By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo games seemed rushed during the Gamecube generation

mZuzek said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Glitching through walls doesn't count. 

And Pikmin 1 had days on timers so you were forced to either finish the game in a set amount of time, or lose. Technically, if you never repeated a single day you could beat Pikmin 1 in 6.5 hours, because there are 30 days lasting 13 minutes. But even if you went back and repeated multiple days via save scumming you still wouldn't be able to spend more than 10 hours on a single playthrough. 

Still. I used the OoT example to make the point that how long it takes to beat a game is irrelevant as to whether it was or wasn't rushed.

Personally, I've never played Pikmin 1 or 2, but I did play 3 and beat it in 15 hours, it didn't feel rushed at all - I was just disappointed at how little fun I had trying to replay it, which made it so I never moved past the 15-hour mark with it. Thankfully, I got it for free, so, whatever.

Glitching through a game makes you skip the vast majority of the content though. And it's content that makes us feel whether or not a game has been rushed. OoT had tons of content so we didn't think it was rushed at all. A game can be beatable in ten hours and still be a game that wasn't rushed, if there's plenty of replay value hidden in the game, via extra content. Pikmin 1 had almost no replay value, because you saw the entire game on your first playthrough. The only challenge was to see if you could beat it faster, or with more Pikmin. But that wouldn't unlock new stages, or bosses or anything else that counts as new content. Pikmin 2 on the other hand was bursting with things to do after legitimately beating the game. 

Around the Network

The Gamecube only has one game which made it into my top 100 of all time and that is the Fire Emblem game.  It's best game is a niche title.  On the other hand I've had a ton of fun playing GBA games on my Gamecube.  Now if I had to ask which system was better, GBA or PS2?  That would be a hard matchup.  Both have a lot of great games, but in the end I have to give it to PS2.  At least that matchup is close though.

The Gamecube does not even remotely compare to the PS2.  The PS2 had so many great games.  Hell even Sony's first party lineup was pretty good.  They had games like Shadow of the Colossus.  Generation 6 on home console is the one time where I might even say that Sony's first party lineup was better than Nintendo's.  (Normally I'd say Nintendo's first party lineup if far stronger.)  Then when you add all of the great third party games on the PS2, well it's just no contest.