By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN reviewer copies Boomstick Gaming's Dead Cells review

contestgamer said:
OK, OK. Everyone here is right on reflection, it's pretty bad.

Kudos for admitting that your original stance was incorrect. You don't see enough humility like this on the internet. 
Admitting one's own faults is a good character trait. 

Around the Network
OdinHades said:
KLAMarine said:

Interesting. What's it take to freelance? Do you need some sort of background or can anyone just write something up and sell it assuming the piece is good?

You don't need any kind of special education. Before I became an author, I got an education as a cook and was flippin' burgers at Mc Donald's. I just decided that I need another job and I couldn't be bothered to do yet another education. So I just started to write for free for smaller websites and local newspapers. I sent them some articles which I thought would fit and asked them to publish it. It took quite a while until the first article got published. When I got like a dozen articles published with my name on it, I used that as a reference to find paid work. There are portals where companies acitvely search for freelance authors. That's where I found my first paid orders. Payment was shit, often less than one cent per word. But I stuck to it and published more and more articles.

With the time, my articles got the attention of bigger companies and they asked me to do orders for them. Over the years it got to a point where I don't even need to look for orders anymore. Instead I have to constantly turn some of them down because I am just not able to write them all by myself. I was even thinking about hiring a second author. But I'm a little bit scared of all that taxes and social insurance stuff. Whatever, today I got quite a lot of articles published and even wrote cover stories for magazines and whatnot.

When it comes to gaming, the initiative came from my end. I actively searched for work in that regard because it was kinda like a childhood dream for me to become a gaming journalist. Getting those jobs was easy as I had quite a lot of articles published by then. It also helped to get the internship at Gamestar. But when I discovered just how little you earn there, I decided that it will stay a thing on the side for me. It would be ok if I would still be in my 20s, but today I have a wife and a son so I need myself some more munniez. 

But yeah, all you need is a good writing style and you can be successful as an author even without having studied journalism or something. And please don't take my posts here as a reference. My english is often horrible, I am way better at writing in german. I really need to improve in that regard, because when I can write professional articles in english, that would open up a whole lot of new opportunities for me! ^^

Thanks for the info, interesting stuff! Your English seems great btw, look into start writing English articles soon!

So i guess IGN handled this the best way they could. Great way of destroying your own life, he has no credibility left. Nobody is going to hire him now

That is a blatant and malicious act for someone who should know better than anyone else. Did he ever even work in media? How many other things did he copy before working there to get his popularity? How can anyone not know that is something you don’t do?? I’m glad IGN got rid of him. He doesn’t deserve that position.

Last edited by zygote - on 08 August 2018