch version from 2017). Horizon Zero Dawn, Mario Odyssey and Zelda Breath of the Wild are games from 2017. Pokemon Let's Go, Super Smash Bros Ultimate, God of War and Spiderman are games from 2018. All the games listed here in this thread that has surpassed 10M from both companies have launched basically in the same period of time, so no advantages.

Mario Kart 8 (+ DX version) > The Last of Us (PS3+PS4) > Uncharted 4 > Super Mario Odyssey > Zelda Breath of the Wild > Super Smash Bros Ultimate > Spiderman > God of War > Horizon Zero Dawn > Pokemon let's Go.

If the comparison is PS3 era to PS4 era why in the world The Last of Us sales combined between PS3 and PS4 and are dishonest?? The Last of Us launched the same year PS4 was announced and launched. Your nitpicking is something else. You can do the same thing for MK 8 and Zelda BOTW counting WiiU sales if you want. It won't change the result....

Facts were brought to the table numerous times and Sony's best is indeed in the same league as Nintendo's best this gen (or era if we are precise to the thread title). I don't know what numbers are you seeing...Like i said, 5 home console games from both companies in the last 6 years surpassed 10M as of today, and both still have more games that can reach that milestone too.

Why are we going to use PS2 and GC numbers when the thread is explicitly saying that Sony games are "entering Nintendo levels" NOW, precisely because they weren't before.

I don't really understand Nintendo fans here and their superiority complex with anything Nintendo vs Sony. Seriously..., it was just a compliment and you are trying so hard to make it sound as it was some kind of insult when it was not... at all.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 16.69m (+1.67m)
Super Mario Odyssey - 14.44m (+0.68m)
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 13.81m (+1.73m)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 12.77m (+1.09m)
Pokémon: Let's Go, Evee/Pikachu! - 10.63m (+0.63m)
Splatoon 2 - 8.70m (+0.43m)
Super Mario Party - 6.40m (+1.10m)
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - 3.31m (NEW)
1-2-Switch - 2.97m (+0.11m)
Mario Tennis Aces - 2.64m (+0.11m)

Total: 92.36m

Total: 69.5m*

*Not all games are up to date, but it's certain that there aren't 20m+ units missing from the total. 10m missing would already be a stretch.

As pointed out multiple times before, Nintendo games have better legs and Nintendo has more Switch games left to release than Sony has PS4 games. The gap will continue to grow in Nintendo's favor and when all is said and done, the comparison won't even be close.

This list does not include the order 1886, knack 1, shadow of the colossus, the last guardian, ratchet and clank, uncharted the lost legacy, infamous second son ...

RolStoppable said:

*Not all games are up to date, but it's certain that there aren't 20m+ units missing from the total. 10m missing would already be a stretch.

As pointed out multiple times before, Nintendo games have better legs and Nintendo has more Switch games left to release than Sony has PS4 games. The gap will continue to grow in Nintendo's favor and when all is said and done, the comparison won't even be close.

Lol you now that table is not updated and is filled with incomplete data. You are playind dumb because it interests you now.

Bloodborne and Detroit Become Human have not sold just 4'0M combined. Killzone Shadow Fall did not sell just 2'1M. GT Sport has not sold just 3'3M, etc

You know perfectly that Spiderman just sold 9M just before December and the game sold huge in Europe in December when sales are more important than in November.

This was never a PS4 vs Switch. It's Sony vs Nintendo in the home console territory, so forgetting TLOU ps3 sales is just convenient too.

The true list was brought by me in this thread earlier:

TLOU has sold 20M, Uncharted 4 has sold 16M, God of War has sold 11M, Horizon probably has surpassed 11M sold too already, Spiderman has to be above those games too. Bloodborne sold more than 2M in US according to Benji so is most probably that it has sold more than 5M worldwide as of today. Ratchet and clank 2016 was according to Insomniac, their best selling game before Spiderman launched, so that needs to be another 5-6M more. QD stated Detroit was about to sell 3M in January 2019. GT Sport was announced months ago that it has more than 7M players by PD themselves, so more than 5-6M is a possibility (and historically GT legs, except GT6 are looooong, the game will keep selling for years).... and Days Gone was just announced today that it is the 7th best Sony selling game in the month of launch in NPD history, despite being only 9 days on sale, compared to the rest that had 16 or more days of sales, so most probably in the first month must have sold 3M worldwide at least and soon will have 5M sold too, ....etc.

Uncharted 4, God of War, Spiderman, The Last of Us Part II has as many chances to reach 20M lifetime as any other Nintendo game.

You saying Nintendo games have better legs is a lie. Pokemon and Smash games historically didn't have good legs, at least not as good as 2D Mario or Mario Kart games. They're indeed way more frontloaded than franchises like Gran Turismo, Uncharted or The Last of Us have proved. 

You say Sony doesn't have any 20M games since PS4 era started (it has one, TLOU, again), but Nintendo only has one too, MK8. Nintendo having more games to launch on Switch than can sell 10M or more than PS4 is irrelevant (and yet to see) because again, THIS WAS NEVER A PS4 VS SWITCH COMPARISON. Once GOW 2, HZD 2, Spiderman 2 launch on PS5 the comparison with Nintendo will still exist, even if it's against Switch, and believe me, those games are going to sell a lot.

RolStoppable said:
Keiji said:

I'm just saying a theory and I don't troll : is the fact that soon the best selling consoles of all time are PlayStation 2, DS and PlayStation 4 make some Nintendo fans kind of angry with Sony domination. So if now we are saying great things about Sony exclusives software, it's kind of too much for them.

I'm okay to edit the thread title and remove "(Entered Ninty Leve)" even if the OP make this like a compliment and with no bad intentions. 

Are we now supposed to pretend that Sony fans have acted civil in this thread while Nintendo fans have not?

The OP made a claim, it was challenged and proved to be wrong as the top 10 lists for the PS4 and Switch have shown. If the OP didn't want comparisons with Nintendo systems like Switch, Wii or DS, the title should have been more specific.

Bad intentions are debatable. While there might have been none, the second error of the title is that it talks about a leap over the PS3 era which clearly implies a PS3 vs. PS4 comparison, but the OP didn't keep it honest and combined the sales of The Last of Us for PS3 and PS4 to make the numbers more impressive than they really are. This kind of action shows that the focus of the thread was and is on a comparison between Sony and Nintendo.

Given that you yourself have taken issue with the false claims of VideoGameAccountant in the past and the present, you should hold yourself to the same standard. So when facts are brought to the table in this thread and Sony's best isn't in the same league as Nintendo's best, then that should be accepted by you instead of coming up with theories about angry Nintendo fans.

Lastly, if any sort of comparison between Sony and Nintendo qualified, there might have as well PS2 vs. GC been used. Suddenly the whole "entered Ninty level" achievement of the PS4 rings hollow because Sony has been there before when data is picked according to how it suits the desired conclusion.

The OP seems nice but I think he can't edit the title of the thread. Only mods or some can do this.

Detroit become human finally is close to the 3m.

"Detroit is certainly a radical proposition for some people, but the most important thing for us was the amazing reception the game received from gamers, which has translated into our studio’s biggest commercial success to date. Eight months following the release, we are closing in on 3 million units sold worldwide as an exclusive PS4 title. The game’s commercial performance has been particularly noteworthy in Japan and across all Asia."

https://venturebeat.com/2019/01/29/why-netease-and-quantic-dream-are-teaming-up-for-games-on-multiple-platforms/view-all/

RolStoppable said:
colafitte said:

Wow... how many lies in just a post....impressive Rol.

That's odd, I'm guessing that Uncharted Lost Legacy and the Nathan Drake collection are not a thing.