By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Retron 77 - The Ultimate HD Atari Machine?

I just finished up a review of Hyperkin's new Retron 77 and, considering how fast it sold out, I was surprised by the fact that there's no chatter about it on VGChartz. I've seen several stories about the Atari Box, now called VCS, but you'd think an HD clone console of the 2600 would be getting more hype on here. 

Here's my review, for those who don't know much about it:

What do you guys think? Is something like this comparable or better than the "mini" craze that's sweeping the market right now? Would you prefer digital downloads like Sega Ages? Are you content with PC emulation without the retro window dressing? 

Let's hear it!

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Around the Network

The ability to use original games and accessories is a massive improvement.

Barkley said:
The ability to use original games and accessories is a massive improvement.

I believe so too. I would have rather had an FPGA solution, but this thing is accessible, plays carts, and has a nice aesthetic. I'd like to see Nintendo release a Mini that has their set of highlight games, but also run most of the library off of the original carts.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Wow, it's crazy how fast discussion took off of this thing on all of the other gaming forums I'm a part of, but died a quick and brutal death on here lol.

I know VGChartz is forward thinking, but no love for the 2600 :'(

StuOhQ said:
Wow, it's crazy how fast discussion took off of this thing on all of the other gaming forums I'm a part of, but died a quick and brutal death on here lol.

I know VGChartz is forward thinking, but no love for the 2600 :'(

I mean....I like the 2600 but there's only so many times I can get excited for Atari these days. Playing them in HD...I mean. Is that really something we really need? There aren't many here that can well...appreciate this era of gaming, so that plays a huge role on how it's received. I only know/care a ton about Atari because of flashbacks that my aunts would get me and reading up on history after that. 

Then again I don't have any actual carts for the 2600, so I don't think this would be that much more of a good investment for me. But I'm glad other people are liking this.

Around the Network

It's cool. I started gaming in the early 80's on a 2600. But, that was 35ish years ago. I'm not interested in going back to those days. So, as cool as it is, I'll pass on this system.

I honestly don't think that this device has a strong audience that it can market to.

Purists will be annoyed with the kind of hit and miss emulation. I don't think that newcomers will appreciate the device either since the games are just too primitive compared to what's offered now, especially with the rise of mobile gaming which have very similar games to the Atari 2600. I think that Retron needs to work on improving their emulation and should focus on targeting the people who have fond memories of the Atari 2600.

Nice job on the video!