By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony first Party games sales, A huge leap from PS3 era. ( Entered Ninty Level ) Update: GOW at 10m & Uncharted 4 16M

Dude my answer is for those who come to denigrate and minimize the performance of sony games, because apart from the wii u remasters, the hd porting of ps2/ps3/vita games and X360 plus a few rare PS4/XB1/PC games the observation is that there is nothing new in third party AAA on switch and that's a fact. 90% of big budget games do not come out on swicth unlike the PS4.

So PS4 games under the circumstances make excellent results. On the switch buy nintendo it is a default choice.

Around the Network
Evilms said:
CGI-Quality said:

Although their presence isn't as strong as it is on the PS4, there are quite a few AA multiplats that have made their way to the Switch (and, I would assume they're selling enough to justify a continuance). 

I know, I'm just pointing out that on PS4 there are so many games that people are forced to make a choice. On Switch the question is not asked people mainly buy Nintendo games on it, because not too much choice for AAA third party.

Just in 2018.....Monster Hunter World, Far Cry 5, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Call of Duty Black Ops IIII, Red Dead Redemption II, Battlefield V, Fallout 76, FIFA 19, NBA 2k19, Madden NFL 19 (yeah i know some of them are on Switch too but not even close at the same level), ....

And just in the first half of 2019....Kingdom Hearts III, Resident Evil 2 Remake, Sekiro, The Division 2, Anthem, Devil May Cry 5, ....

The competion a game like GOW has to face in PS4 is not even close to an exclusive Nintendo game on Switch. Most of those games launch even in the same month. When you buy Switch AAA games it's usually the only game of that level in that month, and most probably is the first one in months to lauch too. a PS4 owner, usually can't afford to buy 6 or 7 games in a period of 2 or 3 months (like it happens every year in the holiday season), so some people are going to buy game A, others are going to buy game B and others are going to buy game C (and most of them, because they want that other game, are going to wait a price cut to buy that game), while on Switch is more easy that most users buy game A at the same time. 

Edit: and the reason exclusive games on PS Vita didn't work, was because the console did not have good AAA games like PSP, PS3 or PS4 have, period. If PSV had a The Last of Us kind of game, a God of War, a Spiderman, a Horizon, and the support of 3rd parties with as successful games as in PS3 or PS4, PSV would've been a success like PSP too, but it wasn't.

If the next PS5 launched with the same support for 3rd parties as Switch, i'm pretty convinced the exclusives like GOW 2, Spiderman 2 or Horizon 2 would sell the same, but PS5 would drop like in half the sales....That's what makes PS home console much more succesful than Nintendo ones...., and it's that 3rd party support.

Last edited by colafitte - on 21 May 2019

CGI-Quality said:
Ljink96 said:

I thought this was about 1st part game sales...huh. Strange some off topic is allowed and some isn't. 

So the error can be potentially be corrected, how was Evilms' post treated any different from other posts that can be seen as off-topic?

"Given the context of the thread (unit sales of 1st party titles), it isn't an important question to ask."

vs.

"Although their presence isn't as strong as it is on the PS4, there are quite a few AAA multiplats that have made their way to the Switch (and, I would assume they're selling enough to justify a continuance)."

I dunno, Both are off topic, but I feel the responses are differing in nature, but hey maybe that's just me. The VGChartz mod team I knew really didn't like off topic posts. 

If it were me, I'd rename the thread this:
Sony's PS4 first party games sales, A huge leap from PS3 era. ( Entering Ninty Level for current gen)

That way, it forces people to discuss the PS4's first party games against its competition of Nintendo for this gen, which would be the Wii U and 3DS. No nonsense off topic discussions of the Switch (Many Nintendo fans here believe that the switch is a next gen device).

The Wii U has no 10 million sellers while the 3DS has seven. The PS4 currently has four confirmed, one that shipped 9 million in four months and upcoming sequel of a game that sold over 10 million. Also there is no data of prior PS4 first part game sales so we don't know who else is close to that mark. The overall pace of the thread will still be a positive for Sony as their PS4 first party titles are a huge step up sales wise from the PS3 and they are indeed entering Nintendo level sales for their first party for this gen...which is a feat they have never amassed.

edit:

Also criticisms/excuses/whatever for the PS4, such as Uncharted being $17, it being heavily bundled, differences in profit between game titles can be shooed away as Nintendo had many of the same practices for their systems during their existence this gen.

Last edited by Train wreck - on 21 May 2019

Train wreck said:
If it were me, I'd rename the thread this:
Sony's PS4 first party games sales, A huge leap from PS3 era. ( Entering Ninty Level for current gen)

That way, it forces people to discuss the PS4's first party games against its competition of Nintendo for this gen, which would be the Wii U and 3DS. No nonsense off topic discussions of the Switch (Many Nintendo fans here believe that the switch is a next gen device).

The Wii U has no 10 million sellers while the 3DS has seven. The PS4 currently has four confirmed, one that shipped 9 million in four months and upcoming sequel of a game that sold over 10 million. Also there is no data of prior PS4 first part game sales so we don't know who else is close to that mark. The overall pace of the thread will still be a positive for Sony as their PS4 first party titles are a huge step up sales wise from the PS3 and they are indeed entering Nintendo level sales for their first party for this gen...which is a feat they have never amassed.

But we are not comparing PS4 to 3DS (which is a handheld and it's not the competion for PS4) or WiiU. We are comparing to Nintendo tself, and that requires  the Switch. That's the point of the topic. The argument is that a PS4 1st party game can be expected to be as succesful (or very close to) as any new Nintendo home console game that launches in 2019 and in the near future, in this case on Switch, something that it was impossible to expect on the PS3. It doesn't matter what gen is one console or another...

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Ljink96 said:

"Given the context of the thread (unit sales of 1st party titles), it isn't an important question to ask."

vs.

"Although their presence isn't as strong as it is on the PS4, there are quite a few AAA multiplats that have made their way to the Switch (and, I would assume they're selling enough to justify a continuance)."

I dunno, Both are off topic, but I feel the responses are differing in nature, but hey maybe that's just me. The VGChartz mod team I knew really didn't like off topic posts. 

They both address the points being made. The difference? I can see why multiplatform games are brought up.....to a degree (Evil's point mentions them in conjunction to 1st Party titles). Financials are totally irrelevant, though. 

Besides, as stated in the Rules, sometimes things go a little off-topic. Some bending is allowed, but no one was treated any different despite the variables.

Huh...really? I don't think I can see even to a degree why 3rd party sales would be brought to a 1st party sales discussion...even in conjunction because frankly I don't think those sales matter in this specific discussion. Conjunction implies juxtaposition, and imo the only things that really should be juxtaposed are Nintendo 1st party Sales and Sony 1st party sales. 

But as long as the new rules allow bending I guess my thoughts are rendered irrelevant. Guess the mod team has gotten softer, that's good! Carry on then. 

Ljink96 said:
CGI-Quality said:

They both address the points being made. The difference? I can see why multiplatform games are brought up.....to a degree (Evil's point mentions them in conjunction to 1st Party titles). Financials are totally irrelevant, though. 

Besides, as stated in the Rules, sometimes things go a little off-topic. Some bending is allowed, but no one was treated any different despite the variables.

Huh...really? I don't think I can see even to a degree why 3rd party sales would be brought to a 1st party sales discussion...even in conjunction because frankly I don't think those sales matter in this specific discussion. Conjunction implies juxtaposition, and imo the only things that really should be juxtaposed are Nintendo 1st party Sales and Sony 1st party sales. 

But as long as the new rules allow bending I guess my thoughts are rendered irrelevant. Guess the mod team has gotten softer, that's good! Carry on then. 

So, you honestly believe that a game like...let's say, Super Mario Party last year during the holiday season would sell the same if the Switch was capable to perform at the same level as PS4 games like Call of Duty BO 4, AC Odyssey, NBA 2k19, FIFA 19, Fallout 76, Red Dead Redemption II, ....Do you really think it won't affect the sales of that game at all??? Or maybe, that game will sell the same but those other games will sell way less on Switch because people prefered Super Mario Party instead?? or maybe every game will sell as good as possible?

Ljink96 said:
CGI-Quality said:

In terms of full priced games, there is less to choose from on Nintendo platforms as compared to their Playstation counterparts. People in general only spend X amount of $$$ on any given platform....It's not something anybody has a solid handle on though, so the impact of such contrasting dynamics is mostly speculation. Worth addressing at the very least. Some people may even present solid ideas on the topic. Not me though!

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

colafitte said:
Ljink96 said:

So, you honestly believe that a game like...let's say, Super Mario Party last year during the holiday season would sell the same if the Switch was capable to perform at the same level as PS4 games like Call of Duty BO 4, AC Odyssey, NBA 2k19, FIFA 19, Fallout 76, Red Dead Redemption II, ....Do you really think it won't affect the sales of that game at all??? Or maybe, that game will sell the same but those other games will sell way less on Switch because people prefered Super Mario Party instead?? or maybe every game will sell as good as possible?

I mean...you're bringing "what ifs" to a "what is" conversation...I don't see how that solves anything and I'm not that interested in  Nintendo's demographic really doesn't get hard for the type of games you've mentioned, I mean it's a silly way to put it but it's true. And then you'd have to get the data of how many people who play Fallout also love Mario Party and would buy it, that's just really messy and only complicates what the main idea of the thread really is. 

Ljink96 said:
colafitte said:

I mean...you're bringing "what ifs" to a "what is" conversation...I don't see how that solves anything and I'm not that interested in  Nintendo's demographic really doesn't get hard for the type of games you've mentioned, I mean it's a silly way to put it but it's true. And then you'd have to get the data of how many people who play Fallout also love Mario Party and would buy it, that's just really messy and only complicates what the main idea of the thread really is. 

With this way of thinking we would never discuss anything, because what is this site if not "what ifs" or "what is" conversations??. If you don't want to understand why things happen and how it happen it's on you, but everyone else interested in this topic are going to try to.

For you, to have the reason, you have to expect that any of those games have any % of impact on Super Mario Party sales. Even if it's just one game affecting 1% of the sales, that's already proving my point. That consumer that goes to a game shop to buy a game for his/her Switch console and instead to buy Super Mario Party, decides to buy COD.

To me, it's like if in the NBA, i compared Lebron stats surrounded by nobodies in a team that doesn't even get to playoffs to what Durant does in a championship team surrounded by people like Curry, Klay, Green. Lebron could do better numbers than Durant in that situation, but that doesn't mean Durant couldn't do better numbers than Lebron if he was the one playing with scrubs. Individual performance is measured and affected by the the context where you are playing, and in this case, a game launched on Switch is not affected the same because of competition as one coming on PS4, and that's VERY RELEVANT to why, for example, a game like God of War has so much merit selling that well.

Last edited by colafitte - on 21 May 2019